•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen FL102s good visual scope?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

Nice, I usually stop at my 3.4 HR. Guess I should get a little more greedy.

#27 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

Had a half hour or so to take a quick peek at the Moon, and was completely floored. 8mm TV Plossl, with 3x TV Barlow? No problem, and not even a hint of false colour, or image breakdown. I have never had a telescope that could take that much power, with as much ease. Not even close. My Fullum primary, 14" dob could grab a lot of light, but for some reason, I could never bump things up to much over 200x, before thermals ruined the show. Clear sky clock claims "average" seeing. Dunno...

I'm at a loss for words. The surface of the Moon had an almost 3D appearance, where I wasn't sure if the craters on it were concave, or convex. 

I got my entire cash outlays worth, in one outing...

You will love the improved views with a Baader BBHS Zeiss spec prism, it is a big chunk of change but on these scopes these high spec prisms show you more color and have better contrast that no mirror can match. You should try to borrow one from a club friend and you will know immediately what I am talking about.  

#28 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:35 AM

Congratulations!

I have never looked through a Japanese Vixen refractor I didn't like...

• Nippon and Marcus Roman like this

#29 Jarno

Jarno

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:00 AM

I've bought and sold over a dozen scopes but my Vixen fluorite has been with me for over 20 years now. I've yet to own or even look through a scope that gives such sharp images and excellent contrast. I think I still have a bunch of test reports somewhere comparing many different refractors including all the big names. The Vixen walks proud among them and in some cases, all over them. You've bought yourself a lifetime telescope.

Jarno
  • RogerRZ, stevew and Bowlerhat like this

#30 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:46 AM

The Vixen walks proud among them and in some cases, all over them. You've bought yourself a lifetime telescope.

This!

My exact experience over the last 21 years with a Vixen FL102.

• stevew and Bowlerhat like this

#31 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:55 AM

Now I need something to mount it on. The legs on the little Polaris mount are a bit too short. I'd love to find a GM8, or something similar, locally.

I have a TV102 and my friend has a C102F and we both have them mounted on a TV HD5, that's a long scope and the HD5 is made to handle a 5". ADM makes a nice adapter for the vixen to TV.

5.jpg

https://www.cloudyni...-1593443638.jpg

Edited by Mike W, 29 July 2020 - 09:03 AM.

• RogerRZ likes this

#32 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

A GM8 with dual drives is grinding its way through the postal system as we speak. I used to have a Genesis SDF on a Gibraltar mount, but I don't really care for undriven alt-az mounts, for Lunar/planetary. For extra wide field, low power viewing, I use an old ST80 on my Polaris mount, In alt-az configuration. It could carry the 102F too, but I suspect this OTA will stay on the GM8...

Attached Thumbnails

• B82AE096-D93A-4AE2-9AA3-48CF2135B3BE.jpeg

Edited by RogerRZ, 29 July 2020 - 01:52 PM.

• SkyRanger and YAOG like this

#33 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

A GM8 with dual drives is grinding its way through the postal system as we speak. I used to have a Genesis SDF on a Gibraltar mount, but I don't really care for undriven alt-az mounts, for Lunar/planetary. For extra wide field, low power viewing, I use an old ST80 on my Polaris mount, In alt-az configuration. It could carry the 102F too, but I suspect this OTA will stay on the GM8...

The Vixen 102mm Fluorite scopes are the only other scope I would have bought but when a like new Takahashi FC-100DL became available locally for about the same money I jumped on it. The combination of the Vixen FL102 and Losmandy GM8G is a wonderful thing for visual use especially in an urban or suburban area.  

I was reminded of just how well a high quality 100mm refractor performs under a suburban light dome compared to a slightly larger 8" SCT while observing the comet a few weeks ago. The comet was nicely presented on a relatively dark background at the refractor eyepiece while the C8 SCT showed us a washed out light gray background with minimal detail. Detail very easily observed with the 100mm refractor. 

Anyway the Losmandy GM8G implementation of the Porter slip clutches will make you a happy camper when pushing that Vixen FL102 around the night sky. Something I do that works well if used with care is to use the Gemini to get to a target, loosen the clutches just a bit - they do not be torqued down like a diesel head bolt anyway - then star-hop in the area around the target until you are done. Then just push the scope back to the original GOTO target, carefully center and gently snug the clutches, pick your next GOTO target and go. If you do this a lot you may need to sync the Gemini once in a while but with a 900mm scope you will generally be close enough. I've added the Astro Devices 110K tic encoders and Nexus DSC w/WiFi and mostly operate in PUSH-TO mode letting the Gemini power the RA motor for tracking pretty much the way we used to observe but with the precision of modern digital setting circles. It is the best of both worlds, just be sure to have a well balanced payload and you can run the clutches surprisingly free to push the scope around. 

• peleuba, RogerRZ, John Huntley and 1 other like this

#34 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:56 AM

Got to the mail today, and after a bit of fiddling around with dovetail spacers, voila! It's a thing of beauty...73EF9163-C822-4093-9D7D-E38290188837.jpeg

• Scott99, beanerds, eros312 and 3 others like this

#35 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Administrators
  • Loc: Winder, Ga USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

Perfect 4" setup IMO..... I have never looked through a 4" scope I would rather have than my FL102s. My moonlight is black, other than that our setups are identical including mount although I did spring for stainless counterweights. I got lucky about 12 years ago for $1100. It has one small 1/2" scratch on the dewshield which was the reason for the discounted price.....I only use it at night so the scratch has never bothered me in the least, in fact I smile whenever I do notice it smile.gif

It is pretty rare for me to setup my 8" f/16 without the vixen hanging off the side of it as well as seen below.....

build86small.jpg

• RogerRZ, Scott99, eros312 and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics