•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece too heavy for my focuser?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kklei940

kklei940

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

Last night I wanted to check out my new Celestron Ultima LX 22mm in my 6" Omni XLT-150 newt. I popped it in the 2" crayford focuser and it wouldn't come to focus. No problem there, I went inside and grabbed a 2" extension tube. I was now able to reach focus but when I took my fingers off the focuser dial the drawtube slowly crept back down and I would lose focus. I tried adjusting the tension on the focuser with the set screw to see if that would help, but that didn't really work. I then just thought I would completely lock it down with the set screw when I got to focus, but as soon as I tried that and let go it would fall out of focus slightly.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of adjustment that can be made to the stock crayford focuser to help it handle the weight of the eyepiece and extension tube or if it's time to invest in a new focuser to handle these heavier eyepieces? I plan on purchasing a coma corrector eventually and know this will add more weight as well. Any insight would be much appreciated. I've attached a picture of what my focuser looks like below. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• Omni Crayford.PNG

#2 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

There is a tension allen screw that pushes up against the focuser axle  shaft underneath .   Your focuser  is a crayford (?)  on the 150 Omni ? ,  It is a metric allen

Edited by gene 4181, 16 July 2020 - 09:37 AM.

#3 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

I've had a similar problem to this but with 2" diagonals and heavy eyepieces. Eventually the only solution is to replace the focuser.

#4 kklei940

kklei940

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

There is a tension allen screw that pushes up against the focuser axle  shaft underneath .   Your focuser  is a crayford (?)  on the 150 Omni ? ,  It is a metric allen

I just checked it out and it looks like you're right, there is an allen screw underneath there. I'll play with this a bit and see if it does the trick. If not then I guess I'll have to consider a focuser upgrade. Thanks for the help!

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

It's just an adjustment.  The focuser in question can be adjusted to handle 4 lbs easily.

• Jon Isaacs, Bean614 and 25585 like this

#6 kklei940

kklei940

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

I tried the adjustment and it worked great. What a simple fix that was. Thanks again everyone!

• Jon Isaacs, Eddgie, Steve Cox and 1 other like this

#7 Junoscope

Junoscope

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Portsmouth, NH 03801

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:11 PM

For focusers that don’t have a tension screw, you may be able to remove one of the focuser knobs and stick a circle of the loop portion of a Velcro strip on the side of the knob that goes toward body of the focuser.  You’ll need to punch a hole in the center of the Velcro for the focuser shaft.  Snug the knob against the focuser and tighten it.  

I found that this method works well with an older Feather Touch focuser which doesn’t have a tensioning screw. The focuser now supports a Paracorr 2 and 100 degree eyepieces without slippage. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics