•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) with ISS pass

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• topic starter
  • Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

My son and I had initially planned to catch an International Space Station pass with comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) from the Obed Wild & Scenic River, but a last minute check of satellite images at 4AM showed that there was a decent chance that my originally planned shooting spot would be cloud covered by the time of the ISS pass, so we headed to Norris Dam State Park. The overlook was closed to vehicles, and there were clouds obscuring the comet, so we decided to try the dam (at a lower elevation, but it would be a good place to wait for the clouds to possibly clear). I saw the ISS appear as we were driving back across the dam, so I figured "why not", hopped out, set up the tripod (I had my Star Adventurer with me, but less than 30 seconds isn't enough time to polar align it 😢 ), and popped off this 30 second exposure, fully expecting to not catch the comet as we hadn't even seen it yet. But, even though I was mistakenly at ISO800 shooting into the morning twilight, I was able to pull this out of the blown out frame. The stars and the comet are blurred/streaked due to the Earth's movement over those 30 seconds, but at least I got it I suppose; you can see the comet's nucleus peeking thru between two closely spaced clouds. I am not pleased with this pic, but it is what it is. 

Comet C/2020 F3 (NEOWISE) with the International Space Station
July 12, 2020, ~5:21AM EST
Norris Dam; Norris, TN
Sony A6300, ISO800, 30 sec., single exposure
Rokinon 35mm f/1.4
Adjustments in Luminar

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC4607BW1cn.jpg

• John Rogers, R Botero, gene williams and 9 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

Ooh, I like it! Has that "special something." An ominous beauty, and imperfect beauty too. The best.

Thank you for sharing! waytogo.gif

• aa5te likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics