•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

More secure smartphone connection to NVD

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:48 AM

I’ve always wanted a more secure connection to my NVD than the digiscope adapters which made me nervous as I felt my phone could slip off easily.

I came up with this solution: https://photos.app.g...gb8VHQK4yez7dM9

Basically it’s an iPhone case with a 17mm thread used for phone screw on lenses. Then I attach a 17 to 52mm filter adapter Then I have a 52 to 46mm step down ring. The ocular of the NVD is 46mm so that threads on well.

With this setup my NV image fills about 75% of the height of the iPhone cameras’ FOV. See this image: https://photos.app.g...tvmvNJ3qRtesaV6

However it feels 10x more secure and I no longer worry about anything falling up the ground. It’s a trade off that I will take.

Now if there’s a way to go straight from the 17mm thread to the 46mm diameter of the threaded NV ocular...
  • GeezerGazer, Doug Culbertson, moshen and 2 others like this

#2 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

Just remember to rotate your eyepiece such that the long axis of the phone is aligned with gravity to minimize rotation of the diopter ring.

#3 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

In my case I used the NV at 1x or 3x so it was on a tripod which means I don’t have flexibility to rotate anything. Any options here?

#4 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:57 PM

1) Making a mount that utilizes the 1/4-20 thread on the base of the unit; or

2) An eyepiece with a locking diopter ring (courtesy Cnoct):

https://nvincorporat...ether-eyepiece/

#5 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:36 PM

Joe, I'm trying to visualize this set-up.  What are you attaching the 46mm adapter to on the NVD?  Are you completely removing the ocular and screwing the adapter to the housing?   There are no 46mm threads on my ocular.  

At the very rear of the ocular is a removable metal ring which is used to attach the rubber eye guard.  That ring screws into the ocular.  Perhaps you could have an adapter ring made from 17mm to whatever those threads are.  It could make a close connection that would be secure, and have no effect on the diopter ring.  Just a thought. 

Ray

#6 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

• Loc: Hawai'i

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:18 AM

Was thinking the split ring camera adapter, like this one...

gallery_139776_8407_45697.jpg

gallery_139776_8407_6502.jpg

gallery_139776_8407_45848.jpg

If so, there's enough play between the split ring grooves and eyecup retaining lip to allow the assembly to rotate, sometimes a bit to much play actually. 

• GeezerGazer likes this

#7 nimitz69

nimitz69

Vanguard

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

Oooohhh .... you just reminded me i have one of these. When i first got my NVD i purchased so that i could just use my Nikon D200 (I think) which would give me a very capable setup. And one of my AP stacking s/w programs will stack .raw format from DSLRs ...

NV imaging just got a lot more interesting

EDIT: now that my initial excitement is over I’m wondering if this will actually work? Don’t want to hijack this so I’ll start another thread ....

Edited by nimitz69, 27 July 2020 - 05:22 PM.

#8 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:22 AM

Ray, was showing you the adapter that joelin had incorporated not an alternative mounting option.

It's the part with the 46mm threads.

joelin can confirm but think he just left off the locking ring from the split ring kit.
  • GeezerGazer likes this

#9 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:58 AM

Joe, I'm trying to visualize this set-up. What are you attaching the 46mm adapter to on the NVD? Are you completely removing the ocular and screwing the adapter to the housing? There are no 46mm threads on my ocular.

At the very rear of the ocular is a removable metal ring which is used to attach the rubber eye guard. That ring screws into the ocular. Perhaps you could have an adapter ring made from 17mm to whatever those threads are. It could make a close connection that would be secure, and have no effect on the diopter ring. Just a thought.
Ray

Here are some more photos showing how it comes together

https://photos.app.g...AAxaVUQxNLbpuC8

Sorry for the confusion. Basically there are 4 pieces to it

Starting from the phone case with 17mm threads you use a 17->52mm filter adapter. Then a 52->46mm step down ring. Then the PVS14 camera adapter which has 46mm threads on one side and grips the eye cup ring on the other side. The eye cup ring then screws into the NVD’s ocular.

So all this is a lot of adapters. There surely must be a way to create a 17mm-> whatever thread the eye cup ring threads into. It currently doesn’t exist but might be worthwhile to invest it. Precise parts order?

Edited by joelin, 30 July 2020 - 01:11 AM.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#10 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:09 AM

I see, thank you Cnoct and Joe.  I am familiar with the split ring adapter; had one that seemed a bit sloppy in its connection to the eyecup ring.  I shimmed it with small pieces of card stock for a better connection.  

Joe, it does seem like a custom adapter is about the only way to achieve a closer connection.  Regarding your image, the link in post #1, I measured the diameter of the circular image compared to the height of the image (in landscape mode)... if that was an un-cropped image, it was 8.5mm/10mm, or 85%.  That's actually pretty good for a phone image. 

I made a phone bracket roughly based on the bracket that Jeff Morgan made.  It attaches to the NV housing via 1/4 x 20 tpi screw.  I haven't used it yet, but I fear that except for when I'm at a dark site, ambient light could be a problem because there is not a solid connection that blocks all extraneous light between the phone and ocular.  So your solution is another option that would certainly mitigate that problem.  

Here's what my bracket looks like.  It is very secure in holding the phone perfectly perpendicular to the NVD ocular and I am able to remove the eye guard ring from the ocular so the phone can be placed very close to the ocular.  But as you look at the last image, you can see that the eye lens of the ocular remains exposed because the corner of the phone does not cover it.  If I'm using a red or amber light to check things, or if there is any extraneous light (street lights, porch lights, car lights, etc), I'm afraid the light would reflect off of the ocular lens and into the phone camera lens.  Tests are needed.  But the bracket is quite simple and very rigid.  

NOW, why am I explaining this?  Because with the phone bracket that I have used for over 2 yrs., the circular NV image that is captured takes up 72% of the height of the phone camera image (in landscape mode).  With the new bracket I made, the eye guard ring is removed and the phone sits firmly against the ocular with no gap... it is as close as it can possibly be to the ocular, and the NV image that is captured is 76% of the height of the phone image.  So if your image is 85%, your system seems to be at just about a perfect distance from the ocular... assuming the photo you linked is not cropped from its original form.  

Ray

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0019.jpg

Edited by GeezerGazer, 31 July 2020 - 12:11 AM.

• Jeff Morgan, joelin, cnoct and 1 other like this

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

I really like the approach of not touching the diopter ring, or putting any flexure or load on the NV ocular. My own first effort on this did not sufficiently constrain the camera so it would often not be square to the NV ocular. I am liking Ray's design better.

Ray, I wonder if removing your phone case might in two ways. Firstly, getting the camera a bit closer to the ocular. Secondly, it is translucent and could possibly provide some background light.

Of course, dropping a small shroud over the NV ocular would also eliminate any shortcomings there.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#12 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:53 PM

Was thinking the split ring camera adapter, like this one...

gallery_139776_8407_45697.jpg

gallery_139776_8407_6502.jpg

gallery_139776_8407_45848.jpg

If so, there's enough play between the split ring grooves and eyecup retaining lip to allow the assembly to rotate, sometimes a bit to much play actually. 

Interesting locking ring. I seem to have lost or misplaced it : (

However it doesn't seem critical as Im still getting sturdy connections anyways.

Is there somewhere where I can get a replacement? 

Edited by joelin, 31 July 2020 - 01:54 PM.

#13 nimitz69

nimitz69

Vanguard

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Modarmory.com

Morovision 46mm camera adapter assembly for PVS-14

Edited by nimitz69, 31 July 2020 - 04:33 PM.

#14 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

Interesting locking ring. I seem to have lost or misplaced it : (

However it doesn't seem critical as Im still getting sturdy connections anyways.

Is there somewhere where I can get a replacement? 

For just that ring, yea you might get lucky with https://www.modarmory.com or you may have to to some tracking with others such as https://kdsportinggr...nd-accessories/ , https://wilcoxeng-re...m/products.html , http://nait.com/products-night-vision/ , https://nvincorporated.com , https://www.nvdevices.com etc... Might get lucky or just end up being better off buying a complete new one fi you really need it. 

#15 cnoct

cnoct

Viking 1

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:09 PM

Ray, Nice solid mound you've got there. 

• GeezerGazer likes this

#16 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:10 PM

https://www.armsunli...au-usa-tnvd.htm

This product has worked well for me. You screw it onto the device.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#17 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:50 AM

Golgo, that is the only phone bracket I have seen using threads for a secure connection to the NV ocular.  I like it!  Good find.  

Jeff, I'll try the bracket soon; I got distracted this past month!  I'll try my phone both with and without the case, but I don't think it will have much, if any impact on the NV image size. 

#18 joelin

joelin

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:54 AM

I’ve also used Golgo’s bracket with mixed feelings. The ocular does thread on which is ideal, but the clamp that holds my phone is a bit loose. My phone has rounded edges and the surface clamp is flat making it somewhat easy for the phone to slide out. It’s also somewhat tricky to position the ocular directly over the camera. The tightness of both the clamp and angle of the arm is controlled by a single thumb screw which is challenging to get right all at once.

Edited by joelin, 01 August 2020 - 11:57 AM.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#19 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

I’ve also used Golgo’s bracket with mixed feelings. The ocular does thread on which is ideal, but the clamp that holds my phone is a bit loose. My phone has rounded edges and the surface clamp is flat making it somewhat easy for the phone to slide out. It’s also somewhat tricky to position the ocular directly over the camera. The tightness of both the clamp and angle of the arm is controlled by a single thumb screw which is challenging to get right all at once.

It seems to work ok on mine, but that part of it is a little tricky. I bet we could add another piece to it to make it more secure. But with my phone it seems to work ok.

#20 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:37 PM

It might be possible to just switch the arm on the AU bracket to replace the arm on my inexpensive bracket... which has a separate thumbscrew to tighten the phone cradle.  That should make it no more difficult to use than my existing bracket which I find very convenient.  

If I understand correctly, the AU bracket screws into the ocular, replacing the eye cup ring.  Is that correct?  

Joe, do you still have that AU bracket that you tried?  Did you ever try it with a different phone cradle?  

Ray

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics