•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 2020-07-13 0730 UTC & 2020-07-14 0715 UTC

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:17 PM

The morning of the thirteenth wasn't the best for planetary work, but after such a long dry spell due to a raging Jet Stream -- about 10 days -- I was itching to see what could be seen. Other than a large festoon in the EZ, there wasn't much else of note visible that morning. The seeing was poor enough that I packed it in after a mere 30 minutes.

Jupiter 2020-07-13 0800 UTC.jpg

This morning, the seeing was great! My standard star for judging seeing, Pi Sagittarii, looked great at 324X! During moments of steadiness, I could count 3 mostly complete diffraction rings  - I judged the seeing to be P5 -> P6 with brief moments of P7 thrown in for good measure. I made two sketches interspaced over roughly 1 hour. Io was transiting across the face of Jupiter just as I began observing and it was really cool to see its bright little disc merge with the planet and then appear as a bright white spot against the face of the planet. Of note in the second sketch are Oval BA & a dark condensation on the NEB that is comparable in size though nowhere nearly as well defined as the GRS. Here's a sketch - 

Jupiter 2020-07-14 0715 UTC.jpg

The forecast for tonight and early next morning is looking good, so expect more sketches. I need to start observing Mars seriously as well.

• Special Ed, wargrafix, photomagica and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics