•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does a Questar Axial Port to 1 1/4" eyepiece adapter exist?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jrscpu2004

jrscpu2004

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

I read an early forum that showed this adapter. I already have the Televue adapter, but I would like to have something like this for the Axial Port  My Questar is a 1968 vintage one.

Any of these adapters available for sale?

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 28 July 2020 - 06:29 PM

https://www.cloudyni...l-port-adapter/

#3 jrscpu2004

jrscpu2004

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:58 PM

Thank you. Does anyone know if a Questar Duplex’s Port been the same thread size and
in particular, my 1968 model?

#4 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:02 PM

I'm sure someone on the forum knows, but a quick phone call to Questar will answer your question. smile.gif

#5 jrscpu2004

jrscpu2004

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

That might be a problem. I called Questar about 3 weeks ago. Of course you have to leave a message. I did and included my telephone number & name.

I never got a return call. The week before that, I had made them an email requesting information too. That email was not replied to as well.

In my book, that's bad customer service support.

I did a quick search for the 19431-03A or the 13071 and it's almost as available as the Lock Nest Monster.

Seriously, I can't believe another company hasn't made this product since Questar isn't suppling them fast enough or at all.

The only hit I got on this is on the Astromart website, but it lists a note, " more on the way", so I'm guessing it just is Not available!

#6 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

There were two axial port sizes, small and large.  The early small ones were the same thread as the eyepiece holder.  The larger is bigger.  The current axial port adapter fits the newer scopes with the bigger opening.  But if you have the smaller real old style port, the eyepiece holder or TeleVue unit will fit.

Dave

#7 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:58 PM

That might be a problem. I called Questar about 3 weeks ago. Of course you have to leave a message. I did and included my telephone number & name.

I never got a return call. The week before that, I had made them an email requesting information too. That email was not replied to as well.

I did a quick search for the 19431-03A or the 13071 and it's almost as available as the Lock Nest Monster.

Seriously, I can't believe another company hasn't made this product since Questar isn't suppling them fast enough or at all.

The only hit I got on this is on the Astromart website, but it lists a note, " more on the way", so I'm guessing it just is Not available!

I spoke with them a few weeks ago. Due to the coronavirus their hours are very limited and their staff is minimal right now. I think your best bet of getting hold of someone is earlier in the morning around 9:00 AM or so. Jim Reichart has been there, and sometimes he's the only one, and has been out of the office by 3:00 PM as I recall. If you do manage to get in touch with him, his customer service is above and beyond, He is excellent to deal with. 

V/R

Terry

• Terra Nova likes this

#8 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:30 AM

My Mech Eng son is looking at having a side business making astro doodads. Perhaps this is something he could offer. 

Other suggestions welcome as well!

Peter

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:23 AM

They are an old-school small business.  If you assume they don't return emails or voice messages (they do, but not perfectly) and just call back, you'll be happiest.  When you do get in touch with them, you'll find that the quality of the service greatly exceeds the speed and reliability.

• TerryWood, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#10 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:23 AM

My Mech Eng son is looking at having a side business making astro doodads. Perhaps this is something he could offer. 

Other suggestions welcome as well!

Peter

PM me if he's interested in small custom machining projects.

#11 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:01 PM

On my 1961 vintage Q, I can unscrew the silver tube that holds the eyepiece and it will then screw in the axial port. I can screw the axial port cover over the 90 degree prism port to protect it.  I can then stay with the original eyepiece in the axial port  or use my TeleVue adapter if I want to use modern ones.

- Dave 

• TerryWood likes this

#12 jrscpu2004

jrscpu2004

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

I called Questar once more today, and I got Jim R. @ Questar. My emails were going to the other Jim @ Questar.

In any case, he has those P./N- 19431-03A  1 1/4" Slip Fit Low Profile Tubes at $75 plus UPS shipping. Mine will go out

on Monday. Thank you everybody!

• Terra Nova and JamesMStephens like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics