•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How long did it take to get your mounts return back from Celestron?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

for service on average?

Thanks

Christian

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

I can't give you an average, not having sent in my mount for more than one repair. But a few years ago the dec motor on my AVX mount started clicking and was visibly causing vibration in my photos. I sent it back to Celestron under warranty (though I did have to pay shipping both ways), where it was repaired with a new motor and sent back to me. From request for RMA to having it arrive back on my doorstep took about 3 months. 

That was a few years ago though. 

Recently, my Edge 8 went for a roll off the dining room table and the corrector was destroyed. This scope was not under warranty, but I sent Celestron an email on 6/18 about it, and they were able to accept it for repairs. According to UPS, it should be back on my doorstep on 7/27. To help anyone that has any questions that may have to go through a similar process, I detailed my experience up until now here, if it may be of some use to you. 

Cheers! 

#3 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Recently, my Edge 8 went for a roll off the dining room table and the corrector was destroyed

Now that is just a horrible set of words for any astronomer to read.  Ouch !!

Off topic: I sent my iOptron mount in for adjustment and firmware upgrade and got it back in 6 business days :)

• zakry3323 and t-ara-fan like this

#4 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

Now that is just a horrible set of words for any astronomer to read.  Ouch !!

Off topic: I sent my iOptron mount in for adjustment and firmware upgrade and got it back in 6 business days smile.gif

I felt my heart fall into my shoes. Don't trust big cylindrical objects to sit happily on Vixen-style bars when there's a cat around! 

#5 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:36 PM

Jeeze's man I am so sorry to hear that.  That cat would be put out doors and shot lol. (Dog Lover)

I am just getting an idea what time frame i will be looking at.  I just mailed mine off and they should receive it on the the 28th of this month.  They did mention they didn't have any motor parts available due to Covid issue. Maybe they send me a replacement mount instead IDK. But thats my biggest concern on how long it will really be to receive back.

This is the problem it went in for.

https://youtu.be/FUXePQqEJr4

Pray to god it isnt 3 months =0(

Edited by WIZARD1325, 22 July 2020 - 06:06 PM.

• zakry3323 likes this

#6 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:34 PM

Jeeze's man I am so sorry to hear that.  That cat would be put out doors and shot lol. (Dog Lover)

I am just getting an idea what time frame i will be looking at.  I just mailed mine off and they should receive it on the the 28th of this month.  They did mention they didn't have any motor parts available due to Covid issue. Maybe they send me a replacement mount instead IDK. But thats my biggest concern on how long it will really be to receive back.

This is the problem it went in for.

https://youtu.be/FUXePQqEJr4

Pray to god it isnt 3 months =0(

Gosh that's a weird problem! The motor itself seems to work though, however intermittently. Hopefully it's a busted capacitor and a board replacement will fix the problem. 

#7 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

Years ago my CGE Pro suffered a board failure. It was technically no longer under warranty (but close).  Celestron still agreed to repair it at no charge and did so.  It took about 3 months total time, including shipment both ways.

#8 makeitso

makeitso

Messenger

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

In 2017 I sent my AVX in for repair under warranty. It took 3 weeks to get it back, they paid the shipping both ways.

It was a bad RA board according to them. It would star slewing back and forth in RA until it finally would take off in one direction. The only way to stop it was to cut power.

Jack

#9 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:47 PM

I sent an SCT to them, they said 6 weeks, took about 4 weeks.

But there wasn't Covid back then.
Wouldn't doubt they have limited staff right now.

#10 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:15 AM

Gosh that's a weird problem! The motor itself seems to work though, however intermittently. Hopefully it's a busted capacitor and a board replacement will fix the problem. 

Yea the motor works fine slewing or solar aignment or doingnthe first 2 star alignment just when it gets to the thrid or fourth is what happens in video i showed.  I mean this mount is in prestine condition babyed. So i was heart broken when it started doing it.   

Now i gotta sit and and wait to see what they tell me what it actually is.

Hopefully when i find out what the issue was i will post it on this thread and it would greatly help out someone out there.

#11 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 24 July 2020 - 02:17 PM

To my knowledge, they have been keeping to a 30-day turnaround even now, but I'm sure that is dependent on backlog and certainly on parts availability.

• Michael Covington likes this

#12 dustyc

dustyc

Messenger

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

Sent my CGEM in for a replacement board. Swapped boards and tunedup the mount and was back in my yard 3 weeks later. (This was pre Covid though)

#13 Halle3209

Halle3209

Lift Off

Posted 24 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

bought a new cgxl mount in april,horrible backlash and stiffness in movement.they still have no replacements.thanks covid

#14 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:07 AM

They said the same to me as well, with no parts available . But the way things look I believe there getting in a bunch of stuff end of July. All the vendors have out of stock items slotted for end of July.  Just a thought I could be wrong. So hopefully parts come in as well.

But don't they have a factory in Torrance cA?

#15 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 01:13 AM

To my knowledge, they have been keeping to a 30-day turnaround even now, but I'm sure that is dependent on backlog and certainly on parts availability.

I was on your site was looking at the;

TEMP-EST TEMPERATURE EQUILIBRATION SYSTEM FOR TELESCOPES - FOR EDGE HD AND VENTED STANDARD CELESTRON SCTS

Are they worth it?  Do you offer any military discounts?

From my garage to driveway here normally I had to wait an hour for cooldown realistically how much improvement will these be for my 1100edgeHD? Thanks!

Christian 

#16 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

They said the same to me as well, with no parts available . But the way things look I believe there getting in a bunch of stuff end of July. All the vendors have out of stock items slotted for end of July.  Just a thought I could be wrong. So hopefully parts come in as well.

But don't they have a factory in Torrance cA?

They do not manufacture things in Torrance anymore.  It's all Chinese now (Synta is a Chinese company).

#17 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

They do not manufacture things in Torrance anymore.  It's all Chinese now (Synta is a Chinese company).

Did I read somewhere that they still do assembly and QA for some of their higher-end OTA's in Torrance (I think it may have been in reference to their 14" SCT's)? 

#18 Scoobs231

Scoobs231

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=vj3QJ-i5cVA

They appear to have a factory in Torrance, may be more for QA testing?

• zakry3323 likes this

#19 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:13 PM

Did I read somewhere that they still do assembly and QA for some of their higher-end OTA's in Torrance (I think it may have been in reference to their 14" SCT's)? 

That is my understanding.  No manufacturing, just assembly of a limited number of high-end products and repairs.

• zakry3323 likes this

#20 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

They just received my mount today the clock starts now!

7/28/2020

Edited by WIZARD1325, 28 July 2020 - 01:06 PM.

• zakry3323 likes this

#21 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:36 AM

7/29/2020 Update from Celestron

Dear Christian,

Your CGX-L, Mount with Hand Control was received today!

The next steps are the evaluation and repair of your unit. Please note that repairs are handled on a first come first serve basis. While most repairs are turned around quickly, some complex repairs may take longer. Once your repair is complete and ready to ship, an e-mail with tracking number will be sent to you for your reference.

Rest assured that your unit is in good hands and will be handled with the utmost care by our qualified repair technicians. They will repair your unit, perform a series of diagnostic tests, and pack the unit properly before shipping it back out to you.

Our mission is to provide you with the best repair experience possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Celestron Technical Support Team

Edited by WIZARD1325, 29 July 2020 - 06:37 AM.

• zakry3323 likes this

#22 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

Time one:

I dropped off my AVX in Torrance due to it failing in the first week. My dumb luck, Celestron replaced their computers en-mass the day after I dropped mine off. took ~ a month, and showed up on the porch unannounced.

Time two:

It failed again, same Error 16 & 17. That time I dropped it at UPS, and it was ~ 2 weeks turn around.

Time three:

It died November 2019. I decided to get a nice new Losmandy GM811G HD. I never knew how much I was missing with the Asian mounts. The Losmandy just works, every night, all night, rock solid.

A friend bought the AVX head for parts for his AVX. So I hope the bones are helping him out.

• WIZARD1325 likes this

#23 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

7/30/2020 update from Celestron

Dear Christian,

We have good news!

Your repair is complete and we will provide the tracking number shortly.

For your reference, the following repairs were completed:

• Replaced RA motor and motor board
• Flashed hand control and motor control
• Completed goto testing
• Completed mechanical testing
• Tested all functions

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenience.

Thank you for choosing Celestron!

• zakry3323 likes this

#24 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern sierra California

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

yikes! three months for repair would suck.  my evolution mount azimuth motor stopped working and i just submitted a ticket online requesting an rma.  i gave up trying to get a hold of them via phone.  I hope it doesn't take a few months!  i just got this scope in May!  ugh.

OP i hope i have as quick a turn around as you

#25 WIZARD1325

WIZARD1325

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

I hope your comes as fast as mine did

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics