•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss (Jena) 10x50 Dekarems

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:41 PM

I recently acquired a pair of CZJ Dekarem binoculars. They look fine externally but I can tell through looking at them that something is not right; they need work. They seem to be slihtly out of collimation, but beyond that, there is another problem. The left ocular view is dim compared to the right. I don’t know if something (the prism?) has slipped inside? The glass as seen from the outside all looks fine. I have sent an email off to Cory Suddeth to inquire about servicing. I got them for a good price and they are otherwise in great external condition and even the Original leather case Is in good shape, so rather than send them back to the seller, I’d rather just get them fixed and keep them.

• harbinjer, Corcaroli78, fsphotography and 1 other like this

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 25 July 2020 - 01:49 PM

Those binoculars have a fine reputation.
I personally would do exactly the same.
  • Terra Nova likes this

#3 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 25 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

I recently acquired a pair of CZJ Dekarem binoculars. They look fine externally but I can tell through looking at them that something is not right; they need work. They seem to be slihtly out of collimation, but beyond that, there is another problem. The left ocular view is dim compared to the right. I don’t know if something (the prism?) has slipped inside? The glass as seen from the outside all looks fine. I have sent an email off to Cory Suddeth to inquire about servicing. I got them for a good price and they are otherwise in great external condition and even the Original leather case Is in good shape, so rather than send them back to the seller, I’d rather just get them fixed and keep them.

Hi Terra,

Happy to hear you have received your Dekarem. Just keep in mind that the bino is at least 30 years old and, in many cases, even when the binocular looks fine and clear, a proper maintenance will bring them to the best of its performance. When i received my Dekarem, i also noticed something wrong in the collimation, and what i did was to unscrew the barrels and screw them again. i noticed that they are prone to miscollimation: a small hit can move the barrel a little and that is obvious in the image. After that, the views were perfect, but the previous owner was a heavy smoker and i was not able to remove entirely the odour, so I sent my Dekarem for full cleaning and maintenance because i liked it so much, that i wanted to have it as pristine as possible, with some enhancements for astronomical use (blackening of prisms and barrels) after that, the result was noticeable. I do not regret the investment i did  (ca. 100 EUR) (which cost more than the bino: 40 EUR :-) 

As a final comment, i strongly recommend to pair them with a bino bandit and you will enjoy them more!! 

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 25 July 2020 - 03:13 PM.

• Jens.Jacobsen, fsphotography and Terra Nova like this

#4 fsphotography

fsphotography

Vostok 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:35 PM

Hi Terra,i doubt that the dimness in the left ocular has been caused by the prism being displaced. In the last few months i have found two of these bino's,the first one is a very early one made in about 1938 serial 1830318 that had about half a cupfull of black gunk rattling around in it so had to be completely dismantled and cleaned. The prisms are seated in a machined recces which they fit into very closely and firmly held there by a leaf spring and screw. For a prism to move the screw and spring would have to be dislodged and its highly unlikely that the prism would stay in place,most likely fall out of its seat and rattle around in the body of the bino and you would definitely know about it. I agree with Carlos that they would benefit from a good cleaning as i think they most likely have some light haze on the prisms. Out of curiosity i looked inside the later pair i have which is of about the same vintage as yours and found that except for a couple of small details the construction is the same. As for the slight out of collimation the solution Carlos suggested does occasionally

work and ive had success with it myself. However is you send them off to Cory Suddarth for a clean i'm sure he will also take care of that problem for you.

Enjoy your new binocular.

Frank.

Edited by fsphotography, 25 July 2020 - 10:35 PM.

• Corcaroli78 and Terra Nova like this

#5 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Carlos and Frank. I have no idea really what the problem is. I can’t see anything from looking in through the objectives and nothing rattles, but they are a bit out of collimation and the left is dimmer. As you both say, even though they look good from the outside, disassembly and a good cleaning is in order. I can tell that they are a real quality build and they are otherwise in excellent shape so they are most definitely worth it. And the edge blackening would be a real benefit as Carlos recommends. I send Suddeth Optical an email yesterday. I hope to hear back from them early in the week so that I can get them sent off.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

I heard from Cory today, and he has received my 10x50 Dekarems. I’m excited for him to work his magic on them. I’ll post pictures when I get them back.

• Corcaroli78, fsphotography and j.gardavsky like this

#7 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

It is easy to open them and look what happened. In the state it is, you don't have anything to lose.

I owned one for more than 30 years before I replaced them. Lenses got yellow - may be they used Canada balsam for glueing. Modern top notch are much better but much more expansive. Edge sharpness is so la la at the Dekarem, and the pupil distance is rather small. They tend to get out of collimation easily. Prisms are hold by leaf springs only in their position. 

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#8 Ant1

Ant1

Messenger

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:55 AM

Hi

Vey accurate description of the Dekarems, Uwe.

Interestingly enough the eyepieces are a 4-lens design and not a 5-lens one.

Even today I like to get them out under the stars, in the summer nights, and spend a peaceful time looking at the skies.

Regards,

Ant1

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

I got my 10x50 Zeiss Dekarems back from Cory Suddeth last Wednesday. He did a wonderful job cleaning, re-collimating, and otherwise refurbishing them. They are very sharp, with bright contrasty images. Because of the weather, I haven’t been able to use them a lot but I am very pleased with them thus far and I know I will enjoy them a lot!

• Jae, Erik Bakker, Cory Suddarth and 5 others like this

#10 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

I got my 10x50 Zeiss Dekarems back from Cory Suddeth last Wednesday. He did a wonderful job cleaning, re-collimating, and otherwise refurbishing them. They are very sharp, with bright contrasty images. Because of the weather, I haven’t been able to use them a lot but I am very pleased with them thus far and I know I will enjoy them a lot!

Hi Terra,

Nice to hear you have your Dekarem back at home. Sharpness and very plastic view is what i remember when i looked thought them the first time, i was instantly hooked and it pushed me to get more Zeiss binos. On axis are amazing. Not bad for a 90 years old design.

https://www.allbinos..._1931-1990.html

Clear skies!

Carlos  

Edited by Corcaroli78, 24 October 2020 - 04:49 PM.

• Terra Nova, B 26354 and j.gardavsky like this

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 25 October 2020 - 05:24 AM

Good news Terra, enjoy those classics now they are working properly again!

• Terra Nova likes this

#12 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:32 PM

Major thanks to Corcaroli78 for posting that very informative article.... and congratulations on your find, Terra!

Six years ago, I acquired a pair of Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50Ws (wide-field) from a seller in the UK. They are multi-coated, and their serial number indicates that they were made in 1978. The seller had advertised them as "A VERY clean pair". An original leather hard case was included, and looked as though it had hardly been touched. Upon taking them out of their case, it honestly appeared as though they had never previously seen the light of day. They have a 7.3° actual FOV, and they are second in sharpness only to my Docter 15x60s.

I absolutely love them... and I know that you will thoroughly enjoy your Dekarems, Terra. waytogo.gif

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova and j.gardavsky like this

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2020 - 11:33 PM

I just came in from a short stint touring the Fall and early Winter sky with my 10x50 Zeiss Dekarems that I recently got back from Cory Suddeth. All I can say is Wowie Zowie! You’ll shoot yer eye out kid! They are amazing! I checked out the Orion Nebula, the Hyades, the Pleiades, the Andromeda Galaxy, and the Northern Milky Way from Pegasus, through Perseus, and on down into Cassiopeia, along with a quick stop to admire Capella in Auriga. We have a clear, stable night here tonight (I had my Tak FC-76 set up earlier to observe Mars). The sky was like black velvet, the stars like tiny brilliant pinpoints. Wonderful contrast, sharpness, and color rendition of the stars. I am very pleased. They fully reminded me of views I enjoyed many years ago whilst a teenager. My astronomy friend had some Zeiss West 15x60s that were wonderful. All I can say is that I am very pleased.

• Erik Bakker, Corcaroli78, SandyHouTex and 4 others like this

#14 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:39 AM

I almost forgot. The pictures I promised some time ago:

Attached Thumbnails

• B26971E3-DB33-44BA-B821-47390183869F.jpeg

• Cory Suddarth, Corcaroli78, SandyHouTex and 4 others like this

#15 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:10 AM

A classic. Do you think you'll continue to use the old neck strap, or replace it with something a bit wider? (but not one of those modern neoprene ones of course)
  • Terra Nova likes this

#16 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:43 AM

Congratulations, Terra!

And your Dekarems are in the quality class 1Q

I have somehow found the old CZJ binoculars better for my eyes than the new Jenoptems, and so, I have parted with all my Jenoptems.

Clear dark velvet skies with the shining diamonds to you,

JG

#17 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 07 November 2020 - 12:36 PM

Congratulations, Terra!

And your Dekarems are in the quality class 1Q

I have somehow found the old CZJ binoculars better for my eyes than the new Jenoptems, and so, I have parted with all my Jenoptems.

Clear dark velvet skies with the shining diamonds to you,

JG

That is very interesting JG, 

I own CZJ Dekarem 1Q multicoated from 1978 and CZJ 10x50W Jenoptem from 1982 and i must admit that i feel the Jenoptem more comfortable, even the smell is better :-)

I know the Jenoptem and Dekarem are basically the same binocular (as stated by Allbinos and Holger Merlitz). For some reason, the Jenoptem offers a more relaxed view to my eyes. It may be the bakelite eyepiece ring (In the case of the Deltrintem,, the aperture is a couple of milimiters wider than the Jenoptem 8x30W). For my Dekarem,  I alternate the rubber guards with the bakelite guards as the rubber ones have lower profile and allow me to get more FOV.

In any case, beside its limitations against modern binos, the Dekarem/Jenoptem 10x50 is by far my most beloved optical instrument, (more than my Telementor). it showed me the colors of the stars, beautifully framed DSO´s, all major DSO´s pop immediately, and the 7.3 degrees is a pleasure for my poor sight. With the Bino-Bandit, the experience is really immersive!!

I almost forgot. The pictures I promised some time ago:

Very nice pics!!

I always dreamed to own a Zeiss Jena....

zeissfeldhimmel.jpg

Clear Skies!!

Carlos 

• Cory Suddarth, Terra Nova, davidc135 and 1 other like this

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 07 November 2020 - 01:57 PM

A classic. Do you think you'll continue to use the old neck strap, or replace it with something a bit wider? (but not one of those modern neoprene ones of course)

I really haven’t given it much thought yet Mark. Maybe? The old strap is quite soft and in good condition, not cracked and dried out at all. The leather case is still soft and supple as well.

#19 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:39 PM

Hello Terra,

what about a ZEISS (West) air cells strap for your bino?

https://www.ebay.de/...IMAAOSwPYZU21UE

This might be a sort of "reunification" ZEISS (West) - CZJ (East),

JG

#20 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:49 PM

As the Zeiss are prone to miscollimation, what about objective shock absorbers? :-)

https://www.ebay.de/...mAAAOSwl29ajCUC

I found them very convenient and relatively cheap

Carlos

Edited by Corcaroli78, 07 November 2020 - 03:50 PM.

• Terra Nova and j.gardavsky like this

#21 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:13 PM

My parents got some 10x50w in the late 80s, nice and wide, but other binoculars give sharper views towards the edges. I love the original smell in the leather case.

Peter

#22 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 08 November 2020 - 03:02 PM

I think I will keep it all original and stock. I would like to find a leather strap for the case tho and some objective and eyepiece caps.

• SandyHouTex, fsphotography and j.gardavsky like this

#23 Herr_Alien

Herr_Alien

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Romania

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:36 PM

I don't recall seeing any caps on my coleague's Dekarems. I don't recall any caps for either Dekarem or Jenoptem binoculars, in any ads. What I did for my Jenoptems was to improvize. Plastic caps from jars of mustard cover the objectives, caps from oil bottles cover the eyepieces. It doesn't look pretty, but functionality is there 100%.
  • Terra Nova and j.gardavsky like this

#24 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

I don't recall seeing any caps on my coleague's Dekarems. I don't recall any caps for either Dekarem or Jenoptem binoculars, in any ads. What I did for my Jenoptems was to improvize. Plastic caps from jars of mustard cover the objectives, caps from oil bottles cover the eyepieces. It doesn't look pretty, but functionality is there 100%.

These old Zeiss binoculars have been delivered without caps.

There used to be caps for the Zeiss tactical (military) binoculars.

Best,

JG

• Terra Nova likes this

#25 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 08 November 2020 - 06:33 PM

Yeah... I've owned three pairs of vintage Zeiss over the years -- 7x50, 10x50 and 15x50 -- and none of them came with either objective or eyepiece caps. The close-fitting, hard leather cases have always done a great job of keeping dust away.  waytogo.gif

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics