•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buy .965 or get adapter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Midwest

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

I have an old (classic?) Bushnell 700mm fl 60mm scope that I only have one .965 eyepiece for, so I'd like to get some new ones.

Rather than buy .965 should I buy a .965 to 1.25 adapter so I can use my current eyepieces?  Any downside to that?

I know it's not an expensive scope but it's my first one so I'd like to use it; optics look good through that one Plossl I still have.

Also appreciate any advice about which 2 eyepiece sizes to buy.

thanks much

Edited by JJack, 29 July 2020 - 09:52 AM.

#2 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:58 AM

I see that Seibert Optics has a barlow that will accept 1.25 eyepieces (I think...) and fit into .965 scope; any thoughts on that?

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:01 AM

You could buy a .965 to 1.25" diagonal like this one: https://optcorp.com/...mirror-diagonal

#4 MJB

MJB

Sputnik

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

I'm not familiar with this scope - is there an adapter that screws into the focuser tube and is then is .965 to insert the diagonal? If so, you might be able to get a new piece here that will allow you to use a 1.25" diagonal. I did this recently with an old  refractor - I was able to get a Vixen part that did the job. If you enjoy the scope it's not too much of an investment to make it more versatile.

#5 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:48 AM

You could buy a .965 to 1.25" diagonal like this one: https://optcorp.com/...mirror-diagonal

I think that would work - do you think there's any downside optics-wise if I go to that setup?  Just wondering if the light scatters or any other negative things (I don't even know what questions to ask).

But, yes, that would fit as I just checked that 

Appreciate your thoughts

#6 JJack

JJack

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

I'm not familiar with this scope - is there an adapter that screws into the focuser tube and is then is .965 to insert the diagonal? If so, you might be able to get a new piece here that will allow you to use a 1.25" diagonal. I did this recently with an old  refractor - I was able to get a Vixen part that did the job. If you enjoy the scope it's not too much of an investment to make it more versatile.

Not sure about an adapter but there diagonal is a screw-in with a .965 (or thereabouts) size 

#7 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Messenger

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:10 AM

A 1.25"/ .965" diagonal is the better option. Placing an adapter on the .965" diagonal may not allow the use of some eyepieces unless the focuser has a draw extension tube for rough focusing.

• smyths77 and Bigern like this

#8 MJB

MJB

Sputnik

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:48 PM

I agree a 1.25"/.965 diagonal is a good way (and possibly easiest) way to go. I mention an adapter because I was able to use this:

https://www.bhphotov..._to_31_7mm.html

That meant I could use my existing 1.25" diagonals and not have to get a diagonal I could only use on that scope. Not knowing the OP's scope focus tube setup, I can't say if that'll work, but the Vixen adapter seems to be suitable for a pretty broad range of Japanese refractors.

• Jon Isaacs, GoldSpider and Bigern like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics