•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First DSO imaging session

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DanBorja

DanBorja

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

Hi all,

So I've been doing planetary imaging for a year and this year I decided to start doing deep sky imaging. I went for the easy route and got a WO Redcat 51, Star Adventurer and a stock Nikon d5600. I live in a Bortle 9 zone and the weather has been awful lately so after a whole month of cloudy nights I was finally able to go out and give it my first shot. I drove 40 minutes to a Bortle 4/5 sky and the wind was pretty strong, I had to discard half of my subs because of this. But I'm still pretty happy with my results. Any critique and advice is much appreciated.

M101 acquisition details:

138 x 60" subs @ ISO 400 (2 hrs 28 min total integration time)

20 darks

35 flats

150 bias

M8 & M20 (didn't planned it but couldn't resist when I saw it with the naked eye):

14 x 90" subs @ ISO 400 (21 min total integration time)

20 darks

35 flats

150 bias

[ ]

[ ]

• Madratter, Dynan, DubbelDerp and 1 other like this

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

The galaxy shot is a little too much stars and not enough galaxy (a function of your short focal length and big imaging chip!), but the M8/M20 shot is really nice. :)

• DanBorja likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics