•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 826 clutch question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guy Earle

Guy Earle

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 02:22 PM

Afternoon,

I picked up a late 70's 856 OTA a couple months ago but the mount was trashed, what few pieces they found in storage. I mounted it to a '65 RV-6 mount (in another post) but it was of course a bit wobbly. Yesterday I picked up an 826 (I think ~1983) that is in very nice condition. I cleaned up the primary, center-spotted it, but decided to test the mount last night with the 856 OTA on it. I threw my 25mm SWA into the focuser and to my shock the Moon had moved halfway out of the eyepiece after a few minutes. I took the motor housing off during my initial inspection and heard the motor going, so I thought all was good.

Today I've done a closer inspection and I think it has something to do with the clutch. I took the motor off and confirmed it was working fine. Then re-attached I could see the vertical worm gear turning, but the large RA worm gear is not. I've tested this a couple times, leaving it to go for a while but there is no movement. I've loosened the two housing screws and made sure the worm gear are engaged in the teeth of the wheel. The three clutch screws are tight. I move the scope in RA and the worm wheel does not move, but the silver clutch plate does. At this point I'm at a loss and would love suggestions.

Thanks,

Guy

Attached Thumbnails

• image000002 (5).jpg
  • image000001 (6).jpg
  • image000000 (18).jpg
  • image000003 (4).jpg

Edited by Guy Earle, 26 July 2020 - 02:22 PM.

• jim kuhns, icomet, Marc-Andre and 2 others like this

#2 Guy Earle

Guy Earle

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 03:13 PM

I found this specifically relevant thread and I'm hoping the alignment of the worm gear and worm wheel is the issue. I've adjusted so we will see in 20 minutes if this is it.

https://www.cloudyni...-track-anymore/

#3 vjstangelo

vjstangelo

Explorer 1

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:07 PM

There are 3 screws that pass through the silver plate to the backing. The clutch is a piece of Teflon sandwiched between the plate and the backing. Remove the 3 screws and male sure there is no oil from the worm on the Teflon. Put it back together and tighten the 3 screws just enough so that there is sufficient friction to move the plate when the worm turns the gear. It is a very simple design.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics