•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Forget it, please delete

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

Edited by Augustus, 26 July 2020 - 12:44 PM.

#2 Couder

Couder

Mariner 2

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

I never got involved in sidewalk astronomy, but have taken my scopes to the church parking lot. I put signs on the street "Telescope Viewing" and an arrow. Maybe I should add the word "FREE". Of course also star parties.

Maybe after the pandemic is over I'll try again. We haven't eaten fast food or takeout since this thing started and we both HATE TO COOK.

#3 Aaron_tragle

Aaron_tragle

Viking 1

• Loc: Richmond, Virginia

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:26 AM

My university typically has "star parties" twice a month, but due to human malware, this will not occur. While I cannot advertise I am doing outreach, if someone happens to pass I plan on asking if they want to take a look at something. It's the best I can do, I have been getting phone calls from friends asking "What is this star in the east?" alot more frequently than before this situation and they are stunned to hear that it is Jupiter, Saturn or what have you.

#4 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:30 AM

Given that the virus can spread through your eye, I've stopped sharing my views.  It breaks my heart, and offering people a look is one of my favorite things.  But, like so many things right now, it's just not worth risking a life.

#5 bobruben

bobruben

Explorer 1

• Loc: Urbana, IL

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:11 PM

I am missing sharing views with the public, except by social media. Perhaps younger folks will risk it, and more power to them, but right now, I won't share until there is a vaccine or a wonder drug.

#6 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

Hate to say it, but the logical thing to do right now is hold off till the pandemic passes. And, as we all know, time passes quickly. 

#7 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

Responses like this genuinely make me question the value of even posting to CN.

#8 E-Ray

E-Ray

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:14 PM

Augustus,

Our Psalm 19 Astronomy sidewalk group has various sizes of telescopes from a homemade 13" Dob to a small 3.5" Questar. I use my Celestron Evolution 8" and always get asked how much it costs. So I don't think you need big to get people's attention.

We really miss our monthly events in Central Texas! Our last event was in February.

As for resuming sidewalk events we have discussed the following:

1) We wear masks until herd immunity is developed but not require guests

2) We will have extra eyepieces that we can wipe down with antiseptic wipes between groups. Keep in mind that droplets and aerosols are the primary transmission - either breathe in or touch a surface with live virus and then you eye. 

3) Use small baggies on the focuser knobs and dispose between groups

4) I will use a 2" eyepiece on my Evolution 8" as it requires touching of a person putting their eye socket on the eyepiece cup. And wipe it down between groups. So I'm purchasing extra 2" eye eye cups to change between groups to allow them to dry and out-gas any antiseptic.

5) Periodically wipe down the area of the eyepiece and focuser knobs.

6) We will start with smaller venues like our neighborhood parks, the Square in Georgetown and the Water Tank in Round Rock, TX.

Blessings! Ed

#9 Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

Absolutely no point in putting yourself or your family at risk.

Can't say what people should do, but having had it, I'd not want anyone else to catch it.

#10 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:45 AM

Responses like this genuinely make me question the value of even posting to CN.

What.,You don't like hearing people say "stay home for now".,You removed your first post so I don't know what you asked or stated.,but if you think doing outreach now is a good idea you are pretty much alone there.,

If you don't like the replies you got that's to bad.,stop posting then.,

Your title to this thread is very negitive.,not sure what your problem is.,but you do seem to have one.,goodluck.,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics