•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who else sold a refractor, just to rebuy it later on?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:39 AM

I've done it several times with ED80 scopes. But... they're so consistently good that I don't really regret it as such: when I want one again I can usually find one for a good price with consistently good optics, so no great loss!

But... I sold an old gold-tube ED100 years ago, then on a whim re-purchased the black diamond version. Only sold that one to help fund an ED120.... I think.... (might be losing track)

Ironically, even though I own a Tak I actually regret the fact that I don't have an ED100 still (or again) as it's nice sometimes to have a "beater" scope that still performs well.

• Jon Isaacs and Lookitup like this

#52 Dougal

Dougal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:12 PM

Sold my Eon 120 several years ago and regretted it quickly. Bought another one and it’s a keeper.
  • Spyke, Jon Isaacs and clusterbuster like this

#53 sw196060

sw196060

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

Sold a TV-85 years ago.  Regret it. 

Would love another one, if a bag of money fell out  of the sky into my lap.

• clusterbuster likes this

#54 weis14

weis14

Explorer 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:49 PM

Sold an AP130GTX last year that I bought new in order to fund some other astro projects. Already regret it.

#55 Ringo

Ringo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Williams, AZ

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

Been in reverse aperture fever the past few years.  Bought and sold the Orion 120 F/5 twice and bought it again a 3rd time.  But after the 3rd time I also got my hands on a nice Celestron 102 F/5.  A pocket rocket.  After having them side by side multiple nights, the difference in brightness and view was so tiny I couldn't justify the much larger size and weight of the 120.  Sold it last year (for the 3rd time) and haven't looked back.

• Jon Isaacs and PKDfan like this

#56 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:24 AM

I am guilty.

My signature does not show it,(YET), as it is due to arrive today THU Aug 6th, 2020.

When it arrives, I will update my signature.

I am talking about the Celestron Omni XLT 150R Refractor.

I had one last year, sold it, have missed it ever since !

*NOTE*

My Meade 12 SCT ... AND my Meade 10 SCT were both sold but I have managed to get them BOTH BACK, they are both the exact Telescopes that I had once before,

KEEPERS NOW.

The Meade 10 SCT has some EXCELLENT OPTICS, the views through that 10 when it acclimates are INCREDIBLE.

Mark

• 25585 likes this

#57 mic1970

mic1970

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:15 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about the refractor.  I split a double in Cass if I remember with a club members (with a comma corrector filter).  You could have drove a truck through it where on my SCT it was just so so.  

I am guilty.

My signature does not show it,(YET), as it is due to arrive today THU Aug 6th, 2020.

When it arrives, I will update my signature.

I am talking about the Celestron Omni XLT 150R Refractor.

I had one last year, sold it, have missed it ever since !

*NOTE*

My Meade 12 SCT ... AND my Meade 10 SCT were both sold but I have managed to get them BOTH BACK, they are both the exact Telescopes that I had once before,

KEEPERS NOW.

The Meade 10 SCT has some EXCELLENT OPTICS, the views through that 10 when it acclimates are INCREDIBLE.

Mark

#58 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:55 AM

Been in reverse aperture fever the past few years.  Bought and sold the Orion 120 F/5 twice and bought it again a 3rd time.  But after the 3rd time I also got my hands on a nice Celestron 102 F/5.  A pocket rocket.  After having them side by side multiple nights, the difference in brightness and view was so tiny I couldn't justify the much larger size and weight of the 120.  Sold it last year (for the 3rd time) and haven't looked back.

I've had my Celestron 102 F5 for 16 years. At one time I also bought a 120 F5 but later sold it for the same reasons. The 120 F5 is surprisingly larger and heavier than the 102 F5.

Bob

• Jon Isaacs and 25585 like this

#59 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:40 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about the refractor.  I split a double in Cass if I remember with a club members (with a comma corrector filter).  You could have drove a truck through it where on my SCT it was just so so.

Refractors generally perform closer to their limit than other scopes but they're generally limited by their aperture in good seeing.  I prefer Newtonians for splitting the sub-arc second doubles for that reason.  Smaller Airy disks means I can split tighter doubles but it also means I have to make a serious effort to get the scope fully cooled.  

Jon

• 25585 likes this

#60 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

I've had my Celestron 102 F5 for 16 years. At one time I also bought a 120 F5 but later sold it for the same reasons. The 120 F5 is surprisingly larger and heavier than the 102 F5.

Bob

waytogo.gif

I bought a Celestron 102mm F/5 in February, it's the second one I've owned.  I think of them as the big brother to the ST-80.  They are nice and light so they can be mounted on a heavy duty photo tripod and they do a good job at the low power, wide field stuff that refractors are so good at.  

This one went the same way as the first one. Family and Friends.  Because of the Covid pandemic, my nephew bought a home and moved to the back country so his 4 year old twins didn't have to be cooped up inside.  He ask me about what scope to buy as the skies are pretty dark.. 

I gave him the 102mm F/5... 

Celestron 102mm F5 backyard.jpg

This thread is about selling telescopes only to buy another one.  Scopes like 80mm F/5's, 80mm F/11's, 102 mm F/5s and 102mm F/6s, I buy them when I see them at a good price, knowing that someone will be needing a scope.  When that someone comes along, I just give them the scope.. 

Jon

• drprovi57 and MarkMittlesteadt like this

#61 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:31 AM

waytogo.gif

I bought a Celestron 102mm F/5 in February, it's the second one I've owned.  I think of them as the big brother to the ST-80.  They are nice and light so they can be mounted on a heavy duty photo tripod and they do a good job at the low power, wide field stuff that refractors are so good at.  

This one went the same way as the first one. Family and Friends.  Because of the Covid pandemic, my nephew bought a home and moved to the back country so his 4 year old twins didn't have to be cooped up inside.  He ask me about what scope to buy as the skies are pretty dark.. 

I gave him the 102mm F/5... 

This thread is about selling telescopes only to buy another one.  Scopes like 80mm F/5's, 80mm F/11's, 102 mm F/5s and 102mm F/6s, I buy them when I see them at a good price, knowing that someone will be needing a scope.  When that someone comes along, I just give them the scope.. 

Jon

salute.gif

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics