•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet Linear and Bradfield positions for 4-28-04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 08:59 AM

See attached.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• 98217-April Comet Positions.jpg

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for posting the comet positions Barry. I failed to have an opportunity last weekend to have a look, but this weekend is shaping up well to get to a beach. Unfortunately Bradfield is fading fast I hear, so I hope it's not too far gone to still enjoy with binos.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:04 PM

I'm heading out about 4:00AM tomorrow morning with my 12x60s to find both of these. I can't wait...

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for posting the comet positions Barry. Unfortunately Bradfield is fading fast I hear

Not too fast, I hope. Barry's chart shows it at 6.4 mag but a report from Norway estimated it at 5.0 on 4/24 and a photo and report posted on spaceweather.com on 4/27 said it was naked eye from Colorado skies (fantastic photo, BTW).

I guess we just have to go out and look. :)

#5 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:18 AM

Hi Folks,

I posted this observation in the Planetery Forum but I know there is some interest here, too.

I saw C/2004 F4 (Bradfield) this morning 4/28 for the first time(!) I estimate transparency was 5-6/6 up high but only 3/6 near the horizon. Temperature was 30deg F with a moderate wind. I was using 10x50 binocs.

I have a mountain blocking the first 10-12 deg of horizon. Bradfield rose above the mountain at 0900UT (5:00AM EDT) and was easy to spot through the binocs. It was ~5-6deg SE of beta Andromedae with a fairly bright head (~mag 3.5-4.0) and a long graceful tail that streamed out to the west at least 7deg in the 10x view with a hint of another 7deg fading away. By 0925UT it was almost lost in the skyglow through the binocs.

Bradfield is everyone's idea of what a comet should look like--see it if you can. I'm going to try a sketch tomorrow AM; conditions were too cold and windy today. I was happy just to find and observe it.

I spotted C/2002 T7 (LINEAR) as well ~5deg east of the circlet in Pisces, but it is underwhelming compared to Bradfield--very faint with no discernable tail. I hope to look harder at it tomorrow.

BTW, I checked the FOV of my 10x50's using the values Barry gave for the lid on the teapot in Sag. The binocs say 7.5 deg FOV on them but the real deal is 6 deg.

Regards.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:21 AM

"I guess we just have to go out and look."

Exactly Michael. As a philosophy, regardless if I do or don't expect to find a certain celestial object(s), the act of searching & learning is an equal (if not greater) reward.

The current pic on spaceweather.com is of Bradfield taken from Cape Cod. That's what I hope to see!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics