•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can't collimate primary on ES 152 "Comet Hunter" Mak-Newt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 janame

janame

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

I just picked up a used ES 152 "Comet Hunter" Mak-Newt and am trying to get it collimated.  I used a sight tube to adjust the secondary, and believe I've got that taken care of, but I'm having trouble with the primary.

I'm using a laser collimator and have loosened the locking screws in the center of the three thumb screws with a hex key.  No matter how I tighten or loosen the three thumb screws, the laser dot doesn't move at all.  If I press down on one of the loosened thumb screws, the mirror moves (and the laser spot moves), but no amount of fiddling with the screws can get it to hold that position.

I tried removing the mirror cell from the OTA, and I don't see anything obviously wrong.  There are springs between the mirror cell and the thumb screws, so I'm assuming tightening the screws is meant to pull the cell.  I'm wondering if there's an opposing push spring that's missing?  Or maybe there's some trick to doing this?  On my dob, I just rotate the thumb screws and the mirror moves!

#2 iKMN

iKMN

Viking 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:40 PM

I’ve had two CH scopes.  Both of mine came with hex wrenches that were the wrong size for the lock screws on the primary mirror knobs.  It’s a 2.5mm hex that you want.  I do see though that you removed the cell and you can turn the collimation knobs so perhaps it’s something else like stripped screws or something like that?  Good luck with it.  I’ve had two of these and optically they were winners. Hope you get it sorted.

cheers

k

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics