•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX Cygni: Birth of a Carbon star

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ssmith

ssmith

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

I was photographing LX Cygni as part of my ongoing carbon star survey and it wasn't until I began processing my photos and doing some research that I learned how unique this star is - it apparently has evolved from an S class star to a C class or Carbon Star from 1975 to 2008.  Over this time span its period of variability rapidly lengthened from 460 days to 588 days which researchers believe coincided with a "Dredging up of Carbon" from its interior to its surface, thus drastically changing its spectral signature. See this paper for a full discussion:   

Birth of a Carbon Star

Looking at the AAVSO light curves it also appears that its maximum visual magnitude has decreased from 9.0 to ~12.0 which makes it a more challenging object to observe visually.  In my photo I measured its current magnitude at ~14.1 which is near its minimum brightness of ~15.0.  I have also attached the AAVSO Light curve.

LX Cyg C9 7-12-20 6fr edit2.jpg

LX Cyg Light Curve.jpg

Edited by ssmith, 16 July 2020 - 01:05 PM.

• cildarith, robin_astro, gregj888 and 7 others like this

#2 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Glen Burnie (Maryland)

Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:37 PM

Thanks, an excellent report. It's amazing how much LX has dimmed over the years.

• flt158 likes this

#3 DHEB

DHEB

Apollo

• Loc: Sweden

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

Very interesting! Thank you for the pointer!

• flt158 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics