•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Use of a 30 mm Zeiss binocular head modified by Denis Levatić

binoculars
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cybernay

cybernay

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:48 AM

Hello all

I am French and a member of the Astro-Club d'Hautacam in Hautes-Pyrenées, every summer, the club organizes with the Tourist Office Astro observation evenings, at the Tramassel pass, at the foot of the Pic du Midi de Bigorre. These evenings are mainly intended for tourists to let them know our passion, with the various instruments of the members of the club who come to animate these evenings.

Owner of a C8, which does not have the best visual rendering compared to other instruments used during these evenings, with larger diameters, I tried to improve the visual of my telescope.

On Facebook, I made contact with Denis Levatić in June 2020, well known on Cloudy Nights as a binoviewer expert.
He very quickly responded to my request and offered to make a Zeiss 30 mm supercharged binocular head, which he sent me in less than 1 month.

I am posting the result to you, for those looking for the best performance from a binocular head with the largest field (30 mm), it seems to me the best.

Regarding the mounting on the C8, I used, on Denis's advice, an ultra-short T2 / 2 '' SC Baader 7mm adapter, with a Baader T2 Stardiagonal (Zeiss) Prism  with BBHS coating.

Denis had also supplied a Baader Quick Changer ring, and Badder Helical eyepieces holders, more efficient than the Clicklock eyepiece holders.

2 types of eyepieces were tested, a Zoom Zeiss Diascope 15-45 / 20-60, which is not optimal because it gives a slight vignetting due to the very wide barrels, and Zeiss W-PL 10X23 microscope eyepieces , which are perfect for this use, without any vignetting. (The latter are also quite easy to find occasionally in pairs because they come from reformed microscopes, and at a very competitive price compared to Astro eyepieces.

Good Skies to all

Christophe

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200721_162143.jpg

• denis0007dl likes this

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

Hello Christophe,

Thanks for your excellent post.  I have also a Zeiss binoviewer ,though of smaller clear aperture (25mm) but it works well for me as my main use is planetary and lunar views using Takahashi LE 18mm, 7.5mm and 5mm eyepieces with my TMB -LZOS 152mm scope. 

I tested many different diagonals and also the Baader Zeiss spec prism, in the end I kept the Baader Maxbright T2 diagonal for binoviewer use and the Baader 2" BBHS Sitall mirror for monoviewing with Delos eyepieces.

Clear skies,

#3 Nissaire

Nissaire

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:10 AM

Salut Christophe,

I recently acquired a used kit with the same 30mm supercharged Zeiss bino from Denis. It was provided with two eyepiece pairs: APM UFFs 24mm and 15mm. I've since purchased a Baader T2 prism to keep the light path short. I've used it for a few nights on my CPC1100 and my 127mm Mak. I'm extremely satisfied with this purchase, it's been a true game changer for me, for lunar&planetary as well as deep sky. I really dig the 3D-like effect that binocular summation provides.

Are you using a barlow or GPC?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics