•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zeiss (Jena) 10x50 Dekarems

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:00 PM

Yeah... I've owned three pairs of vintage Zeiss over the years -- 7x50, 10x50 and 15x50 -- and none of them came with either objective or eyepiece caps. The close-fitting, hard leather cases have always done a great job of keeping dust away.  waytogo.gif

That’s good to know Terry!  I guess I have no need to worry. The case does seem very well made.

• B 26354 likes this

#27 Ralph Watkins

Ralph Watkins

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:14 PM

I was stationed in West Berlin back in the 1980s.  We used to be able to go to the Soviet sector & they had the Zeiss shop across the street from Alexanderplatz.  I purchased 4 pairs of binoculars.  A pair of 8x30s, a 10x50W Jenoptem, & two pairs of the 7x40 BG/As.  The 8x30s & 10x50s did not come with caps.  Both came with the zippered vinyl cases which were practically useless.  The zippers never worked well.  The 8x30s I gave away but I still have the others.  The 7x40 BG/A, the civilian version of the EDFs still had the built-in caps.  I picked up a pair of 10x50 Dekarems with the 1Q symbol on them & they are the best.

• Corcaroli78, Foss and Terra Nova like this

#28 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:58 PM

That’s good to know Terry!  I guess I have no need to worry. The case does seem very well made.

Agena has quite a selection of caps:

https://agenaastro.c...d-caps.html?p=6

If I need bino caps, that’s where I go.

• Terra Nova likes this

#29 Martin123

Martin123

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wales UK

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:13 AM

I got tethered O.L. covers for my 10x50 Jenoptem from:

https://www.opticron...ive-lens-covers

I think there may be an option for tethered eyepeice  covers as well

P.S. I love these bins

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#30 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:12 AM

I was stationed in West Berlin back in the 1980s.  We used to be able to go to the Soviet sector & they had the Zeiss shop across the street from Alexanderplatz.  I purchased 4 pairs of binoculars.  A pair of 8x30s, a 10x50W Jenoptem, & two pairs of the 7x40 BG/As.  The 8x30s & 10x50s did not come with caps.  Both came with the zippered vinyl cases which were practically useless.  The zippers never worked well.  The 8x30s I gave away but I still have the others.  The 7x40 BG/A, the civilian version of the EDFs still had the built-in caps.  I picked up a pair of 10x50 Dekarems with the 1Q symbol on them & they are the best.

I have heard about the Zeiss shop in Alexander Platz from several CN members. Being there so many times in the last years, I simply can not imagine how nice would have been to visit it, like a candy shop.. did CZJ sell the whole astro equipment there? or just cameras and binoculars for tourists?

But back to the topic of the CZJ 10x50 cases, i have had the three leather cases: the one like Terra´s binos, and the two with zipper: with polished leather and the more squared one with mat leather. i only have the latest for all my Zeiss binos, it is more compact and we can use the strap as the case strap.....   sorry, just my opinion about Zeiss cases :-)

Clear skies

Carlos 

#31 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:19 AM

I have heard about the Zeiss shop in Alexander Platz from several CN members. Being there so many times in the last years, I simply can not imagine how nice would have been to visit it, like a candy shop.. did CZJ sell the whole astro equipment there? or just cameras and binoculars for tourists?

You can search/find a few pictures here.

IIRC the one in Jena had cameras, binos and maybe an 80mm OTA. My high school had an 80mm OTA. Anything larger would have been in clubs or Volkssternwarte.

Edited by ihf, 21 November 2020 - 10:23 AM.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#32 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:28 AM

Were the 10x50 Dekarems not CZJ's equivalent of CZ Oberkochen 10x50?

#33 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:14 PM

You can search/find a few pictures here.

IIRC the one in Jena had cameras, binos and maybe an 80mm OTA. My high school had an 80mm OTA. Anything larger would have been in clubs or Volkssternwarte.

Many thanks ihf,

I made a search with "Zeiss" as criteria, very nice pictures. the shop looks big.  In my son´s school in Magdeburg, they still have a Telementor in the Physik Labor.

I need to look for binoculars in those pictures

Carlos

• ihf likes this

#34 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:39 PM

Were the 10x50 Dekarems not CZJ's equivalent of CZ Oberkochen 10x50?

To my understanding, the CZ Oberkochen 10x50 is similar (but not the same) to the Jena model. Both have the same field of view, with the Oberkochen having the focuser at the front of the hinge and a different body shape. Optically is regarded to be superior to his Jena brother (but not by a big difference), from specs, the Oberkochen has less eye relief (9 mm vs 12 mm). While is very easy to find the CZJ, is relatively hard to get a Oberkochen model for less than 350 usd. It is regarded as the "binocular of the century".

Whether the Oberkochen model is superior to the Nobilem or the Docter equivalent is not known to me, but for sure J. Gardavsky knows it.

Carlos 

• 25585 and j.gardavsky like this

#35 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 02:02 AM

I made a search with "Zeiss" as criteria, very nice pictures. the shop looks big.  In my son´s school in Magdeburg, they still have a Telementor in the Physik Labor.

It may have been a Telementor. I don't recall enough. In school it was used to project sunspots and maybe a partial eclipse. But I also like to think it was 80mm and not 63mm. But certainly private ownership of anything larger would have been unusual. Binoculars were way more common. More common than now maybe? Somehow consumer optics (cameras, binos) was not unobtainium, like cars, at that time. Magdeburg is a famous town. I don't hink I ever made it there though. Is it the Siemens school?

#36 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:29 PM

To my understanding, the CZ Oberkochen 10x50 is similar (but not the same) to the Jena model. Both have the same field of view, with the Oberkochen having the focuser at the front of the hinge and a different body shape. Optically is regarded to be superior to his Jena brother (but not by a big difference), from specs, the Oberkochen has less eye relief (9 mm vs 12 mm). While is very easy to find the CZJ, is relatively hard to get a Oberkochen model for less than 350 usd. It is regarded as the "binocular of the century".

Whether the Oberkochen model is superior to the Nobilem or the Docter equivalent is not known to me, but for sure J. Gardavsky knows it.

Carlos 

Hello Carlos, hello all,

the Docter Nobilem 15x60 Porro (in my collection) is regarded as a continuation of the Carl Zeiss West 15x60, designed and manufactured for the law enforcement.

On the web page of Jülich GmbH, they claim that the Carl Zeiss West is still better, and it still sells on the eBay for twice as much as the Docter (around 1,500 EUR).

The Docter Nobilem 8x56 Porro, I take for observing of the very faint large nebulae, seems to be quite unique among the German 8x56 Porros. Its contrast performance, and its transmissivity of light in a broad spectral range is very high.

The Docter Nobilem 7x50 is again unique due to its very high transmissivity on the long wavelengths of light, important for the long range viewing.It is dimming the sky glow, as also required for the "nautical binoculars. I take it for terrestrial. There used to be also the Docter Navidoc version.

The Carl Zeiss West counterparts look to me more compact, but so far I have had them in my hands and on my eyes (thanks to the vendors), they have suffered from the stray light problems lowering the contrast on the terrestrial targets against the bright skies.

So I don't have the Carl Zeiss West Porros, and sold the Carl Zeiss Jena Porros. I have also parted from my ZEISS West Classic (Silver) Edition roofs to refinance the hobby astronomy.

I am not saying that the Zeiss West and Zeiss Jena binoculars are a wrong choice, no way, but my eyes have been and they are more happy with the Docter Porros.

To each his/her own,

JG

Edited by j.gardavsky, 22 November 2020 - 05:31 PM.

• Corcaroli78, SandyHouTex and B 26354 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics