•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upside and downside of a 8SE or 9.25 evo scope?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Midwest

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:39 PM

I'm thinking of adding a 3rd scope (100ED and 10 inch Dob currently) and it's been suggested I look at an 8SE or 9.25 Evo... could members share the ups and downs and ins and outs of those?  They seem to be portable (just barely) so that's probably as big as i'd want to go.  Looking for something with GoTo 

I'm still a bit of a newbie and trying to avoid surprises like I had with the Dob ("they're great, once you add coma correction and spacers and they like expensive eyepieces...") - for example, I think I read they're more prone to fogging - also that the FL is long, is that right?

Visual only.  Reasonable skies Bortle 5 and sometimes I travel to dark skies.

Budget is 1000-2500 or so.  If there are other scopes I should consider please fire away

Thanks

Edited by JJack, 14 July 2020 - 02:42 PM.

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:02 PM

SCTs are prone to fogging and it's a problem that has to be actively managed.  If you're in IL WI OH IN etc it's probably an issue.  If you're in NE or KA it probably isn't.

Eventually you should put your refractor on top of your SCT.   I could not pull that off on your current budget though.  You would need a good mount for starters, and that will eat up budget.

I think an SCT paired with a refractor on a solid dependable mount is a terrific way to enjoy the sky.  

regards

Greg N

c8 with Vixen 102mm 4 inch.jpg

Edited by gnowellsct, 14 July 2020 - 03:04 PM.

• George N and JJack like this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:13 PM

An 8"  SCT would compliment you 1" Dob but have  less FOV and more magnification using the same eyepieces (as with the Dob).

For an easy GOTO set up the SCT could be the ticket for those nights you just want to hit GOTO and view.

A Dew shield would most likely be all you need unless you view for 5+ hrs or in an extremely humid environment.

You could also upgrade the Dob to a 10" GOTO but that's another story

#4 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:08 PM

An 8"  SCT would compliment you 1" Dob but have  less FOV and more magnification using the same eyepieces (as with the Dob).

For an easy GOTO set up the SCT could be the ticket for those nights you just want to hit GOTO and view.

A Dew shield would most likely be all you need unless you view for 5+ hrs or in an extremely humid environment.

You could also upgrade the Dob to a 10" GOTO but that's another story

I think I'm going to keep the Dob very basic 

The dew shield is a good tip thanks 

#5 crn3371

crn3371

Vostok 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

OTA’s aside, I would much prefer the Evolution mount over the SE. More robust, higher weight capacity, built in battery and WiFi.

• Don W, ewave, gnowellsct and 3 others like this

#6 John Harrington

John Harrington

Author - "Shallow Sky"

• Vendors
  • Loc: New England

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

+1 for the Evolution mount over the SE.

• Don W, ewave and Jim4321 like this

#7 vjstangelo

vjstangelo

Explorer 1

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:59 PM

Have both SE and EVO. SE is smaller and easier to carry. Handles an 8 sct fine.

#8 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

Thanks all 

Maybe my questions are more basic: what are the compromises and strengths of this type of scope?  

I'm not well-informed on them 

#9 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:00 PM

Light weight, 3 pieces:  tripod, mount, OTA.

Unlike a DOB or refractor, the eyepiece viewing location doesn't change as much between zenith and the horizon.

They are high magnification.  2 inch wide field eyepieces are a plus.

Goto is nice, especially if you have light pollution.  The mount will find objects you could never hope to starhop to.

You have to deal with dew.

The EVO is the better of the two.

Since you already have a 10 inch DOB, I would probably recommend the EVO 8.  The 9.25 is a monster.

Edited by whizbang, 16 July 2020 - 06:16 PM.

• ewave and JJack like this

#10 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

I have C8 SE and an Evo 9.25.

Evo wins by surprising margin in views, photon count, built in wifi and battery. Sky surf with iPad and SkySafari out of the box. Turn key system except for dew shield extra.

Yes it's heavier and larger if that matters to you.

I don't have any larger scopes so your Dob may influence your scope/views choice.

• JJack likes this

#11 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:16 PM

My 9.25 Evo is sort of heavy, but breaks down into 3 manageable pieces.  Even at a distinctly non-athletic 71 I can manage it.  It's my go-to rig for almost everything visual despite having smaller rigs.  Aside from the dew shield, add a .63 reducer / flattener to the budget; it'll give you wider fields. Also budget for an improved finder; the supplied RDF is pretty pathetic even for basic alignment. I like my added Orion 9x50 and mounted GLP.  With a tablet & Sky Portal / Safari app, you can run it via wifi as long as you don't expect long range. But IME you'll still want the wired controller for fine centering and other small movements.  I've had an Evo mount since late 2014, and tried a couple of the competitors; still got the Evo.

Jim H.

• JJack and B l a k S t a r like this

#12 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:23 PM

My 9.25 Evo is sort of heavy, but breaks down into 3 manageable pieces.  Even at a distinctly non-athletic 71 I can manage it.  It's my go-to rig for almost everything visual despite having smaller rigs.  Aside from the dew shield, add a .63 reducer / flattener to the budget; it'll give you wider fields. Also budget for an improved finder; the supplied RDF is pretty pathetic even for basic alignment. I like my added Orion 9x50 and mounted GLP.  With a tablet & Sky Portal / Safari app, you can run it via wifi as long as you don't expect long range. But IME you'll still want the wired controller for fine centering and other small movements.  I've had an Evo mount since late 2014, and tried a couple of the competitors; still got the Evo.

Jim H.

SkySafari documentation advises against using the HC and the app together as they are not able to be aligned to each other. But if it works for you the difference may be negligible. 

#13 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:29 PM

I had an SE8 for several years. It is a nice system. Compact, comfortable to use with good goto performance. The downside is it was quite shaky to focus. Vibration suppression pads and keeping the tripod low helped. but the shakes are the mount itself. I spend quite a bit of time at a star party next to a fellow with an Evo 8 and it had all the qualities of the SE but the mount is far more solid. I'd go with the EVO 8.

• JJack likes this

#14 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:31 PM

Great, thanks.  Would adding a dew shield be sufficient or would I need active management?

Wait, I see above someone suggests I need active management - I live in the middle of Michigan not crazy humid but not dry

Edited by JJack, 16 July 2020 - 01:33 PM.

#15 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:39 PM

I have C8 SE and an Evo 9.25.

Evo wins by surprising margin in views, photon count, built in wifi and battery. Sky surf with iPad and SkySafari out of the box. Turn key system except for dew shield extra.

Yes it's heavier and larger if that matters to you.

I don't have any larger scopes so your Dob may influence your scope/views choice.

The downside of the Dob for me, and why I might go down to 2 active scopes, is the imprecision of the wooden mount (also, my mount is falling apart) - 

#16 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:42 PM

BlakStar, I only use the HC's direction keys; guess I should have made that clearer.  There's absolutely no conflict with the app, and less 'laggy' action.  

Jim H.

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#17 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

I live in Central Florida so a heat strip with a controller was necessary. You will want both the shield and the heat strip so you can use a minimum of heat on the heat strip. For two reasons a heat strip on high can cause heat plumes in the light path and mess up your views and the second reason is heat strips on high will suck your battery dry.

• JJack likes this

#18 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:39 PM

I have driven my C8 to dark sites in a Honda Civic. It is a great "all around" scope for viewing enjoyment. Yes, SCT's need collocation.

A 9.25 is too heavy for me to haul around.

#19 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

I was being imprecise: I should have said any 8 or 9.25 in that price range (1500-2500 with GoTo stand)

#20 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 16 July 2020 - 04:24 PM

well both the se 8 and 9.25 evolution are both very worthy contenders.

light grasp wise the 9.25 not leaps and bounds over the 8”so the obvious choice for me would be the evolution due to being packed full of technology ie the lithium power pack built into the side of the fork arm will give you a guesstimate of around 12-15 hrs run time on a full charge (no more cables wrapping around the fork or forks)I would say it’s definitely much more manageable than the CPC 9.25 which I owned.optically the 9.25 is superior to the 8” and is one of the best sct off the shelf sct cassagrains out there for planetary observing (false colour is very limited) hardly noticeable some do prefer the 9.25 over the 11 for its excellence and heard in the grapevine that for some unknown reason quality control was stricter on this particular scope.

its a very versatile scope also celestrons any three star alignment is a breeze as you can align on any star and you don,t even have to know the name.

you can also use skyportal WiFi device which just plugs in to the mount arm or base.this then allows  to download a free app off your smart phone or tablet and completely remote control your scope in real time with a planetarium of the whole night sky.

#21 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

The downside of the Dob for me, and why I might go down to 2 active scopes, is the imprecision of the wooden mount (also, my mount is falling apart) - 

Why not upgrade the "mount" of the Dob instead?

There are many "blueprints" if want to craft it by yourself, or have crafted in a carpentry, but may find even fully assembled "Dob kits" you have just to transplant in your mirrors and maybe the focuser

#22 vjstangelo

vjstangelo

Explorer 1

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:49 PM

Only bother with the EVO mount if you can see yourself wanting to upgrade to a 9.25 one day. FWIW, I saw today Celestron has a 60th anniversary edition EVO 8 with a carbon fiber C8 OTA. Looks awesome aesthetically.

#23 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:37 AM

regarding the celestron 60th anniversary Evolution 8 I think you have to be a real celestron buff to consider purchasing that as functionality over looks is more important in this game.as the only advantage I can see in paying an additional $700 is the carbon fibre OTA for slightly better cooling times.the eyepieces might be ok however most serious amateurs at some point change those anyway.(what’s this all about spining interchangeable logos) why did,nt celestron paint the OTA in gold lol and give it a rappers name and built in sound system at the same time.

for me personally sounds cheap and tacky 

#24 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

regarding the celestron 60th anniversary Evolution 8 I think you have to be a real celestron buff to consider purchasing that as functionality over looks is more important in this game.as the only advantage I can see in paying an additional $700 is the carbon fibre OTA for slightly better cooling times.the eyepieces might be ok however most serious amateurs at some point change those anyway.(what’s this all about spining interchangeable logos) why did,nt celestron paint the OTA in gold lol and give it a rappers name and built in sound system at the same time.

for me personally sounds cheap and tacky 

Well an anniversary edition Celestron will never be a Questar anniversary edition. But other than the carbon fiber tube and the special logos it appears to come with a 2" diagonal, the star sense thingamabob and the three eyepieces. But I agree what is offered is not worth an extra $700 to me. I don't find aligning a goto that big a chore and as you point out most observers upgrade from stock eyepieces and I doubt the three that come with it are Celestron's top of the line.

• Jim4321 likes this

#25 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:49 AM

Well an anniversary edition Celestron will never be a Questar anniversary edition. But other than the carbon fiber tube and the special logos it appears to come with a 2" diagonal, the star sense thingamabob and the three eyepieces. But I agree what is offered is not worth an extra $700 to me. I don't find aligning a goto that big a chore and as you point out most observers upgrade from stock eyepieces and I doubt the three that come with it are Celestron's top of the line.

Yes the starsense is a little bit of waste of money I think.reason being with celestrons any bright three star easy align I don,t think star sense will be much quicker to be honest.the other plus point is you can still align with skyportal app not like my Meade you have to align firstly on Audiostar hand set.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics