•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Things I think I've spotted so far

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Crescent City, CA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:13 AM

I still don't have my binos or telescope but I couldn't resist getting out there with my phone app lastnight.  The skies were pretty clear and if I am using my Sky Map app right, I think I spotted M8.  Only with the naked eye which was just a tiny light.  Although it was the brightest of the others I could see.  I read about it on nasa site and it's called The Lagoon Nebula.  All these years of my life and never knowing, or trying to find out, "what is that star".  So much more than a star, that's for sure.

I guess you all can see I am chompin at the bit to get my equipment.  

Edited by Goldengirl52, 15 July 2020 - 11:53 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, havasman, Synapsno and 2 others like this

#2 zipzipskins

zipzipskins

Explorer 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

Your conditions must be pretty impeccable to be able to see M8 with the naked eye. I certainly can't manage it from my city!

Nate

• Don W and Goldengirl52 like this

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:57 AM

I can see lagoon naked eye from a yellow site. Just wait till you put a scope on it!
  • zipzipskins and Goldengirl52 like this

#4 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:57 AM

Your conditions must be pretty impeccable to be able to see M8 with the naked eye. I certainly can't manage it from my city!

Nate

I'm not totally sure Zip, I was looking SW and saw it.  I thought first it was part of the big dipper, but it wasn't clear enough to see all the stars for that.  I'm not even sure the big dipper is that direction at that time.  It was about 10 pm pst.  Maybe I'll see again tonight, and I should have my telescope all set up by then. 

Sorry I didn't see your name before Nate ;)  Mine's Denise and I think I'll start signing that way too!!

Edited by Goldengirl52, 15 July 2020 - 12:07 PM.

• sbpb28314 and zipzipskins like this

#5 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

I can see lagoon naked eye from a yellow site. Just wait till you put a scope on it!

I'm quite a few miles from you Scott, but like I was telling Zip, I'm not totally sure what I saw.  It just seemed to coincide with my Sky Map on my phone.  I will be trying again tonight, hopefully with my telescope that is due today (after being lost a short-time in transit grin.gif

Forgot to ask what a yellow light is?  Maybe a filter?

Edited by Goldengirl52, 15 July 2020 - 12:01 PM.

#6 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:10 PM

Yellow site, not light

• Goldengirl52 likes this

#7 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:12 PM

Hi Goldengirl,

What kind of Telescope are you getting ?

Mark

#8 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

Hi Mark,

It's Star Blast from Orion, lets see if I can say the name without looking it up wink.gif  Orion Star blast II 4.5 EQ.  Ok, better look it up before I post this. Also getting Barska Escape Porro 10x50s.

Edited by Goldengirl52, 15 July 2020 - 12:22 PM.

• clusterbuster and zipzipskins like this

#9 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:21 PM

Yellow site, not light

Helpful, thank you!

#10 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:23 PM

"Yellow" site is simply a way to grade how dark an area you are in.

Some use numbers and some use colors. So expect a mixture. Problem I find is that a large area is designated say "Yellow" but in it parts are better or worse. So like most things it is a generalisation.

Assume Yellow is good as in darl. But to be honest I have never bothered to learn or work out which I am or anything. It is either dark enough or not. And what it is dark enough for depends on the targets. I can see and separate double stars but maybe not see nebula, and at the same site.

#11 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:28 PM

Ok, yes, I don't have much light pollution here.  I would love to go to the beach soon, because I'm sure that would be a great place.  No boardwalk with lights even.  Mostly I'll be using the main deck up here on the 3rd floor.  There's one porch-light I may have to put out with my bb gunlol.gif

PS oops, shoulda said 6-shooter

Edited by Goldengirl52, 15 July 2020 - 12:28 PM.

#12 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

Goldengirl,

If you want to learn the constellations, get THIS book.

The Stars, by H.A. Rey. He wrote Curious George.

I had a really hard time trying to learn the Constellations, UNTIL ... I got this book.

Mark

I learned them in 1978 and they are really easy to see the way that H.A. Rey draws them, an EXCELLENT BOOK.., 

• MOwen, Echolight and Goldengirl52 like this

#13 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

Thanks so much Mark!  I'll take a look on Amazon, or maybe Ebay.  I'm shoveling in some breakfast because all my stuff arrived at once!!  I'll be back on here after I get things together, well, the telescope ;)

• clusterbuster likes this

#14 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:30 PM

I still don't have my binos or telescope but I couldn't resist getting out there with my phone app lastnight.  The skies were pretty clear and if I am using my Sky Map app right, I think I spotted M8.  Only with the naked eye which was just a tiny light.  Although it was the brightest of the others I could see.  I read about it on nasa site and it's called The Lagoon Nebula.  All these years of my life and never knowing, or trying to find out, "what is that star".  So much more than a star, that's for sure.

I guess you all can see I am chompin at the bit to get my equipment.  

You're post reminded me of the excitement and anticipation I had waiting for my first telescope.  When it showed up I was out every clear night looking at the Moon and Planets, and then one night I looked for and found M57 the Ring Nebula, it looked amazing, and to think that it was over 2,000 light years away and almost 1 light year in diameter just blew my mind, and I've been a deep sky explorer ever since.

My wish for you is to learn the sky, stay excited, learn to observe with your mind as well as your eyes, by knowing the size and distance of the objects you observe, and may the lifelong journey and exploration of the starry heavens begin. 

#15 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

You're post reminded me of the excitement and anticipation I had waiting for my first telescope.  When it showed up I was out every clear night looking at the Moon and Planets, and then one night I looked for and found M57 the Ring Nebula, it looked amazing, and to think that it was over 2,000 light years away and almost 1 light year in diameter just blew my mind, and I've been a deep sky explorer ever since.

My wish for you is to learn the sky, stay excited, learn to observe with your mind as well as your eyes, by knowing the size and distance of the objects you observe, and may the lifelong journey and exploration of the starry heavens begin. 

Thanks so much!  I think I ate my brunch too fast because I couldn't wait, lol!  So I have my boxes open on all my goodies.  Took pictures of how it's all packed (just in case).  I did try out my binoculars so far.  Want to make sure that I have something to view with tonight in case I don't get my telescope done.  I think I will but just want to make sure I have something ;)

Ok, getting started assembling the scope and will be back later, thank you again, Denise

#16 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:41 PM

Hey Denise. Your excitement about your new equipment rekindles the same emotions I have had with new builds or acquisitions in years past. Good luck tonight and have fun. By the way, M8 is south, just above the Teapot asterism in Sagittarius. The Big Dipper asterism is north, in Ursa Major. Just an fyi if it helps. I first saw M8 in the 1980s from my suburban backyard in NW IN. It is easy to see in my AZ backyard these days. It looks like a bright knot in the "steam" that is the Milky Way, rising out of the Teapot spout and glowing across the sky. It will look great in the Starblast, as well as the new binos. You can also see M20, the Trifid Nebulae, in the same low power field of view, with the binos or your scope. Your 25mm eyepiece will be your low power (18x), wide field of view choice for finding things, or looking at large extended objects. The 10mm will give you 45x magnification, which will show more detail. You can barlow either one for 2x the mag (36x or 90x), the latter being your choice for planets like Jupiter, Saturn and later on, Mars. For starters, I would use the eyepieces without the Barlow for a while, to get used to the telescope mount and movements. But I would still get a look at Jupiter and Saturn tonight if you can. They are best later when they get higher in the sky to the south.

Regards,

Don

#17 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

Oh geez Don,

I had to chill for awhile, I am so excited.  Your reply is wonderful, and I am marking it to help me along.

I have everything open and they didn't send me a manual, but I have ken's video from Orion on Youtube. Plus there is a picture on Amazon of all the parts.   So ready to watch and follow video.  But your info on the eyepieces is so helpful because it's typed out.  I know Ken hits on it but not as thoroughly!

My brother snowbirded last Summer in AZ near Yuma.  He isn't into Astronomy, YET!! LOL ;) I plan on sharing all my info with him.  He lives in Eugene OR.

Thank you again and I am hoping to find some folks around my area that I can coax into trying out some amateur astronomy! Denise

#18 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

I still don't have my binos or telescope but I couldn't resist getting out there with my phone app lastnight.  The skies were pretty clear and if I am using my Sky Map app right, I think I spotted M8.  Only with the naked eye which was just a tiny light.

That's certainly possible if your site is reasonably dark, though M8 would be mighty low in the sky as seen from the Pacific Northwest.

If you can see M8 naked-eye, the Milky Way should also be obvious. M8 looks like a little disjoint piece of Milky Way about a fist width to the right of the main Milky Way. Just below a much bigger disjoint patch called M24. It would not look at all like a star -- much too diffuse.

I use M8 and M24 as my prime navigational aids in that part of the sky. They're readily visible from good suburban skies around latitude 40N, but not from the middle of most cities.

#19 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

Hi Tony,

I was depending on the Sky Map on my phone and my compass is working pretty excellent I think.  My eyes are not 20/20 anymore but it looked like the biggest star and it was lowest.  There were kind of 3 stars in an L shape, and the biggest was at the bottom of the L, and it was a crooked L, lol ;)

I will get a better view if it's clear tonight.  It was South of me, maybe just a wee bit West, but I'll do better when I see it again.  Give you all a better report ;)  Thanks for your info, I'm so excited just talking about it I keep getting chill kind of rushes!!snoopy2.gif

#20 MOwen

MOwen

Vostok 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 15 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Goldengirl,

If you want to learn the constellations, get THIS book.

The Stars, by H.A. Rey. He wrote Curious George.

I had a really hard time trying to learn the Constellations, UNTIL ... I got this book.

Mark

I learned them in 1978 and they are really easy to see the way that H.A. Rey draws them, an EXCELLENT BOOK.., 

Could not agree more !!!!  I'm on my second copy.  It is back in print and updated.  Besides the constellations, it also has a wealth of basic info ('Hows and Whys') about the night sky.

• clusterbuster and Goldengirl52 like this

#21 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:02 PM

Could not agree more !!!!  I'm on my second copy.  It is back in print and updated.  Besides the constellations, it also has a wealth of basic info ('Hows and Whys') about the night sky.

is this the latest version MO?

https://www.amazon.c...&s=books&sr=1-2

#22 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:19 PM

Think twice about heading to the beach. Sand and salt spray are not good for telescopes. Could be ok if you stay up on the grass.

Scott
  • Second Time Around and Goldengirl52 like this

#23 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

Yes, I'd be up above where we park our cars.  I'm glad to get that info though because I hadn't thought about it, thank you much Scott! Denise

#24 MOwen

MOwen

Vostok 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:24 PM

is this the latest version MO?

https://www.amazon.c...&s=books&sr=1-2

That's it.

#25 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

That's it.

Great, and in my budget!  I'm ordering it now, thank you guys again

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics