•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece suggestion for AT80ED

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:17 PM

I am waiting for delivery of an Astro Tech AT80ED, due this Friday. I have never owned a short tube refractor before, so now I'm wondering about eyepieces. The best ep I have suitable for this scope is the 24mm Panoptic, but probably a 2-inch is needed to achieve the best views. I really don't want to spend more on an ep than I spent on the scope, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. It would be nice to find an ep that suits an 80mm f/7 so well that there would seldom be a need to switch out. I know, perfection is elusive and never cheap.

#2 cst4

cst4

Messenger

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

I don't think you need anything lower power than the 24mm Panoptic.  That's only 23x in that scope which is very low power.  You could go lower with a long focal length 2" EP but I do not see the need... any lower than that and might as well just grab some binoculars.  According to your signature you have a Baader zoom.  That plus the pan covers everything in that scope from 23x to 70x very well.  If I were you, I would concentrate on the 70x to 170x magnification range with my next purchase(s).  Adding a 2.5x barlow or Powermate to the zoom would cover it perfectly.  Or 2 or 3 individual EP's between 3.2mm and 8mm would do the trick as well... you could do 3.5mm, 5mm, and 7mm T6 Naglers if you like Televue.  

#3 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

If you want an eyepiece you can just put in and forget switchin I might suggest the 13mm Ethos or13mm APM XWA which is only $250 but right there with the Ethos. It willgive you a 2.3 deg TFOV and better image scale then the 24mm Pan. Or since you have tbe pan you could go with shorter FL, but then you will go below 2 deg field.
  • Dave Mitsky likes this

#4 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

That 24Pan should be really good. To go wider at less than the highest costs you might look at the APM UFF 30mm that's been getting a lot of high marks recently.

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:13 PM

I own a number of short-focal-length refractors and agree that a 24mm Panoptic negates the need for a 2" eyepiece for the most part.  As russell23 said, a 13mm 100 degree AFOV eyepiece should provide excellent views.

#6 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I do think now that the 24mm Pan is the lowest power I'd want to go with. As a matter of fact, I recently bought  a pair of Vortex 10 x 50 Viper binoculars and, as cst4 said, it makes no sense to stray into that territory. I do have the Baader zoom, which was also suggested as a good fit. I once had a 13mm Ethos but, for reasons I can't now fathom, I sold it several years ago. I wish I had it now, but that's water under the bridge. Thanks for convincing me that I already have all the eyepieces I really need (although I will look into the 13mm APM XWA that russell23 mentioned). 

#7 cupton

cupton

Mariner 2

• Loc: Marshall Township, PA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

An 8-24 Vixen zoom with the occasional 2x barlow and an ES 68, 28mm are the only two EP's I really use in my ED80 scope. Pretty content with my minimalist setup actually. I wouldn't mind trying the Baader zoom one day. But until then I don't know what Im missing! ;) 

• Ed Fortier likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics