•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Joy of Binoculars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 01:25 PM

Last night (actually, this morning) after returning home from a late-night gig in New Orleans, I popped outside with my 15x70s since I didn't have the time or energy to bring my scope out. Right away I bagged M4, M6, & M7 in Scorpius. I began thinking again of how wonderful it is to have a nice set of astronomical binoculars to just carry around for observing at a moment's notice!

After that, curiosity got the best of me & I had to get my 10x50s to compare the view. All 3 clusters were visible, but not nearly as well as through the larger binocs. But they sure were light to hold!

#2 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

I envy your more southerly location Bill.

I think Scorpius is one of the most stunning areas of sky, but I only get the chance to view it properly when holidaying in the Mediterranean.

I'll be there in July though :-)

P.S 15 x 70s are great for a quick hand -held session and even 20 x 80s can be at a pinch.

I think any larger than 80mm and the practice gets a little silly , but each to his own.

You're right though Bill - portability ,spontaneity ,
no -fuss , hand -holdability , stereo -vision , wide -fields -- all MAJOR factors in the JOY of binoculars.

Clear skies , Kenny.

#3 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:52 PM

Thanks, Kenny! I'm anxious to see Scorpius & Sagittarius under really dark skies. My light-polluted area certainly isn't putting on the best show!

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:52 PM

Yep, a good pair of binoculars epitomize the saying, Less is More.

I only had several minutes to spare early this evening, so I grabbed my beautiful Steiner 20X80 giants and got a quick fix from the crescent of Venus in the west, along with four of Jupiter's moons up above, all strung out in a line from their Mother Ship like jewels on a necklace. Then, one quick look at our own half-moon in between the two planets prepared my old eyes for the bright lights of the city again.

No muss, no fuss, just great viewing. That's what I love about a good pair of binoculars. KISS! Ain't life grand.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 April 2004 - 07:15 AM

Let us not forget the comets that will be dazzling the sky for the next 4 weeks too! Second to Messier Objects in my opinion, comets are the most awe striking natural wonders viewed with a good pair of binos. Your southern position Bill should enable you to "preview" comet NEAT for us northern folk.

#6 Bill Grass

Bill Grass

Prince Regent

• topic starter

Posted 28 April 2004 - 08:53 AM

I'll definitely have to be on the lookout for it! I haven't seen a comet since the Hyakutake & Hale-Bopp days.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics