•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Selsi 60x800

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

Here's a few shots I took of the new-to-me Selsi I picked up yesterday.  I didn't realize how small and cute it would be compared to my Shy Chief 60x910.

IMG 0056
Album: Selsi
7 images
0 comments

The box has obviously sat in some water, but somehow there's not a spot of rust on the scope or any of the components.  It looks complete, including all the eyepieces, diagonal (small chip on the glass inside), prism erector, finder, and even the dangerous little "sun filter".  The only thing missing is the tripod chain and possible a thumbscrew.

The label has sparse information, so I'd love some help with model/vintage/manufacturer identification.

• oldmanastro, GreyDay and walter a like this

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:54 AM

It's what I think of as a early variation on the 60/800mm Towa AT-2. The mount, the tripod legs, the cells, and finders vary, but they all have that same focuser. 'I'd estimate it as mid to late '50s.

I have the cell/objective and a focuser from a Selsi. The lens seemed to keep up with my Mayflower, but another member had a bad one. My '59-61Crescent version of the AT-2 has a lousy lens, so I think it's just the old hit or miss with Towas.

Edited by Kasmos, 17 July 2020 - 12:55 AM.

• oldmanastro, GreyDay and GoldSpider like this

#3 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

First light last night, checked out the moon and Jupiter.  Got a good close-up look at how much everything needs a good cleaning, but otherwise the view was quite pleasant.

IMG 1366

For some reason, the holes for the finderscope in the OTA do not match up with where they should be on the focuser.  Any thoughts on why this might be?  A fellow club member suggested that this might not be the original OTA.

IMG 1367

• steve t and Bomber Bob like this

#4 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:48 PM

First light last night, checked out the moon and Jupiter.  Got a good close-up look at how much everything needs a good cleaning, but otherwise the view was quite pleasant.

For some reason, the holes for the finderscope in the OTA do not match up with where they should be on the focuser.  Any thoughts on why this might be?  A fellow club member suggested that this might not be the original OTA.

The location and holes are correct.

They do not thread into the focuser, but it probably should have a threaded inner collar for that.

Crescent-Tasco-Focusers.jpg

Both of these have a threaded collar inside the OTA. 

From what I've seen, it seems later Towa got cheap and just punctured and threaded the tube.

These two have a slow motion control on the other side of the tube that also bolts into the inside collar for support,

so perhaps those without one, just thread the finder into the punctured tube. That's how it is with my 6TE.

Edited by Kasmos, 30 July 2020 - 02:57 PM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob and GoldSpider like this

#5 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

The location and holes are correct.

They do not thread into the focuser, but it probably should have a threaded inner collar for that.

attachicon.gifCrescent-Tasco-Focusers.jpg

Both of these have a threaded collar inside the OTA. 

From what I've seen, it seems later Towa got cheap and just punctured and threaded the tube.

These two have a slow motion control on the other side of the tube that also bolts into the inside collar for support,

so perhaps those without one, just thread the finder into the punctured tube. That's how it is with my 6TE.

I opened 'er up this morning and there was indeed an inner collar which had rotated out of position due to it not being secured by a bolt opposite the finder holes.

#6 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

One last question:  Any idea where I could source one of those thumbscrews?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics