•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX65

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Giorgos

Giorgos

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Greece

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:21 AM

Hi everybody!

I found the Meade LX65 mount appealing for a quick grab and go setup. I have a couple of questions though:

Is it strong enough to hold my old orange classic C8 ota?

Can the mount be used as an equatorial on a wedge? Is it possible to mount two telescopes one for guiding and the other 

making long exposures? I read somewhere that the cables in the auxiliary ports are crossed in the older mounts. How I

can check? I prefer not crossed though.

Thanx in advance for your kind replies!

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

Hi everybody!

I found the Meade LX65 mount appealing for a quick grab and go setup. I have a couple of questions though:

Is it strong enough to hold my old orange classic C8 ota?

Can the mount be used as an equatorial on a wedge? Is it possible to mount two telescopes one for guiding and the other 

making long exposures? I read somewhere that the cables in the auxiliary ports are crossed in the older mounts. How I

can check? I prefer not crossed though.

Thanx in advance for your kind replies!

1.  The 8" offered on the LX65 is a lightweight model coming in at 11lbs... check your C8 weight w/vixen bar, if it's within that range then OK. Remember you'll be adding other accessories to it but as long as it's not much then should be OK. 

2.  Yes, you can buy the LX90 to LX200 pattern adapter plate which will allow the LX65 to be used on the Meade wedge.  
     The LX65 uses the same Audiostar controller and you can choose the telescope type in the menu and change it to LX90.... how good it will operate in this mode is something I havent' tested yet as I haven't mounted mine to a wedge yet. 

3. Guiding - possible to use the secondary mounting for guiding though you'll need to align the two OTA's just as you would with any guider-main scope combo. 

4.  As I recall the tell-tale indicator is supposed to be a white dot applied to the battery box... however the best method is to confirm with a circuit test to make sure the two poles are not inverted.  If they are you can make a dongle to adapt back to the correct polarity.  

Check the earlier topics in this forum for the LX65 LX85 wiring specifics.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics