•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion EON 120mm f/7.5 ED on the way!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rye, NH, USA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

Greetings all,

I haven't been out on CN much lately but am having a wonderful summer of observing up here in New Hampshire. NEOWISE was really cool, and I have otherwise spent many mornings and evenings roaming up and down the Milky Way and other parts of the sky:  all good!

I have been using most of my scopes and binoculars but among my scopes I do tend to use a refractor on a manual alt-az mount most often - just because these scopes are really easy to grab and get out with. I run them with dew heaters and in manual star hopping mode with Telrad and a 9x50 RACI optical finder and they are very enjoyable. And, among these I have actually been leaning toward my 150mm f/5 achromat - for "just that much more" aperture than my smaller refractors. (I am primarily a deep sky observer.) But the images in this scope do break down when pushed above lower magnification...

My Tak 100mm puts up clean, beautiful images but I find that I enjoy the 150mm f/5 more for DSO observing (and my 10" dob significantly more than the 150mm when I take the time to get it out). The 150mm is a pretty hefty scope, but I can haul it on a tripod in one go. It still feels small compared to my dob in terms of aperture, but it's got some reasonable punch and I can see a lot with it. BUT, the scope just feels too limited on the top end regarding color rendition and usable magnification while retaining clean images. (I know you can use yellow filters, etc., and have tried this but would rather have all of the light coming through the eyepiece.)

A 150mm-class ED refractor is just too big and too expensive for me - I would just go with my dob before doing that. So, I am going to try to "split the difference" and see if a 120mm ED might not be the ticket by bringing better optics to the table while still retaining enough aperture to do what I want to do with an easily portable refractor. (I think I can hear a good laugh coming from a certain astronomer down in Texas who did indeed advise me to go bigger than 100mm for an ED refractor back when I got my Tak...) I have had a Skywatcher 100ED f/9 in the past and know the optics were great and that the OTA is significantly longer than my smaller refractors. I'm sure my SV M2 mount can handle the 120mm easily and I have tripods that are up to the job. And, it looks like the EON build is substantially nicer than the Skywatcher ED scopes. 

Hopefully, the 120ED Eon will check all the boxes. We will see...  :^))

Edited by WyattDavis, 29 July 2020 - 07:37 AM.

• Jacques, Jon Isaacs, zjc26138 and 8 others like this

#2 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:50 AM

You’ll love your EON.  I’ve had that scope for a few years and they are great.

• Jon Isaacs, Crow Haven, eros312 and 1 other like this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:07 AM

Hopefully, the 120ED Eon will check all the boxes. We will see...  :^))

The 120 mm Eon checks all the boxes for me...

It's a beauty to look at and look through.

Jon

• Crow Haven and WyattDavis like this

#4 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

For its size and capability in the price range, I don't think you can go wrong.  I still love mine and find it easier to transport and easier on the mount requirements than my 150 ED. grin.gif

• WyattDavis likes this

#5 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

For its size and capability in the price range, I don't think you can go wrong.  I still love mine and find it easier to transport and easier on the mount requirements than my 150 ED. grin.gif

That's good to know and what I am hoping for. How you find the "tradeoff" between the 120mm EON's ED lens and the 150mm achromat lens? I'm hoping the ED optical performance will bridge at least part of the 1" difference in aperture.

#6 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

120ed EON is a good scope. Consider the new AT-125EDL  in this category. 

• WyattDavis likes this

#7 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

That's good to know and what I am hoping for. How you find the "tradeoff" between the 120mm EON's ED lens and the 150mm achromat lens? I'm hoping the ED optical performance will bridge at least part of the 1" difference in aperture.

I have the SW 150 ED and the view is a little brighter, a little more resolution, and the color correction is close to the EON 120.  I also have a Celestron 150 f/5 achro but has noticable CA on bright objects, yet great for wide views of DSOs in the 6" category and so much more compact at 16 lbs.  The EON is a very nice sweet spot for ease of use and views. 

• Jon_Doh and WyattDavis like this

#8 John Carlini

John Carlini

Messenger

• Loc: Northern Wyoming

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:54 AM

The EON 120mm f/7.5 ED looks to made by Long Perng for Orion. I have the EON 110mm f/6, also made by Long Perng, and really like it. Here is the link for the white LP 120:

http://www.longperng...?act=view&no=13

• WyattDavis likes this

#9 WyattDavis

WyattDavis

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

The scope arrived last week and I got it out for first light. The optics looked good, but there were issues with the stock focuser - a lot of slip and the whole thing felt "grainy/gravely" and vibrated/made whining noises when in use. I worked all of that out with the seller and ended up with a new Moonlite unit. Just got that installed today and got everything mounted up. Here's the final product:

Orion EON 120mm.jpeg

The scope is slightly longer but slightly lighter than my 150mm f/5; I think it's going to be a good fit for my M2 + TR3 tripod. It's definitely large, but I can still move it + the tripod and mount without too much effort. So far so good. May get some clear skies in the AM and if so I will get another first light in with a functioning focuser this time. Mars has been looking good in a 4" refractor recently - looking forward to giving it a go with the EON.

• eros312, SandyHouTex, denis0007dl and 1 other like this

#10 chaoscosmos

chaoscosmos

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mission Viejo CA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

The scope arrived last week and I got it out for first light. The optics looked good, but there were issues with the stock focuser - a lot of slip and the whole thing felt "grainy/gravely" and vibrated/made whining noises when in use. I worked all of that out with the seller and ended up with a new Moonlite unit. Just got that installed today and got everything mounted up. Here's the final product:

attachicon.gifOrion EON 120mm.jpeg

The scope is slightly longer but slightly lighter than my 150mm f/5; I think it's going to be a good fit for my M2 + TR3 tripod. It's definitely large, but I can still move it + the tripod and mount without too much effort. So far so good. May get some clear skies in the AM and if so I will get another first light in with a functioning focuser this time. Mars has been looking good in a 4" refractor recently - looking forward to giving it a go with the EON.

Hi Wyatt, I’m curious how the Oberwerk has worked out for you handling the EON.

Ray

Edited by chaoscosmos, 13 January 2021 - 11:26 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics