•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 90D Corrosion Issue & Warranty

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

Hello all,

Reaching out to see if this has happened to any of you and your thoughts. Purchased a new 90D a couple of months ago and have used it for 3 imaging sessions. After the 3rd session it started behaving erratically and I decided to reach out to Canon for advice. They were very polite and stated that wasn’t normal and it needs to be sent in for a warranty repair. A week later I receive a statement for $543 so I called them back. The gentleman explained that they had found corrosion inside and it is not warrantable. I am assuming this is from dew forming on the camera body and making its way inside. Is this a problem that any of you have experienced and what are your thoughts as to how I should handle this moving forward?

Many thanks,

#2 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

Tell them to keep it.

• shark-bait likes this

#3 scottinash

scottinash

Vostok 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

That's sad to hear.   I thought the 90D was marketed as having weather seals.    I know that weather seal and weather proofing is not the same, but still.    I recall seeing some complaints on photography sites in the past about Canon's stipulations in warranties concerning water damage as I was preparing for a trip to Iceland a couple years ago.  I have 5DII and 6DII and lens with weather seals and still used a fitted plastic cover in certain conditions.

Edited by scottinash, 16 July 2020 - 09:57 AM.

#4 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

I very well may tell them to keep it but hate to throw away $1200. I have a cordial, open dialog with Canon now. Hopeful that we will find a resolution and they will acquiesce my request for replacement. Either way, disappointing.

#5 alstarjoey

alstarjoey

Mariner 2

• Loc: Peoria, IL

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:16 AM

Would they accept it as a trade in for a new camera?

Jim

Two dogs and Too many telescopes

• Hypoxic likes this

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:41 AM

To answer your question, this is NOT a common or familiar problem with astrophotographers.  I think there's a good chance the camera was contaminated with something somehow when it left the factory.

• scottinash likes this

#7 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:47 AM

Would they accept it as a trade in for a new camera?

Jim
Two dogs and Too many telescopes

That’s a great question. I plan on asking them that very question. Probably going to consider the Astro new mirror less if I do. Not sure if that is a good move for me or not. But I am less than enamored with this 90D.
  • Michael Covington likes this

#8 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:02 PM

To answer your question, this is NOT a common or familiar problem with astrophotographers. I think there's a good chance the camera was contaminated with something somehow when it left the factory.

I would assume it is from dew falling on it. Canon sent me several pictures of a small section of the board that has had water intrusion. I told them that I am not disputing that it is corroded but would like to know how and why it has corroded in such a short time. I have never had this issue before. Very frustrating. Waiting to hear back from them.

#9 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:12 PM

Here are the pictures they sent me.

Attached Thumbnails

• CF717008-FD22-4937-8C9E-ABA32B23265B.jpeg
  • 04DD90FA-5834-449F-B877-E880BCEB1074.jpeg

#10 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:27 PM

Just how much dew was on it?  It looks like it's been dropped in the ocean!

Dew normally consists of pure water (freshly distilled -- think about it) and isn't corrosive.

There was something corrosive on this camera before you got it.  Either that, or they may think you dropped it in the ocean and aren't telling them about it.  Damage like this is common with cameras that have been at the beach or on a boat in the ocean, getting sprayed with salt water.

• JuergenB likes this

#11 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:17 AM

Do you live really close to the ocean?  i see you live in a city in FL that is near the ocean but how close are you to it?  reason i ask is that looks like salt corrosion which could only come from salt water intruding on the inside of the case.  It IS possible to come from the dew if you live really close by the ocean.  Salt water mist or spray is insidious and can get into a lot of things since it is very corrosive.  your best bet would be to seal up your camera somehow from the outside air and add a desiccant container or package into whatever you seal it with to keep the equipment dry.  Other than that if you live too close to the ocean there may not be a lot you can do to stop this from happening again to a DSLR.

#12 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:14 PM

These are good points. I live about 7-8 miles from the coast but recently took it to the Keys (my son lives there). Nonetheless, never received any salt spray and it never went on a boat. I have traveled all over Florida with every camera I have ever had and this has never been an issue. It started acting oddly when I finished an imaging session and broke everything down. The dew was bad but nothing that I haven’t dealt with before. Very frustrating.

On another note, I spoke with Canon today and made my way up the ranks to a supervisor that eventually shared responsibility. They agreed to split the repair cost and I deemed that as fair.

May look into an alternative camera and drift away from a DSLR at this point.

#13 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

Just how much dew was on it? It looks like it's been dropped in the ocean!

Dew normally consists of pure water (freshly distilled -- think about it) and isn't corrosive.

There was something corrosive on this camera before you got it. Either that, or they may think you dropped it in the ocean and aren't telling them about it. Damage like this is common with cameras that have been at the beach or on a boat in the ocean, getting sprayed with salt water.

The water appears to have come through the battery compartment. Perhaps that triggered a reaction?

#14 chanrobi

chanrobi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:26 PM

Could the camera just go back to your place of purchase for refund?

#15 asanmax

asanmax

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 17 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

How on earth would water/dew come into the camera through the battery compartment? Did you hold the camera upside down?

I've had tons of Canon cameras and never seen anything like this. In fact I've never seen any corrosion inside of any camera. I don't really think that what's pictured caused by your normal use.

It's sad that you can't really prove anything to them but splitting the bill seems to be a good resolution.

#16 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

Could the camera just go back to your place of purchase for refund?

Thought about this but just didn’t seem like the right thing to do.

#17 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

How on earth would water/dew come into the camera through the battery compartment? Did you hold the camera upside down?

I've had tons of Canon cameras and never seen anything like this. In fact I've never seen any corrosion inside of any camera. I don't really think that what's pictured caused by your normal use.

It's sad that you can't really prove anything to them but splitting the bill seems to be a good resolution.

The camera was actually upside down while being used. Hopefully this is the last of the corrosion issue. 

Attached Thumbnails

• A861BA5D-2C4D-4F0D-8623-B737EF2A2DC1.jpeg

Edited by shark-bait, 17 July 2020 - 08:09 PM.

#18 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:45 PM

The camera was actually upside down while being used. Hopefully this is the last of the corrosion issue. 

Suggestion: dont mount the camera that way.  Any dew that collects in the tube can run down and into the camera.  That's probably the source of your issue.  Mount it facing up or to the side, never under. Granted from a balance perspective it may make sense but remember unless this is a schmidt-newtonian the front of the tube is open to the elements. Dew can and will form in the tube and can collect and run down its length.  Normally this would not be an issue since it will usually just run out the end of the tube but in this case with the camera right below the tube and open it can run down the tube and collect in the camera. Same is true for wind blown moisture since the tube should be open effectively on both ends.

Edited by bignerdguy, 17 July 2020 - 08:45 PM.

#19 asanmax

asanmax

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 17 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

Suggestion: dont mount the camera that way.  Any dew that collects in the tube can run down and into the camera.  That's probably the source of your issue.  Mount it facing up or to the side, never under. Granted from a balance perspective it may make sense but remember unless this is a schmidt-newtonian the front of the tube is open to the elements. Dew can and will form in the tube and can collect and run down its length.  Normally this would not be an issue since it will usually just run out the end of the tube but in this case with the camera right below the tube and open it can run down the tube and collect in the camera. Same is true for wind blown moisture since the tube should be open effectively on both ends.

Exactly my thoughts. My telescope gets wet and water is dripping off of it especially on a humid night.

I'd mount the camera on top of the scope.

• bignerdguy likes this

#20 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:58 AM

Suggestion: dont mount the camera that way. Any dew that collects in the tube can run down and into the camera. That's probably the source of your issue. Mount it facing up or to the side, never under. Granted from a balance perspective it may make sense but remember unless this is a schmidt-newtonian the front of the tube is open to the elements. Dew can and will form in the tube and can collect and run down its length. Normally this would not be an issue since it will usually just run out the end of the tube but in this case with the camera right below the tube and open it can run down the tube and collect in the camera. Same is true for wind blown moisture since the tube should be open effectively on both ends.

It is in fact a Schmidt Newt and I have to rotate it for balancing purposes when guiding. It is only directly under the OTA when parked north like it is shown here. When the scope skews to an object, it is typically off to one side. I am going to consider alternative ways to balance and/or mount it. Covering it really isn’t an option because of heat.

Thoughts?

Edited by shark-bait, 18 July 2020 - 06:02 AM.

#21 chanrobi

chanrobi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:07 PM

Well I guess we figured out how the OP got water into the camera...

#22 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2020 - 03:02 PM

Well I guess we figured out how the OP got water into the camera...

Did we?

Still not sure how moisture ended up in the camera despite the orientation.  I have used this configuration for the last decade with 2 other Canons (10D & 60D) and have never had this happen.  The Canon representative stated that dew should not infiltrate the seals of the camera but I suspect they think that I did something else with it.  Nonetheless, it is "water" under the bridge now. (Lame pun intended)

#23 JuergenB

JuergenB

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lilienthal, Germany

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

Ask them to provide a chemical analyse of the salt-like residue on the circuit board. I believe that this was caused by a production fault. Moisture by itself is not corrosive. 

Juergen

Edited by JuergenB, 20 July 2020 - 12:46 PM.

#24 shark-bait

shark-bait

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

Ask them to provide a chemical analyse of the salt-like residue on the circuit board. I believe that this was caused by a production fault. Moisture by itself is not corrosive. 

Juergen

Maybe something was on the exterior of the body as well and the moisture carried it inside?  Either way, what's done is done.  Looking forward to getting it back for some more imaging.

Edited by shark-bait, 20 July 2020 - 05:41 PM.

#25 chanrobi

chanrobi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

Juergen

They are not going to do that... lol

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics