•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense And Sensibility: A Novel Idea

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

Someone I know has one of these gizmos and loves it 100% and then some.

Looking for other opinions from StarSense users now and its pros and cons if any.
Particularly interested in any attempts to talk me out of splurging €€ on one!

Particularly not interested in PMs from vendors who seem to trawl the forums here trying to sell stuff. Like, I know we all need to earn a crust but c'mon!

I haven't ordered one, but I'm a sucker for gadgets and gizmos. Hell, I live in Ireland and I have a telescope!

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

IMHO It's a worthwhile investment for a GEM which requires the 4 + 2 Star Alignment,especially a long F/L OTA which can be tricky to center Stars

in using a reticle.  I hated my C14/CGE set up until I got one which soon changed my mind on it's worthiness.

For a simple Alt/Az requiring only a 2 star alignment however, I don't find it enough of a difference to matter.

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:12 PM

While you are waiting for your best answer, here are some quotes from the book Sense and Sensibility:  https://bookriot.com...ibility-quotes/

Such as:  “He then departed, to make himself still more interesting, in the midst of a heavy rain.”

• Lacaille and kevinbreen like this

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

While you are waiting for your best answer, here are some quotes from the book Sense and Sensibility: https://bookriot.com...ibility-quotes/

Such as: “He then departed, to make himself still more interesting, in the midst of a heavy rain.”

How depressing!!

"The rain, it raineth every day."

- Billy Speareshaker.
  • Lacaille likes this

#5 phileefan

phileefan

Viking 1

• Loc: Williamsport, PA

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:48 PM

Someone I know has one of these gizmos and loves it 100% and then some.

Looking for other opinions from StarSense users now and its pros and cons if any.
Particularly interested in any attempts to talk me out of splurging €€ on one!

Particularly not interested in PMs from vendors who seem to trawl the forums here trying to sell stuff. Like, I know we all need to earn a crust but c'mon!

I haven't ordered one, but I'm a sucker for gadgets and gizmos. Hell, I live in Ireland and I have a telescope!

Kevin, If/when you decide to purchase a StarSense, don't forget one very important thing...........

20200714_172641 copy.jpg

REMOVE the cap from the lens............ bangbang.gif   That was my mistake from last evening!

So I guess the Autoguide feature in FireCapture does work............ 

• roelb, Pilot87178d and Lacaille like this

#6 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

It's nice to know I'm not the only knob who's into astronomy, Mick!

Reminds me of the time I tried capturing the ISS. Couldn't figure out why I had no frames at all. Yep, lens cap.

#7 crn3371

crn3371

Vostok 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:27 PM

I’m a newb to all of this, but so far I’m quite happy with StarSense on my Evo 8. I put it on auto align and let it do it’s thing while I go about getting the rest of my gear setup for the evening. While certainly not essential I find it to be a nice convenience.

• Pilot87178d likes this

#8 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

Maybe not G-d's, but certainly an astronomy angel's gift to the avocation!  In my experience (3rd season with it), it makes the time all about observing, and some fun photos are  in its wheelhouse, as well.......best accessory in or on the rig other than the GEM.

#9 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:18 PM

Am going to try tonight to calibrate SS starting with Vega and see what happens.,...everything planned for tonight is int he Summer Triangle, and the Saturn/Jupiter combo....love to be precise East and South East this evening...

MUST SS be started roughly North?  Anyone that has tried this?  Helpful hints?

Thx!

Marc 

#10 Pilot87178d

Pilot87178d

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:21 AM

Kevin, If/when you decide to purchase a StarSense, don't forget one very important thing...........

attachicon.gif20200714_172641 copy.jpg

REMOVE the cap from the lens............ bangbang.gif   That was my mistake from last evening!

So I guess the Autoguide feature in FireCapture does work............ 

Yeah....1st thing to check when really frustrated as your app keeps returning the error message that SS can't resolve the plate.  Also, when you can't seem to to connect your cell or 'pad to the device, take another look at whether you moved your connection over to the very well-displayed Celestron link that you have to change to.  Solves things so nicely....cell JUMPS to connect!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics