•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cem70 mount

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jack160219

Jack160219

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

Hi, I just got my new cem70 mount, it had only a small slip of paper enclosed, which instructed to read the enclosed quick start guide prior to removing it from the case for the first time. There was no quick start guide enclosed.

ioptron website doesn’t have any mention of the cem70 in their support section. Pretty shabby. Until I hear from email support,anyone  know what precautions to take prior to removal? Thanks jk

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

Use Google search for "CEM70 Quick Start Guide"

#3 Markh5

Markh5

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:49 PM

You may need to do a refresh, Cem70 is listed under Home > Products > Center Balanced Equatorial Mounts > CEM70. You should find everything you need there.  

Quick Start,  https://www.ioptron....A_CEM70_QSG.pdf

Instruction manual,  https://www.ioptron....Instruction.pdf

#4 barrabclaw

barrabclaw

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern Wisconsin

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:52 PM

It's annoying that they don't include the guide when they say it's included, but yeah it's all online like the post above me says. It sounds like you're patient enough to read through it before messing around, which is good, because it's easier to damage this mount than some other if you aren't aware of some precautions. If you follow the precautions, I don't think you have much to worry about though.

#5 Hill Ctry Stargazer

Hill Ctry Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hill Country - Texas

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:25 PM

Mine arrived with out the Quick Start Guide too. I downloaded it.

Another annoying thing is that the firmware needed to be updated! Are you kidding? Not a big deal but this is a new mount that has just been released. I would assume the firmware would have been up-to-date.The serial number on he mount is IC0014 which i would assume is the 14th mount manufactured.

All of that being said, I am really impressed so far with this mount. It works flawlessly and tracks exceptionally well....

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:41 PM

Another annoying thing is that the firmware needed to be updated! Are you kidding? Not a big deal but this is a new mount that has just been released. I would assume the firmware would have been up-to-date.The serial number on he mount is IC0014 which i would assume is the 14th mount manufactured.

This should not surprise you at all.

The time when a product is going to see the most firmware updates is when it's new to the market.  With such a low serial number, it's possible that your mount's hardware was completed and boxed even before the firmware was finished.  As the model sees more time on the market, and the manufacturer learns more about how it works in the field, the frequency of updates will slow down.

#7 Jack160219

Jack160219

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

Well I went under home/products.center balanced mounts/cem70 and don’t see any place to update firmware or manuals. I go under support and do not see the cem listed. Anyone have better luck? Jk

#8 Jack160219

Jack160219

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

Ok, I’m getting closer. I finally got to a page with a bin file for firmware upgrade for the cem70. I says to read the release notes first

but none are listed. Is this supposed to be part of the bin file? Thanks, jk

#9 barrabclaw

barrabclaw

Explorer 1

• Loc: Southern Wisconsin

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:38 PM

Well I went under home/products.center balanced mounts/cem70 and don’t see any place to update firmware or manuals. I go under support and do not see the cem listed. Anyone have better luck? Jk

Ok, I’m getting closer. I finally got to a page with a bin file for firmware upgrade for the cem70. I says to read the release notes first

but none are listed.

It's under support documents, one of the three tabs on the CEM70 page. "Download the latest firmware."

iOptron2.JPG

iOptron3.JPG

It looks like the firmware version history page is down. I'm pretty sure I was able to access it when I downloaded the newest firmware. They might be having some kind of issue with the website. Either wait and see if it comes back online or contact support. They should be able to just email you a copy.

• eros312 likes this

#10 X-Lurker

X-Lurker

Underpaid Slacker

• -----
  • Loc: N.W. Ark.

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:08 PM

It appears to be back-ordered everywhere... How long was the wait time?

#11 Hill Ctry Stargazer

Hill Ctry Stargazer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hill Country - Texas

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:21 PM

I ordered mine at the end of June ( the 22nd) and received I on July 7. I ordered it directly from iOptron.

Clear Skies

Joe

#12 Jack160219

Jack160219

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:53 AM

To clarify, the support documents are not under “support” on the main page. They are under products/centerbalance mount/cem70.

they may put it there later,.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics