•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EAA - it works at last...

astrophotography CMOS EAA equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GazingOli

GazingOli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:39 AM

Good morning,

after I was struggeling a while with different equipment I recently decided to make my own custom built APO refractor. One of my first attempts in EAA was this: https://www.cloudyni...elp/?p=10096159 with a SW 80/400 Fraunhofer f/5. It was lightweight an fitted quite well for riding on my CPC800 but I had a lot of trouble with live stacking in SharpCap with the ZWO ASI120. It seemed as it the software could not find alignment stars. Frame after frame was being dropped an I was a little desperate and wondering if this was the 'normal business' of EAA.

Then I tried with a 100/600 triple lens refractor which turned out to be too heavy for the CPC. The alignment of the CPC did not work properly after the refractor was mounted on top. With a total weight of less than 4 kg I thought it should work, but it did not.

After a while I figured out, that the German shop Teleskop-Express offers a 80/480 APO lens kit at a reasonable price, which only weighs a little more than one pound. I hope it is ok to post the link: https://www.teleskop...-Lens-Cell.html. They offer 2 different teleskopes with this lens kit but each is over 3 kg / approx 6 pounds.

I thought it must be possible to build a leightweight telescope with this kit made only to hold a small CMOS camera. So I bought the lens kit, a hardpaper tube, a helical focusser and had an adapter made for the focusser. At the end I built some selfmade adjustable tube rings which fit into the finder shoes of the CPC (you can put a second shoe at the front of the scope).

Out came this:

20200719_002404kl.jpg

It is only 1,6 kg so far and the CPC seems to be fine with it.

Yesterday I had first light with this setup - and it worked perfektly!!! The image quality was much better than everything I had before and almost no frames dropped - SharpCap stacked and stacked, right as it should be. And I could even "see" nebulae that I could only dream of by using a scope visually in my lightpolluted backyard.

M20_Trifid.jpg

This is only one example. Please be aware that the scope is not even black painted inside and of course no darks yet. It was acually just a test to get into focus with the camera.

Making this custom scope is really a relief for me and a big step in getting better results in EAA.

Enjoy your sunday everybody!

CS.Oli

Edited by GazingOli, 19 July 2020 - 03:41 AM.

• Ptarmigan, mclewis1, tjay and 11 others like this

#2 Tony Bonanno

Tony Bonanno

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:30 AM

Good job!  I'm impressed that you built your own :-).  Keep at it.  I've found EAA NOT to be "plug and play".  Takes a bit of effort at my skill level..

#3 GazingOli

GazingOli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

Thank you - I found it not too hard, just an assembly job if you got the right pieces.

However EAA is definitely something you have to spend some time learning. Unless you use an eVscope as a friend of mine does - this is really a hell of a machine. You switch it on, wait a while for it to set itself up and then tell it what you want to watch. That's basically it.

In a way I wanted to show him, that the same thing is possible at much lower costs but it turns out that it is not that easy and the price for the eVscope is more reasonable than you would think it to be.

CS.Oli

• gwal0 likes this

#4 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:15 PM

It looks like you don't have a counterweight balance system on your CPC.  Using one I have previously carried 6kg of piggyback scope on a CPC1100 with no issues. (I now have a CPC925). I don't think your piggyback issues were with the weight of scope, just that the scope was not balanced.

FWIW

Gary

#5 GazingOli

GazingOli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

what kind of counterweight balance is there for a CPC? I've never heard of anything like that. Sounds reasonabel however :) just never thought about this option...

CS.Oli

Edited by GazingOli, 21 July 2020 - 03:04 PM.

#6 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Apollo

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:26 PM

what kind of counterweight balance is there for a CPC? I've never heard of anything like that. Sounds reasonabel however smile.gif just never thought about this option...

CS.Oli

ADM kit here (MDM Series)...Pat Utah   smile.gif

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10194479

Edited by Alien Observatory, 21 July 2020 - 08:26 PM.

• GazingOli likes this

#7 GazingOli

GazingOli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:08 PM

strangely it now also works with my CPC800... don't know what I changed. Yesterday I put two different cameras to the C8, even without reducer live stacking went without any trouble and reasonably good results. One difference was that I used a darkframe. Maybe that was it?

M57ASI120Crop.jpg

ZWO ASI 120

With 6.3 Celestron Reducer I used ATIK Infinity and ZWO ASI 120 mono, both with SharpCap

M57InfinityCrop.jpg

M27ASI120mitDark_verkl.jpg

M27InfinityCrop.jpg

M51InfinityCrop.jpg

All frames done under full moonlight.

CS.Oli

Edited by GazingOli, 31 July 2020 - 12:12 PM.

• roelb likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS, EAA, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics