•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Tools

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

Been playing around with the demo version of Star Tools; hence this image is a screen capture only so sharpness is cut off.

By just stealthing around and watching a few youtubes; there doesn't seem to be any step by step info?

Is anyone aware of a resource for a step by step approach.

Also; it seems when I stretch my image in Adobe first and then import into Star Tools, Star Toold does a better job processing.

When using Star Tools "Auto-Develop" (which seems to overcook the image) or "Manual Develop" where local control doesn't seem all that good.

Untitled-1.jpg

#2 DuPont

DuPont

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fond du Lac, Wi.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:34 PM

Have you tried googling (I use Bing) Star Tools tutorials? I found at least 30 videos & one in particular by Ivo Jager that's 2hrs 23min. long.

Edited by DuPont, 15 July 2020 - 12:36 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#3 SarverSkyGuy

SarverSkyGuy

Explorer 1

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:49 PM

Have you tried googling (I use Bing) Star Tools tutorials? I found at least 30 videos & one in particular by Ivo Jager that's 2hrs 23min. long.

And there is a printable one page suggested step-by-step procedure.

#4 Readerp

Readerp

Mariner 2

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

There are controls in Autodev and Develop to modify the stretch.

Generally you should import raw unprocessed fits files into ST.

There are tutorials and recommendations on the ST website to get you going.

• George Simon likes this

#5 Seven007

Seven007

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

Hi,

There is a manual in several languages on the homepage.

A workflow can be find here:

https://download.sta...ST Workflow.pdf

You should use Auto Dev first time to inspect your Data for stacking artefacts and so on.

After wipe you normaly do a restretch, you can define a region of interest RoI for improving your autodev.

Additionally Parameters in autodev can deal with noise (ignore fine details).

Best Regards
Sven
  • John_Gillies likes this

#6 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 01:47 PM

Thanks.
The pdf is exactly what I was looking for.

#7 BrendanC

BrendanC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:14 PM

I found Auto Dev VERY confusing until I realised it's actually supposed to make your images look terrible!

It's meant to show the problems with your image. I think it's incorrectly named: it should be something like 'Inspect' or 'Reveal' or something.

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#8 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

So far I find it interesting.

W/o any real experience, I can say one drawback I see is how slow it works when processing, especially with NR.

My computer is pretty much state of the art, multi core etc with plenty of DDRAM, high clock speed and a very nice graphics board..but I suppose that's the nature of the beast.

I'll keep playing with it, hopefully I can develop a workflow that doesn't consume all my time.

Question: Do you all recommend stretching with Star Tools or prefer to use Adobe? Any advantage or disadvantages?

I had better results when I stretched with Adobe/Curves; but that may just be me not understanding how to use ST's.

Edited by Blackbelt76, 15 July 2020 - 05:17 PM.

#9 neaptide

neaptide

Apollo

• Loc: NY

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:40 PM

Here's a link to a tutorial Ivo gave on some data I provided. This really helped alot.

https://www.cloudyni...-cc/?p=10075718

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#10 Ivo Jager

Ivo Jager

Vendor ( Star Tools )

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:02 PM

Check out the Links & Tutorials section on the website. It has many... well... links and tutorials. smile.gif

Stretching within StarTools if you want to use StarTools for any processing is not optional. Importing linear data is not (really) optional either; rather, it is a must. If you're unsure what sort of data you need and/or what to look out for, again, please consult the links and tutorials section (particularly the starting with a good dataset section).

If AutoDev confuses you, have a quick look/read here. It visually shows you what's going on (including what an RoI does) and what the benefits are of using AutoDev over "old school 90's" levels & curves.

StarTools is an unapologetic resources hog. It couldn't do what it does (e.g. signal evolution Tracking) without consuming a lot of CPU (multi-threaded) and RAM resources (1.7 alpha is now off-loading suitable arithmetic to the GPU as well; it's a delicate balance between CPU, GPU, bus speeds, transfer speeds and RAM access times). Given a big enough dataset, it will happily bring a Thread Ripper to its knees. And it's not for lack of optimization. smile.gif

Edited by Ivo Jager, 15 July 2020 - 09:03 PM.

• Juno18 and Blackbelt76 like this

#11 Readerp

Readerp

Mariner 2

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:25 AM

I just put in a 10th gen i7 (8 core CPU) and it has happily reduced my processing time quite a bit over my older i5.

But good things are worth waiting for... lol

#12 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:57 AM

I have only good experiences with StarTools and Ivo is very accessible for support. There is also a user's forum.

Michael,,

• Blackbelt76 likes this

#13 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:34 AM

Been getting better results after reading the proper prep in DSS before importing to ST's. Typical "Garbage in Garbage out"

Looking forward to the next clear night to try out my new Astro-Tech 72 ED II. Been using a Nikon 80-200 zoom, certainly not the best way to go.

Appreciate all the info here.

#14 nyairman

nyairman

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: new york

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

Like any other software, you get better at it as time goes by. ST's is no exception. When I first started using the software, it was a bit of a learning curve. My computer was also lacking in the RAM dept. An upgrade to 16 GB RAM sped things up a lot. When your system is slow, trying new things can be discouraging. Some modules took forever to complete a command. After the computer upgrade, I was able to complete those commands in those modules much faster and therefore enabled me to try new processes and play with each setting. This really helped speed the learning process up.

After 2 years, I am comfortable in every image that I load into ST's. I always load RAW files into DSS to stack, and then convert them into .tif to load into ST's. The .fts file format seems to bog ST's down on my machine. Then I begin with an AutoDev, Then Wipe, then Manual Dev. These first three processes usually give me a really good image to begin to work with.

My problem is having a clear enough sky to obtain an image. Now at 31 days of sub standard skies frown.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics