•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alt-Az programmable mount for landscape astro panoramas

astrophotography dslr
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 rk2k2

rk2k2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:43 PM

rh2k that cannot be motorised...

Did I say to motorize it?  If I gave you that impression I apologize.  It's a simple illustration you can simply have a bracket that mounts the camera/ lens from ABOVE rather from the bottom.  Again, the Manfrotto is for illustration- the bracket would be rigid and doesn't move, it is attached where the cameras/ lens would normally be attached..  The ONLY constraint MAY be space and the ability of the GigaPan AL motor(s if there are one on each side) to hold it (due to the change in moment).  Simple test for less than $100 (or do it yourself for less than $20) to have a shop bend to U Brackets where one fits inside the other like the Manfrotto 393.  Might even be able to buy the right size brackets off the shelf for $10).

I don't have a GigaPan to verify my visualization, so only Nathan (or someone that has one) can verify.  I'm merely going by what I see and it looks to me the AL axis is 1 or 2 motors where an inner cradle (the two arms on each side of the controller) , and an inner cradle are 'joined'.

EDIT:

So I just checked (I should have remembered), you really don't gain much with cradle  above vs the cradle in the down.  I gained perhaps 5 degrees (alt) as the obstruction point in the down config is the dovetail where as with cradle up, the obstruction is the camera itself (the built in flash).  The only real solution is as Nathan alluded to, the point of rotation of the AL would have to be higher.  (the left and right brackets of the GigaPan taller).

Edited by rk2k2, 22 July 2020 - 03:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics