•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do I get this working again?

accessories astrophotography equipment tripod
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 revans

revans

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fitchburg, MA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

I bought the equatorial head/battery clock drive unit around 2005.  I don't remember which company makes it.  Anyway, it was never used,  but originally I bought it to mount a digital SLR camera on to take some fairly short exposure photos of constellations.  I don't know how to get it going any more.  I put a battery in it and the clock drive runs fine.  It appears to be able so mount onto a standard tripod (3rd photo shows the screw-in for that).  But how to get the camera on it.  The plate on this unit is 1.5 inches wide.  It has a groove on one side that looks like it wants to hold on a mounting plate that would presumably slide on top.  That plate would presumable have a few holes in it for mounting a standard digital SLR camera.  I have a 200 mm lens that used to work well for astrophotography on my old Canon Rebel camera.    Does anyone know if I am right about all this and if some sort of mounting plate for the camera is available to attach it to this contraption of sorts.  I think that if I could get it working, I'd probably get some nice photos with sub exposures of a minute or so, with stacking and processing.  I don't start threads very often and hope the photos get attached OK...  might have to send the second and third photos separately to meet the 500KB requirement.  Thanks for your time...cameradrive1.jpg

#2 revans

revans

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fitchburg, MA

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:50 AM

Here is the photo of the unit showing where it would attach to a standard camera tripod....

cameradrive 3

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

If you can't locate the manufacturer, I suggest it's time for some DIY home brew creativity. It shouldn't be too difficult if you're handy with tools and have an inventive mind.

Richard

• kfiscus likes this

#4 Andrekp

Andrekp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

Maybe you’ve figured this far already, but it appears to be a lightweight GEM mount that you can put on a tripod.  The thicker round parts are the counterweights, you attach the middle to a tripod, then the short rectangular plate on the other end attaches to whatever you want to attach to the mount.  Seems like you figured this.  This all seems pretty obvious.

what you need to do, if you want any “how do I mount something” advice is get good pictures of that rectangular mount head opposite the counterweights.  Maybe with good pictures it’ll become apparent how you could mount something.

barring that, the obvious answer is to DIY something, as someone mentioned.  You might at least need to drill a couple accurate holes to attach a mount head.  We need to see that end in detail.

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

post-12141-0-95902100-1594910331.jpg

Look for a hole on the top of this part. It might be threaded but if not you would pass a 1/4 - 20 bolt from the bottom.

If it has no holes, then either there is a missing mounting plate or whatever was mounted to it was designed to mate with it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, equipment, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics