•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

At the end of my knowledge - Could use some help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Node

Node

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

First, let me say thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope I have done my due diligence to avoid any obvious attributes which would just waste you time.

I do have a rock that I need help with and here is what's been done up to this point.

Story - Found the rock in my personally created rock garden/landscaping.  I built my home in 2000 in a new neighborhood.  We bought a small lot that butts up to a wood and farmer's field which to my delight are still the same today.  I had to clear the trees and after the ground excavation, I found I had bought a lot with a plethora of rocks.  I assumed the farmer rolled or moved field rocks onto the area that I would one day be the site of my home.  I took these rocks and made two retaining walls and lots of landscape border.  The smaller rocks where added to a rock garden on the back side of my deck.

In May of this year I was introduced the world of Meteorites (long story for another day) and I procured a metal detector and started testing all the rocks on my property.  What I found was a lot of crap and old square nails; however, In the rock garden, I found one rock that stood out due to the what looked like black crust.  I figured it was a native rock (Southern WI) and posted a request for identification at a geological forum.  I got some good advice but I was not able to classify the rock.  I cut off one end of the rock and was surprised to find a blue\green inside.  That started a closer look the rock and I began recording it's properties which have lead me here.

Rock Properties:

428 Grams

Density 3.058

Mild attraction to a magnet

Streak test - White or limited color when streaking

Has surface depressions from what looks to be material that more easily weather away.  Looks a bit like acne scars.

I not sure how else to describe it so to the pics!

Rock surface Pics:

Rock-03.jpg

Cut face:

Cut face small - Looks to be larger circles that make up this material

Remote-Perspective.png

Cut face reflections - Took a pic of the cut face reflecting the sun:

Reflection-Zoom.png

10x Mag of interior pics

Clean-Cut-Close-01.jpg

Clean-Cut-Close-05.jpg

Clean-Cut-Close-03.jpg

Clean-Cut-Close-01.jpg

10 Mag exterior pics:

Surface-Close-04.jpg

Surface-Close-03.jpg

Surface-Close-01.jpg

Thanks again for your time,

Ken...

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

I’m no expert however looks more earth like to me and perhaps to round looks like a pebble you see washed up on the beach could have traces of iron or pyrite 

#3 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:59 PM

Not a meteorite. You've done well with the pics, but the most revealing ones show stratification, and that rules out anything but a terrestrial specimen. 

Lee

• starbob1 and mark8888 like this

#4 Node

Node

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:15 PM

Can you be more specific as to where you see evidence of layering?

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

it’s just to organic looking to be a meteorite.and never round in shape or oval if you have a look online you know what I mean.from the outside looks like flint of some kind inside the stone itself a mixture of mineral deposits.quartz,iron maybe pyrite possible mica.looking at the purple-ish looks volcanic of earth origin.

Edited by Supernova74, 22 July 2020 - 03:29 PM.

#6 Node

Node

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

I understand it does not look like a common meteorite, what I am looking for evidence for a specific origin one way or another. 

#7 Node

Node

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:47 PM

Adding a better look at the cut face:

Dry

Clean-Cut-Crop.jpg

Wet

Clean-Cut-Wet-01-Crop.jpg

#8 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:17 PM

unfortunately this is mainly an Amateur Astronomy site maybe you could find a geologist of some description in a local museum for more accurate answers sorry cannot be of any further assistance message me if come up with any answers 

sean

#9 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:18 PM

Can you be more specific as to where you see evidence of layering?

The horizontal lines that are evident in the most recent close-ups that you just posted.

Lee

Edited by lee14, 23 July 2020 - 08:34 AM.

• mark8888 likes this

#10 mark8888

mark8888

Vanguard

Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:58 PM

it’s just to organic looking to be a meteorite.and never round in shape or oval if you have a look online you know what I mean.from the outside looks like flint of some kind inside the stone itself a mixture of mineral deposits.quartz,iron maybe pyrite possible mica.looking at the purple-ish looks volcanic of earth origin.

I agree that it doesn't look like a meteorite. But the shape is plausible. For example lots of Gao Guenie have a similar shape.

https://www.andrewjo...est-_F914AC987C

• lee14 likes this

#11 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

Hi Ken,

Not a meteorite. Shape, texture, and matrix don't look right for a meteorite.

Also, unless you live in a known strewnfield or there was a recent known fall, you will never find a meteorite in your yard.

I use this handy flowchart when considering rocks I have found :

meteor-find.jpg

• lee14, mark8888 and Stevegeo like this

#12 Xyrus

Xyrus

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 July 2020 - 05:32 PM

Based on your description of magnetism, the density, the color, and the structure of the rock this could be a form or peridotite (with other minerals thrown in).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics