•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FSQ106 Camera Angle Adjuster hard to lock

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

Hi guys,

I have an original FSQ106 (vintage before FSQ106N). I'm having a really hard time locking down the Camera Angle Adjuster (CAA). Is this a feature or is there something I can adjust or fix to remedy this problem?

Thanks!

cytan

#2 Simcal

Simcal

Ranger 4

• Loc: Caledon, Ontario

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:07 PM

check this out: https://www.cloudyni...caa-tak-fs-102/

edit: the fsq CAA is a slightly different design, with three set screws (0.035” Allen wrench), which are sealed in with lacquer - requires a dab of acetone to release them.  I've sent you a PM regarding the instructions.

Edited by Simcal, 26 July 2020 - 11:11 PM.

#3 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:07 PM

Here's an update of what I did to fix the problem. After help from Simcal, I came to the conclusion that the CAA was slipping because of the weight of my image train (camera + filter wheel + oag). When the scope is unmounted and placed on a table, the locking was solid. But once it was mounted on my mount, the CAA easily slips.

My solution is cheap and simple. I added more friction using anti-skid pads available from Home Depot. They have sticky backs and are easily trimmed with scissors so that they can be stuck to the rubber stopper that is part of the CAA locking mechanism.

IMG_1700.jpeg

I still need to tighten the locking screw with a pair of pliers with another 1/2 turn to stop slippage. But it's a lot better than before.

cytan 

Edited by cytan299, 01 August 2020 - 03:07 PM.

#4 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:03 PM

Seems that grease gone through the rotary piece inside CAA. So when you tight the lock down, the rubber stopper doesn't contact with metal but grease. Avoiding the firmly locking.

I repared once a CAA with this issue by disassembling it, cleaning all grease (including rubber stopper) and regreasing correctly.

Edited by edif300, 01 August 2020 - 05:07 PM.

• Kunama likes this

#5 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:50 PM

Seems that grease gone through the rotary piece inside CAA. So when you tight the lock down, the rubber stopper doesn't contact with metal but grease. Avoiding the firmly locking.

I repared once a CAA with this issue by disassembling it, cleaning all grease (including rubber stopper) and regreasing correctly.

Thanks for the info. If my fix doesn't work, I'll disassemble and clean. 

cytan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics