•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Neighbor gave me old telescope to see what I could see

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Crescent City, CA

Posted 25 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

If U rise a little before dawn, U can also check out Venus and Mars.  Venus shows a crescent phase at the moment, like the Moon. Being able to so easily observe at any time is a nice feature of grab & go scopes.  

We are having some good clear skies, so far so good here on the coast.  No scope yet (the old gentleman meant for me to just try it out so I thought that was what he meant but wasn't positive)  I just took it back today and talked to him and there was no hesitation in him taking it back ;)  I hope I can get him to try it, or mine, when I get it.  You can check what I am capable of seeing if you google Crescent City, CA and it's long/lat. I have a great shared deck with all who live here, but never use it, but I do ;)  I can go out anytime of night with no issue at all ;)  I will look on my Sky Map App, or maybe one that for sure will tell me what's going to be where ;) Thank you so much!! Denise

#27 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

Hi

Even though the aperture is small, it is a very great scope, Pentax is top notch. The 50mm lens will probably show you as much as some 60mm lenses of less quality. I would love to have one like that, great for lunar and the larger planets. Wii also be an excellent spotter for day time use.

• Goldengirl52 likes this

#28 ButterFly

ButterFly

Apollo

Posted 25 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

Definitely a good match for a picture window or porch with a view.  I sure hope someone loves it and takes care of it.

#29 JohnBear

JohnBear

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:05 PM

Actually, you can get a LOT of astronomy enjoyment with ordinary prism binoculars (8X40 up to 10X50) that won't cost more than $50-60, even less if you pick up a used pair. Worth considering if you are thinking about getting a telescope some day.

• BarabinoSr, Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#30 Bonco2

Bonco2

Messenger

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:38 PM

It's no longer an issue but, I am hoping to purchase a telescope very soon, that those will fit wink.gif  I have another thread on that though wink.gif  Thanks so much for the info, and I need to learn how you knew they would fit if you have the time wink.gif Denise

The Japanese telescopes of that period, typically had .965 diameter eyepiece barrels. They are very common to most of the telescopes of that time, however the quality is variable between manufactures. Pentax  quality is known to be very good.

Bill

#31 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 04:51 PM

Actually, you can get a LOT of astronomy enjoyment with ordinary prism binoculars (8X40 up to 10X50) that won't cost more than $50-60, even less if you pick up a used pair. Worth considering if you are thinking about getting a telescope some day.

Ty John, I do plan on getting a set of binoculars but I ordered my telescope yesterday.  It's a beginners type but I think it is going to be plenty for me to start with ;)  It's an Orion Observer 80ST 80mm .  I needed something I could move easily and this is pretty light-weight. 

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#32 JohnBear

JohnBear

Viking 1

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:02 PM

The Orion 80St is a good choice (IMHO).  I offers a lot of capability for a beginner and as you future Grab and Go scope.

Using the GEM mount might take some learning and getting used to. See if you can download the manual and study it before the scope arrives. Also look at some videos on using GEM mounts and "polar alignment". That should help you get off to a quick start.

If you want to upgrade the factory Kellner eyepieces (EPs) on a budget, take a look at the Svbony 10mm and 23mm 62 degree Aspheric EPs on Amazon or Ebay ($10-15 each).  Looking at the specs for the Kellners and Aspherics and comparing them visually will teach you a lot about what you want to look for in future EP upgrades (and some good EPs can cost as much as your telescope).

Enjoy that nice telescope!

Edited by JohnBear, 26 July 2020 - 06:03 PM.

#33 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:33 PM

The Orion 80St is a good choice (IMHO).  I offers a lot of capability for a beginner and as you future Grab and Go scope.

Using the GEM mount might take some learning and getting used to. See if you can download the manual and study it before the scope arrives. Also look at some videos on using GEM mounts and "polar alignment". That should help you get off to a quick start.

If you want to upgrade the factory Kellner eyepieces (EPs) on a budget, take a look at the Svbony 10mm and 23mm 62 degree Aspheric EPs on Amazon or Ebay ($10-15 each).  Looking at the specs for the Kellners and Aspherics and comparing them visually will teach you a lot about what you want to look for in future EP upgrades (and some good EPs can cost as much as your telescope).

Enjoy that nice telescope!

Wow, I so appreciate the info John!  I have so much to learn and didn't know the tripod was a GEM, or even what a GEM is! 

I just got my library book checked out to my Kindle called "Astronomy for Dummies", lol!  I also am reading The Stars by H.A. Rey.  I'm loving that one and learning my constellations.  I'll be starting a thread on my new adventure, and hope you'll come by! Denise

• rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#34 JohnBear

JohnBear

Viking 1

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:59 PM

CN is also a great resource once you learn how to use the search features - try this :

https://www.cloudyni...ry#entry7156946

ALSO: https://www.cloudyni...d-acronym-list/

Edited by JohnBear, 26 July 2020 - 07:03 PM.

#35 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

If you look at your scope you have two silver tabs with holes in them sticking up on the top of the scope on each end.  You use those sights to align the object in the sky.

If they have not been moved  you should be able to sight Jupiter in the sights and Jupiter should be in the eyepiece 

Can't thank you enough for telling me about those "finder" brackets, they work great!!  I saw Bill, my neighbor with the scope, and told him if he'd bring out his scope, we could look at the Moon!  It was bright last night and I can't remember what time we went out but there were no stars yet.  I know when the Moon passes by more will be seen so we did stay out there about an hour, maybe more.  The Moon was a bit over half, and looked so amazing so I called my gal-friend Colleen to come out too. She's been playing with the star-apps on her phone.  They were both amazed how well the little telescope works!  We really had fun and it was about 9:30 when we went back inside.

Bill went home earlier and left me with the scope so I'll ask today when I see him if it's ok to use it until mine gets here wink.gif  I'd like to have it out late again when the stars get much brighter (unless fog shows up, or clouds).  I did line-up with Jupiter again but it was so hazy at the time, I couldn't see much of it at all.  Another Star was almost straight up and West just a little.  I looked on my Sky Map app, and saw it might have been a star that started with an A, but I didn't write it down so I don't know for sure.  I want to say Alcatraz, but I know I wasn't looking South to San Francisco lol.gif

Edited by Goldengirl52, 28 July 2020 - 09:18 AM.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#36 39cross

39cross

Vostok 1

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

Star that starts with an "a" in the west...Arcturus? Does that ring a bell?

Or maybe you meant closer to Jupiter. Another bright "a" star is Altair.

That's great you're having so much fun with the 🔭. Pretty amazing what you can see, isn't it?

Edited by 39cross, 28 July 2020 - 04:00 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar and Goldengirl52 like this

#37 Goldengirl52

Goldengirl52

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

That's it 39Cross, LOL!!  Yes sir, that rang the bell alright!!  I am hoping for clear skies every night now grin.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics