•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Farewell TV Renaissance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Just sold my TV 101 Renaissance Brass Halley's Comet Edition as 2nd owner after having it for about 5 years.  Nice scope and a real looker - last night with it tonight but it's off to a fine Rocky Mountain home.  A bitter-sweet transition evoking The Red Violin.......

sniff..

• Bill Jensen and jeremiah2229 like this

#2 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:17 AM

bawling.gif

There is one for sale in Classifieds as well. confused1.gif

I have said "hello" to 2 Renaissances this year, a 102 & an 85. Glad yours has a new home. 

• Defenderslideguitar and B l a k S t a r like this

#3 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:33 PM

Very handsome scopes

While you may  wax poetic about that fine brass refractor   it seems like a new owner can cherish it as you have …….

I remember meeting Al Nagler in New Britain Connecticut at Central Connecticut University for an Astro fest Neaf like event in spring of 1984. There were very few participants   and he explained that it was so overcrowded the year before they decided not to advertise much..... I did not know much then and I did not know him  but we spent a couple of hours chatting    He had the  4 inch Brass Renaissance with him and it was superb    We talked about the  gorgeous refractor      and Halley's comet a year away.  I complained that President Reagan would not spend the money to have a NASA vehicle go by the comet  because it would cost One billion dollars. I commented that he just ordered 100 B 1 bombers at that price and we could have had 99 bombers and a NASA vehicle comet flyby and Mr. Nagler said he agreed with me.  I still have the pictures I took of him and I have one of his lovely brass refractor.....

Those TV scopes have a way of finding you again down the road   you may find yourself with another four inch TV  scope some day    I know  I did     just saying

BTW   Love the reference to the Red Violin     

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 29 July 2020 - 06:48 PM.

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#4 RichA

RichA

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

Very handsome scopes

While you may  wax poetic about that fine brass refractor   it seems like a new owner can cherish it as you have …….

I remember meeting Al Nagler in New Britain Connecticut at Central Connecticut University for an Astro fest Neaf like event in spring of 1984. There were very few participants   and he explained that it was so overcrowded the year before they decided not to advertise much..... I did not know much then and I did not know him  but we spent a couple of hours chatting    He had the  4 inch Brass Renaissance with him and it was superb    We talked about the  gorgeous refractor      and Halley's comet a year away.  I complained that President Reagan would not spend the money to have a NASA vehicle go by the comet  because it would cost One billion dollars. I commented that he just ordered 100 B 1 bombers at that price and we could have had 99 bombers and a NASA vehicle comet flyby and Mr. Nagler said he agreed with me.  I still have the pictures I took of him and I have one of his lovely brass refractor.....

Those TV scopes have a way of finding you again down the road   you may find yourself with another four inch TV  scope some day    I know  I did     just saying

BTW   Love the reference to the Red Violin     

Side issue, but reports produced in the 1970's stated the B-52 would cease being a credible deterrent by 1985.  Suggestions to replace bombers with cheaper missiles were met with scepticism because of errors from Vietnam concerning not having air-combat guns in fighter jets, relying on missiles instead.  Would be nice if 1/4 of the military budget could be devoted to astronomical research, but it's a pipe-dream.  Too many jobs, towns, rely on military contracts.  However, if they'd like to de-orbit the money-pit known as the ISS and put some of the $180 billion it's cost to planetary probes, I would love it.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics