•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neighbor gave me old telescope to see what I could see

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Crescent City, CA

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:29 PM

My neighbor had this telescope that he picked up when one of his friends passed away.  He told me go see what you can see with it because he knows I'm getting into astronomy.  I cleaned it up and it works pretty good just siting an object down the road a bit.  I'll come back and let you know if we are lucky enough to have some stars show up tonight.  Been overcast the last week.  Here's some pics of it and when I googled it, I found a thread on one like it here on CN:

tel 3.jpg tel 2.jpg tel 1.jpg

• ryanr256, steve t, Marc-Andre and 13 others like this

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Viking 1

Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

Rings of Saturn and Titan for sure with maybe two more moons with good seeing.  Casinni division will be hard even with superb seeing.

Bands on Jupiter and all four moons for sure.

Open clusters and Milky Way starfields.

At f/12, a 24mm eyepiece gives a 2mm exit pupil and a 6mm gives a 0.5mm exit pupil.  Very grab and go

• Goldengirl52 likes this

#3 Piaget

Piaget

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:09 PM

You have a very fine scope there. Asahi Pentax are very sought after by collectors. It will be interesting to hear about your viewing. Thanks Piaget

Edited by Piaget, 24 July 2020 - 10:09 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, steve t, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#4 scottsdalejohn

scottsdalejohn

Explorer 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:18 PM

and a great finder scope - sometimes that is all you need!

#5 fsphotography

fsphotography

Vostok 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

Congratulations,your neighbor has given you a very fine scope,your very lucky. I have the very same scope,serial No. 284624,very close to the number on yours. You will not be disappointed with its performance,

just keep in mind that at only 50mm it has its limitations. Enjoy your new scope,and bake your neighbor a cake.

Frank.

#6 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2020 - 10:33 PM

Hi Guys,

we're supposed to have clear skies according to my weather bug.  The wind is coming up just a little, but I'm just waiting for it to get dark enough waytogo.gif

• Terra Nova and B 26354 like this

#7 JohnBear

JohnBear

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:11 PM

Look for Neowise about half way between the horizon and the Big Dipper. You can also check the location on most free astronomy apps.

#8 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:55 PM

I have NEVER in my life seen the craters of the moon with my own eyes, and I just did!!  I tried so hard to take a pic with my smartphone but I had nothing to hold it steady, wow!  I'm so excited but I sure need something easier to hand than that scope. I had no way of finding except the naked eyes but I lined up with the crescent moon which was crystal clear once I got it focused in.  Then I saw Jupiter after that, I think maybe one ring.  Then I saw Saturn, pretty sure but no rings.

Tomorrow I'll see if this smartphone mount will fit on this scope.  Maybe get a pic.  I know it would have worked if I could have held it steady.  The wind was blowing and freezing so I finally gave up but there were more things to look at but I need a better scope.  Here's my thread on learning, and searching for the right one for me;

https://www.cloudyni...7#entry10364483

PS The moon really was crystal clear this pic stinks, lol!!

IMG_20200724_212554540.jpg

• beanerds, DreamWeaver, Marc-Andre and 7 others like this

#9 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:35 AM

Jupiter right now is easy to find. It is the brightest "star" in the heavens, look south east after 9:00 PM. You should be able to see 4 moons unless one or more are behind Jupiter or in front of Jupiter.

Nice little scope.

#10 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

"Then I saw Jupiter after that, I think maybe one ring.  Then I saw Saturn, pretty sure but no rings."

Hope you don't mind a little correction, but I believe you have that backward.  Jupiter doesn't have any rings.  Saturn is the one with the rings.

Right now, Jupiter is the brighter of the two, and Saturn is the one left of Jupiter.

smile.gif

Edited by Garyth64, 25 July 2020 - 07:39 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar and Goldengirl52 like this

#11 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:58 AM

“My neighbor had this telescope that he picked up when one of his friends passed away.  He told me go see what you can see with it because he knows I'm getting into astronomy.  I cleaned it up and it works pretty good just siting an object down the road a bit.  I'll come back and let you know if we are lucky enough to have some stars show up tonight.  Been overcast the last week.“

I love your enthusiasm and excitement. I still feel the same way after observing for nearly 60 years.

Amazon has nice iPhone holders that are designed for telescopes for around $20.

Bob

#12 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:13 AM

Jupiter right now is easy to find. It is the brightest "star" in the heavens, look south east after 9:00 PM. You should be able to see 4 moons unless one or more are behind Jupiter or in front of Jupiter.

Nice little scope.

Yes, I know I saw Jupiter, seen it with the naked eye a few times, especially when it's right next to the Moon (well, sorta) ;)  Is that you Mulder??

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#13 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

“My neighbor had this telescope that he picked up when one of his friends passed away.  He told me go see what you can see with it because he knows I'm getting into astronomy.  I cleaned it up and it works pretty good just siting an object down the road a bit.  I'll come back and let you know if we are lucky enough to have some stars show up tonight.  Been overcast the last week.“

I love your enthusiasm and excitement. I still feel the same way after observing for nearly 60 years.

Amazon has nice iPhone holders that are designed for telescopes for around $20.

Bob

I have one Bob!!  I don't think it will fit on this scope, but I plan to check today.  I bought it to fit on the Star Blast I sent back (another story for another time).  We'll never run out of things to see will we!  I'm 67 and this is my first time ever exploring the heavens with something other than just my eyes ;)

• rcwolpert and Defenderslideguitar like this

#14 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

"Then I saw Jupiter after that, I think maybe one ring.  Then I saw Saturn, pretty sure but no rings."

Hope you don't mind a little correction, but I believe you have that backward.  Jupiter doesn't have any rings.  Saturn is the one with the rings.

Right now, Jupiter is the brighter of the two, and Saturn is the one left of Jupiter.

smile.gif

I just meant the color-bands of orange or brown Gary, but thank you because I can absolutely be backwards at times ;)  The one band I "might" have seen was closer to the top.  I was wondering if those planets were just too far for me to see with that scope.  That's what I figured, but then I started thinking about that CA thing I've read about chromatic aberration where the colors (I think blue and red) turn the view blurry??

• Garyth64 likes this

#15 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 25 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

There is going to be very little CA in your 50mm telescope.   Most likely it's due to the low altitude of Jupiter and the small aperture of your 50mm scope.. but boy what a beautiful scope that is.  You lucked out for your first scope yo view the heavens! 

#16 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

There is going to be very little CA in your 50mm telescope.   Most likely it's due to the low altitude of Jupiter and the small aperture of your 50mm scope.. but boy what a beautiful scope that is.  You lucked out for your first scope yo view the heavens! 

That's amazing but I do know what I saw with it ;)  Yes, I thought about the aperture because that is a very small tube compared to the ones I see people using.  That's why it was also hard to find my targets, or harder I should say.  But that sky is freaking big!! ;)

#17 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:16 PM

If you look at your scope you have two silver tabs with holes in them sticking up on the top of the scope on each end.  You use those sights to align the object in the sky.

If they have not been moved  you should be able to sight Jupiter in the sights and Jupiter should be in the eyepiece 

Edited by tony_spina, 25 July 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#18 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

If you look at your scope you have two silver tabs with holes in them sticking up on the top of the scope on each end.  You use those sights to align the object in the sky.

If they have not been moved  you should be able to sight Jupiter in the sights and Jupiter should be in the eyepiece 

Yes, I tried but only looked through the one near the end, LOL!!  So what I finally did was get down look as if I was looking directly though the tube at the Moon, or planets.  It got me close enough to move the tube, but what a hassle, lol!! It's jerky not smooth lol.gif

Edited by Goldengirl52, 25 July 2020 - 12:21 PM.

#19 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:24 PM

You have a fine little scope there. It should deliver sharp, crisp views. I’m sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Be sure to check out Alberio, my favorite double star. Your little will split it well and should also show the two stars like little topaz and emerald gems. It’s lightness and portability and the easy to use mount will make it a nice grab-and-go telescope. Welcome to Cloudy Nights! :) waytogo.gif

#20 Bonco2

Bonco2

Messenger

Posted 25 July 2020 - 03:47 PM

You didn't mention what eyepieces you have. Hopefully you have at least 3. Tell us what you have and we can suggest certain ones if it seems necessary for you fully enjoy the telescope's capability. You can calculate the magnification by dividing the eyepiece focal length into the telescope's focal length. ie... if you have a 25mm eyepiece divide that into 600mm to yield 24X. For planetary use you'll need more power than that. Have fun experimenting with the little feller.

Bill 

#21 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

You have a fine little scope there. It should deliver sharp, crisp views. I’m sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Be sure to check out Alberio, my favorite double star. Your little will split it well and should also show the two stars like little topaz and emerald gems. It’s lightness and portability and the easy to use mount will make it a nice grab-and-go telescope. Welcome to Cloudy Nights! smile.gif waytogo.gif

Thanks Terra ;)  I don't think my neighbor wanted to give the scope away ;)  I went over to let him know it works, but also explained that it was hard to line up with the Moon.  But when I did line it up it was amazingly clear with the craters and all ;)  I think he just meant to loan it to me ;)  That's ok too, he is quiet elderly and I would be happy as heck to get him out there looking at the stars.  I told him I was looking around for one and would let him know when I'm out there, and encouraged him to go out tonight if the Moon is as bright as lastnight.

The other thing is after using the scope I knew what I needed to buy, and I don't need that scope.  Some folks here know I have essential tremor and I need all the help I can get from "lets say" a smart-scope.

Thanks for the welcome, I love the forum and all I'm learning ;)

Denise

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#22 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 04:12 PM

You didn't mention what eyepieces you have. Hopefully you have at least 3. Tell us what you have and we can suggest certain ones if it seems necessary for you fully enjoy the telescope's capability. You can calculate the magnification by dividing the eyepiece focal length into the telescope's focal length. ie... if you have a 25mm eyepiece divide that into 600mm to yield 24X. For planetary use you'll need more power than that. Have fun experimenting with the little feller.

Bill 

ok bonco, I have 3 of them:

6.4 Plossl

MA 9mm

MA 25mm

I don't think my neighbor wanted to give it away, I misunderstood I think ;)  It's really ok though because I didn't want to use it anyway.  It was soooooo stressful ;)  I'll be searching and have other threads helping me find one.  But I do hope those eyepieces will fit whatever I get if it doesn't have those sizes ;) Denise

#23 Bonco2

Bonco2

Messenger

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

Goldengirl

That a perfect set of eyepices for that telescope.

Bill

• Tropobob and Goldengirl52 like this

#24 Tropobob

Tropobob

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:54 PM

If U rise a little before dawn, U can also check out Venus and Mars.  Venus shows a crescent phase at the moment, like the Moon. Being able to so easily observe at any time is a nice feature of grab & go scopes.  

#25 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:00 PM

Goldengirl

That a perfect set of eyepices for that telescope.

Bill

It's no longer an issue but, I am hoping to purchase a telescope very soon, that those will fit ;)  I have another thread on that though ;)  Thanks so much for the info, and I need to learn how you knew they would fit if you have the time ;) Denise

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics