•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TIFF or FITS for PI after stacking in AS3?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SupernovaDust

SupernovaDust

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Zofingen, Switzerland

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:45 AM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there is any advantage in using a stacked TIFF or FITS image in PixInsight (or RegiStax for that matter) for post processing. I noticed that my TIFF pictures are saved by autostakkert with 48bits and FITS with 32bits. But when I open the same image, stacked with the same options, in FITS format in PixInsight it's width and height is double the size as the TIFF version, the planet alone is bigger than the whole saturn including rings in TIFF format. Is this the trick how some people can post huge pictures of planets without loss of detail, should I postprocess with FITS? It keeps that size even when I save the FITS as a TIFF later on.

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

I save as TIFF because a couple of my post processing programs don't support FITS.

#3 SupernovaDust

SupernovaDust

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Zofingen, Switzerland

Posted 17 July 2020 - 04:34 AM

I save as TIFF because a couple of my post processing programs don't support FITS.

Yes but PixInsight does and the documentation for PI usually mentions FITS and not TIFF.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics