•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Modern age mount for classic telescopes

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scotland

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

This may get slightly heretical.

My question is based on the fact that a lot of us like to actually use our classic telescopes. Both my Swift refractors get used. My 839 60mm is mounted on a Skywatcher AZ3 and looks ugly as sin. I wonder if it would look better (and still perform as well) on the mount I had for a Pentax J80 I had long ago (and foolishly parted with)...

My 831 77mm sometimes goes out on my Vixen GP and that actually looks (and functions) fine, and is possibly even over-mounted on it. A Super Polaris would probably be more appropriate.

So my question really is, what modern-ish mounts do you use with your classic telescopes, that actually "fit" the scopes aesthetically and functionally? Pictures would be appreciated (as always)!

Ant cool.gif

Edited by Spyke, 29 July 2020 - 01:09 PM.

#2 Pentax Syntax

Pentax Syntax

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:57 PM

I have my 1967 Tasco TE mounted to a ES twilight II Alt-Az mount. On the other side I use one of my larger OTAs but often go out with just this setup. It’s a bit of an overkill for a 50mm refractor :-).

Attached Thumbnails

• 39538100-B034-47F9-A46F-12D2EFEF01B2.jpeg

Edited by Pentax Syntax, 29 July 2020 - 01:15 PM.

• Spyke, Bomber Bob and Astrolite like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:59 PM

I have a Tal 100 RS - 4" aperture and 1000mm focal length - presently sat on an EQ5, and it looks just right.

Might be helped that the EQ5 is white with a few black bits and the scope is also white with black dew shield and focuser and the tube rings are black. They kind of match each other.

• Spyke likes this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

My Vixen 120S is mounted on a GP/CG5 class dual drive Meade LX70 I bought last year when they were being closed out:

Attached Thumbnails

• 3ABF67C3-88AD-4A9D-9D90-FA42BB5D8343.jpeg

• Spyke, rcwolpert, combatdad and 6 others like this

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:53 PM

I have used my son-in-law's classic 60mm refractor on my Celestron AVX.  That's a fully modern mount that looks a lot like an older GEM.  

• Spyke likes this

#6 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

This is the best mount accessory I've ever come across.  It will accommodate anything from a 40mm scope up to an 80mm - perhaps even a bit larger.  I think this may have been sold by Takahashi and maybe some other company.  I have it bolted to a Celestron dovetail, so it will fit onto many mounts.

IMG_4886 - Edited.jpg

• Vesper818, Astrojensen, rcwolpert and 6 others like this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

You could make something like that out of hardwood.  Also, I made a Vixen dovetail out of wood for testing various things; it ended up going with my son-in-law's telescope.

#8 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:55 PM

The OP proably should have titled this thread differently.

Nobody seems to have read Spyke's actual question:

"what modern-ish mounts do you use with your classic telescopes, that actually "fit" the scopes aesthetically and functionally?"

In other words which modern-ish mounts do you use that looks the part, yet functions well?

• Spyke likes this

#9 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:07 PM

"what modern-ish mounts do you use with your classic telescopes, that actually "fit" the scopes aesthetically and functionally?"

In other words which modern-ish mounts do you use that looks the part, yet functions well?

waytogo.gif

#10 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:41 PM

I prefer modern telescopes on classic mounts.

• Bonco2 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#11 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:50 PM

Good point.  So if what is needed is not modern functionality (computers) but just good performance by the standards of yesteryear, built recently enough not to have deteriorated with age, what do people recommend?

Edited by Michael Covington, 29 July 2020 - 05:52 PM.

#12 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Messenger

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:25 PM

Like this. My Sears 76mm f/16 1966 telescope on my Orion Asrtroview mount. The mount is a sturdy platform for this telescope and I think it looks good on it. Sort of "vintage"?

Guido

Attached Thumbnails

• Sears76mm.JPG

• Spyke, Jim Curry, KentTolley and 7 others like this

#13 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:42 PM

My favorite modern mounting is the Universal Astronomics Unistar and

Losmandy GM8 Tripod.

Here it is with a 4 inch f/15 and I've had a Meade 10 inch SCT and D&G 6 inch

refractor on it !

Last picture shows the clamping feature.

Excellent mount with nice big Teflon bearings on both axis.

Robert

post-50896-0-66226300-1521596570.jpg

post-50896-0-69529000-1476141819.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 29 July 2020 - 06:49 PM.

• Spyke, combatdad, fjs and 5 others like this

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

My newest EQ mounts are 2 pairs of Meade & Mizar GEMs from the 1980s.  I can't see replacing USA & Japan made mounts for new China-made versions, but... I have no interest in Go-To capability.  If I wanted to make decent DSO images with a vintage fluorite like my Tak FC-50, I'd buy a modern mount with both axes motorized & computer controlled.  But for visual observing, I don't need that technology.  I'm happy with battery-powered motors -- no extension cords is nice.

• Spyke and oldmanastro like this

#15 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:31 PM

Okay??? Hmmm. I read the OPs question. How did I answer it wrong?

My Vixen 120S is mounted on a GP/CG5 class dual drive Meade LX70 I bought last year when they were being closed out:

• rcwolpert, Michael Covington and BFaucett like this

#16 Kasmos

Kasmos

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

Okay??? Hmmm. I read the OPs question. How did I answer it wrong?

Just a gut reaction to seeing the first three mounts posted. I did sort of pause for a moment  hmm.gif  on yours, but it does look a bit on the modern side to me. Your scope doesn't look too old (probably older than it looks), so it's not like putting a Clark on it.

Anyway, the OP gave my comment a thumbs up so seemed to agree, on the other hand he gave your post a 'Like' so.....

#17 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:27 AM

Just a gut reaction to seeing the first three mounts posted. I did sort of pause for a moment  hmm.gif  on yours, but it does look a bit on the modern side to me. Your scope doesn't look too old (probably older than it looks), so it's not like putting a Clark on it.

Anyway, the OP gave my comment a thumbs up so seemed to agree, on the other hand he gave your post a 'Like' so.....

I'm easily pleased!  grin.gif

The Vixen 120S on LXD does look "fitting" I think and will surely be pretty well matched, I'd imagine.

I love the Sears on Astroview mount - that does indeed look right.  

:cool:

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#18 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:51 AM

None that I am aware of. Aesthetics are not considered - suitability to task (specific functionality, ease-of-use, accuracy, settling time) is. All classics ride in rings on dovetails for flexibility. We don't colour-match. If any combination of new & old is lovely or ugly, I haven't noticed - it is dark most of the time and my eyes don't do well in twilight before and after. Good luck with your quest.

• fjs likes this

#19 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez (No one expects the Spanish Inquisition)

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:02 AM

I used to mount my Swift 831 OTA on more modern Takahashi mounts when I wanted GoTo. Some would say that they were "over-mounted" but as an imager, I'm not sure that is really a thing. I no longer have the Takahashi mounts, though so the 831 is back on it's (rather awkward IMO) stock mount.

I'd think that an older Vixen would be sweet.

• Spyke, rcwolpert and oldmanastro like this

#20 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:42 AM

I won’t be putting a classic scope on this mount anymore, (almost classic 20 y.o. Vixen ED102SS on Meade LX85). I just delivered it (the mount) to its new owner last night. The LX85 was my first, last, and only go-to mount. Like my LX70 mount pictured above, the LX85 is very capable CG-5 class mount, but with Meade AudioStar go-to built in. I bought it in April thinking I would use it while staying at home during the pandemic but I only used it a couple of times. After a lifetime of using atlases, setting circles, and binocular-guided star hopping it was something of an adjustment for me. Actually, something I found myself unwilling and unable to adjust to. The mount works very well, not only in finding, but also in tracking, but with my limited amount of backyard sky, my home is not the easiest place to find alignment stars and I bought this primarily for home use. The auto-align default was something of an ordeal for both the mount and myself, and it would continuously cycle through positions trying to find alignment stars, as it would want to point into my house, my neighbors house, trees, etc. trying to find them in the rather restricted backyard. Of course, the deck was a real challenge as it would be blocked on one side. Getting to the non-default and undocumented two-star or three star alignment routines was equally challenging given the obscure menu-tree structure. And of course, if I moved it from one location in the yard to another, I would have to go through all of that again. It would have done great if I were viewing in a large field or pasture but that is not my situation. Anywho, to say the least, I found it easier to continue to do things the old way with my driven but non go-to LX70 and CG4 mounts or my good old Edmund, Jaegers, and Zeiss GEMs, my atlases or Sky-Safari and my binoculars. Go-to done gone-and-went for me!

Attached Thumbnails

• F5979A43-2252-41DE-8CC2-12C2A5CDB1F0.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 30 July 2020 - 07:55 AM.

• Spyke, Astrojensen, rcwolpert and 4 others like this

#21 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:00 AM

IMHO its somewhat tragic that no-one makes a modern mount as elegant as say a Byers 58. One that just tracks, with slip clutches, big enough to take a good size APO or 10" SCT. Just a simple handset with slow motions, no GOTO.

While some come close (eg Takahashi and Losmandy G11) the aesthetic appeal is usually spoiled by ugly bits sticking out in odd places - motors and gearboxes especially. 

Skywatcher and iOptron in particular really ought to take some lessons in industrial design as their mounts are just plug ugly.

Edited by luxo II, 30 July 2020 - 08:03 AM.

• Spyke, Astrojensen, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#22 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

So my question really is, what modern-ish mounts do you use with your classic telescopes, that actually "fit" the scopes aesthetically and functionally? Pictures would be appreciated (as always)!

Ant cool.gif

I'm rather fond of my Sears 6344 riding on my Celestron CG-4. I'm not a Classics collector, however, and this is the only classic telescope that I own. Still, I think it looks rather nice.

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

med_gallery_230527_11193_153950.jpg

med_gallery_230527_11193_2090288.jpg

• Spyke, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#23 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:57 AM

Haint Blue goes with nearly everything very well!!

• Vesper818 and BFaucett like this

#24 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

I'm easily pleased!  grin.gif

The Vixen 120S on LXD does look "fitting" I think and will surely be pretty well matched, I'd imagine.

I love the Sears on Astroview mount - that does indeed look right.  

cool.gif

Gotta remember:  Back in the day, scopes & their mounts were sold as a kit / integrated package.  Those days are gone -- except for most SCTs on their fork mounts.  Pros & Cons to the current à la carte market.  I like that I have multi-scope mounts (saves space, plus time & effort for maintenance), but it means I have fewer (& fewer as I down-size) kits.

My Meade StarFinder pair:

Meade SF - Pedestal Restores S03 (Both).jpg

My Mizar Super Polaris & AR-1 pair:

2 Mizar EQ Mounts - Complete S02.jpg

My Takahashi EM-1S is a spare at this point, as it was mainly used with my Edmund 4" F15 -- that was a tough one to down-size!  I have only 2 alt/az mounts:  The Kenko KDS (Thanks Again, Charlie!!) for my smallest & lightest scopes, and my old Orion VersaGo 2 for the larger scopes up to 5" aperture.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 30 July 2020 - 12:12 PM.

• Spyke, KentTolley, Terra Nova and 8 others like this

#25 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

Now we're getting somewhere!  ;) 

Any Vixen Custom D users?

• Terra Nova and BFaucett like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics