•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M16 in SHO (first narrowband image)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

My first attempt at a full narrowband image with Ha, OIII, SII filters. I decided with the summer objects rising early in the evening that M16 in SHO would be a fitting selection. With so many good examples of this object in SHO from the Hubble all the way to average Joe's in their backyard, it made processing pretty straight forward for what it should look like. 80% of this project was done in PI, but I shifted to PS to tame the magenta stars with the saturate tool set to magenta and pulling it down to zero. Beyond that not a whole lot was different from processing a broadband image. LHE tool in PI really helped with contrast. No decon or sharpening was done on this as I am not exactly sure how to tackle that with this combine method. Still am really happy with the detail my little 8" RC got. FWHM hovered around 2.4-2.9 for the raw images.

Astrobin higher res and acquistion details HERE

Comments, suggestions, critques always welcomed

M16_SHO-PSv1_CN.jpg

• TimN, elmiko, BenKolt and 5 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:49 PM

very nice work, but what exactly does narrowband mean, I understand the word but in terms of photo?
thanks.

#3 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:54 PM

sunnyday, thanks for the words. Narrowband in terms of the photo means that I captured the three color channels (RGB) with narrowband filters of H-Alpha(G), Oxygen III(B), and Sulfur II®. The filters only allow in a very narrow part of the spectrum...hence the narrowband. Hope that makes sense.

• sunnyday likes this

#4 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:27 AM

I reworked this a bit last night and this morning by not cropping it much at all and then using a AB member (James E) PI technique of inverting the image and applying SCNR to remove the magenta and then invert back. Worked like a champ and I really like this version. Maybe I should try a drizzle version?

Update Astrobin HERE

M16_SHO-v3_CN.jpg

Edited by PeteM, 15 July 2020 - 03:22 PM.

• elmiko, Chris Ryan and PhotonHunter1 like this

#5 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

That second shot is money!!

#6 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

That second shot is money!!

Thanks Teddythefinger! I actually was updating that second shot with a slight adjustment when you posted. I agree this 2nd version is much better.

#7 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:52 PM

I reworked this a bit last night and this morning by not cropping it much at all and then using a AB member (James E) PI technique of inverting the image and applying SCNR to remove the magenta and then invert back. Worked like a champ and I really like this version. Maybe I should try a drizzle version?

Update Astrobin HERE

attachicon.gifM16_SHO-v3_CN.jpg

Love the reworked shot! Would you share a link or point me in the right direction regarding James E magenta star process. Thx.

#8 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:03 PM

Love the reworked shot! Would you share a link or point me in the right direction regarding James E magenta star process. Thx.

Mike, thanks for the comments. The star process is really simple: goto Image->Invert (Ctrl-I), apply SCNR (green), Image->Invert again and that is it. Magenta all gone.

#9 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:24 PM

Wow - simple indeed! Thanks for sharing. 

#10 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:47 PM

Hope that works for you, I am interested in seeing your result using that method.

• PhotonHunter1 likes this

#11 elmiko

elmiko

Aurora

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:23 PM

How did I miss this! Wonderful image Pete! Nice and sharp, great resolution buddy!

#12 PeteM

PeteM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the look and comments! Good to be imaging again and getting decent data.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics