•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter near opposition, 15 July 2020

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:27 AM

One day after opposition for Jupiter, on a night of very good seeing which improved as the night progressed. I took a number of images of Jupiter, probably the best of which is shown below at captured size.

I turned the others into an animation, which appears to show a change in the colour of the NEB as the planet spins, with the clouds becoming progressively darker and turning almost brown. Not too sure what to make of this, as the processing was identical between frames, the only real change was that Jupiter rose from around 51 degrees in elevation for the first image up to 72 degrees for the last. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on this observation.

Andrew

Capture details: Celestron Evolution C9.25 with TV 2.5x PowerMate and ASI224MC, 150 fps for 3 minutes, stacked in AS!3 with 3x drizzle, sharpened in R6 and final touches in Photoshop Elements.

Attached Thumbnails

• Frame 7sm rep.png

• Sunspot, John Miele, Kenny V. and 13 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

... and the animation.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 20200715_pipp_1fps.gif

• John Miele, Kenny V., h2ologg and 8 others like this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Cosmos

• Loc: behind you.

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:30 AM

superb shot and animation , the sky was very beautiful this evening.

thanks .

• Tulloch likes this

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

... and the animation.

Fantastic images as always (although I was excited to see that you posted an image during less that ideal seeing the other day which gives me some hope.  With regard to your question about the color changes, could it be something associated with the ADC orientation or alignment as the night progressed?

• Tulloch likes this

#5 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:07 AM

applause.gif

Edited by scottinash, 16 July 2020 - 08:07 AM.

• Tulloch likes this

#6 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:39 AM

Superb, Andrew!  These are the kind of Jupiter of images I dream about getting with my own C9.25 someday.

• Tulloch likes this

#7 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

Fantastic images as always (although I was excited to see that you posted an image during less that ideal seeing the other day which gives me some hope.  With regard to your question about the color changes, could it be something associated with the ADC orientation or alignment as the night progressed?

Thanks for that, yes, we get poor seeing down here also :) I didn't use an ADC for these, no need (as the planets are so high).

#8 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for that, yes, we get poor seeing down here also smile.gif I didn't use an ADC for these, no need (as the planets are so high).

The weather forecast for here this evening was great but now as sundown approaches there are some low clouds forming.  I'm hoping to shoot the Europa transit that begins for me at around 10:30 pm local time.  My fingers are crossed.  unfortunately at this time Jupiter will only be about halfway to the meridian so I'm counting on the ADC to get me through.  Hopefully I can get FC ver2.7 to work for me.

#9 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:33 PM

Beautiful images Andrew.
I wonder if it might perhaps have anything do with the way sunlight is scattered in those clouds on Jupiter with the changing solar illumination angle as the planet rotates. Or it maybe something to do with that substantial elevation (and I would suppose transparency) change?

#10 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:24 AM

Ripper details, mate!

And a full GRS transit?! Now that's dedication! laugh.gif (Not to mention, great trust in your seeing.)

BQ

P.S. I always observe a color change in Jupiter as it plows from the horizon toward zenith. It follows a similar color tone transition pattern as the sun and moon—very yellow on the horizon, trending toward more white and blue toward the zenith. More Rayleigh scattering of blue through a thicker atmosphere would be my conjecture…

• Tulloch likes this

#11 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:04 AM

Thanks all for the likes and comments, much appreciated flowerred.gif .

#12 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:07 AM

Ripper details, mate!

And a full GRS transit?! Now that's dedication! laugh.gif (Not to mention, great trust in your seeing.)

BQ

P.S. I always observe a color change in Jupiter as it plows from the horizon toward zenith. It follows a similar color tone transition pattern as the sun and moon—very yellow on the horizon, trending toward more white and blue toward the zenith. More Rayleigh scattering of blue through a thicker atmosphere would be my conjecture…

Thanks BQ, I already had the equipment out, so it wasn't that big a deal to stay outside smile.gif.

I looked at the effect of elevation on colour cast previously, but the difference between 50 and 70 degrees is not that great, sure there will be a bit more blue, but I wouldn't have through it would be that much. Maybe there was some high level cloud in the earlier images I didn't notice...

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 17 July 2020 - 04:08 AM.

#13 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:31 AM

Thanks BQ, I already had the equipment out, so it wasn't that big a deal to stay outside smile.gif.

I looked at the effect of elevation on colour cast previously, but the difference between 50 and 70 degrees is not that great, sure there will be a bit more blue, but I wouldn't have through it would be that much. Maybe there was some high level cloud in the earlier images I didn't notice...

Andrew

I'd put my money on clouds. I've also been getting unexpected high-level clouds lately in spite of the clear sky predictions for the Red Centre (plus clear skies on cloudy sky predictions). And I didn't go out at all last night because the Belt of Aphrodite was a bunch of pink rays across the sky (again, on a clear-sky prediction).

Other than that, there's swamp gas and coronal mass ejections. But I wouldn't put any money on those…

BQ

#14 DMach

DMach

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:54 AM

Awesome image Andrew!

The change in colour could be partly due to changes in elevation, but I have been noticing genuine colour variations in the NEB this season for different aspects.

• Tulloch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics