•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar 5: Updates

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RMay

RMay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

Hi all, Jim Perkins (Q VP Operations) and I have been communicating about the new Q5, and he has allowed me to post some information for your review and comments, including a spec sheet and photo. Any errors and omissions due to my editing of his e-mail are solely my responsibility, as this is not a verbatim cut-and-paste of his message to me. Additionally, as an ex-Corporate marketing exec for over 35 years, I am erring on the side of caution regarding posting verbatim a few statements made, as features, benefits, and specifications may change without notice (consider this your 'be aware of forward-looking statements' caveat).

First updated versions of the Q5 were delivered to Questar earlier today. The newest version was designed to provide a full 25mm image size with a flat field edge to edge. Coma, astigmatism on off-axis will be reduced to almost zero. This will come into play with bigger CCD sensors and larger EP’s.

We accomplished this by adding 2 internal correcting/flattening elements, similar to the Q700mm super-telephoto lens developed in the mid 70’s, a design to fill a 35mm format film camera. Zero distortions edge to edge. This combo will make the Q5 as good as if not better than both the Q35 and Q7.  If you look at the optical graph vs Field size you will see that the sweet spot is right around 19mm for perfect zero error and overall across the field is well below diffraction limited performance (1/4WPV).

As it is designed now, the Q5 OTA can be mounted on a Q7 EQ base unit and many other German mounts with 1/4-20 or 3/8-16 threaded studs or 6” ring mounts. The goal is keep the DP unit weight down and fit in one case and possibly integrate a tripod/pier into the system.

The Q5 base will have the same slow motion manual control knobs, slip clutches and circles for setup and alignment. What will be new are built-in digital circles options, PG3 drive system and object catalogues, and an optional integrated elevation drive motor. The goal is to provide a Questar-like functional base with a possible GoTo function driven from the PG3. The problem here is power, speed and battery consumption, and the approach will be what I call 'slide-to': we will utilize the PG3 drive and Questar base built-in slip clutches. The user can push the OTA toward the object and then let the drive system do the final positioning. This will save time and battery use/life, and provide the GoTo effect. The slip clutches and slide-to are actually much faster and quieter than conventional GoTo bases.

I am still working on the object package and verifying data, currently at 24k objects. The PG3 can be used for all Questar bases converted to PG3 motors; the PG3 can be installed in any vintage Questar base.

The Q5 base will also have taller fork arms and a possible instrument slide to help with balancing the telescope for better elevation function and near-equator function. This will help with the low latitude issues using a fork arm approach on past Questar EQ bases, as near the equator the actual base limits the user's ability to polar align and view objects. The goal is to keep the look of the Questar but provide a modern, more functional unit geared for the next generation of star watchers and phones.

Feel free to post to the users group. I am open to suggestions and ideas.

Please post any questions, comments and suggestions to this thread (the file size of the PG3 spec sheet is too large to post).

Thanks,

Ron

Q5 Perkins July 20 small.jpg

Attached File  Q5 Field Model spec Sheet 2018.pdf   458.06KB   81 downloads

Edited by RMay, 30 July 2020 - 09:16 AM.

• cbwerner, Mike Allen, ianatcn and 7 others like this

#2 fender2547886

fender2547886

Sputnik

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:16 PM

this is great news! is everything manufactured in the U.S.A. (ota, mount etc...?

#3 RMay

RMay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

Manufacturing country of origin was not specifically stated but I expect as much (USA). I’ll compile a list of questions for them and will include this...

Ron

#4 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Messenger

• Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

One question to add: what is the weight of the barrel as depicted in the photo RMay added to the opening posting on its own (i.e., with no diagonal or lens caps on)? I had a look at the spec sheet and couldn’t find this critical bit of info for determining mounting requirements.

• RMay likes this

#5 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:39 PM

Here is a picture of the Q5 prototype that was on Questar's Facebook page. I hope that the picture (above) is the stripped down astro-version and that we will still be able to get a standard version Q5 with the same functionality as the Q3.5.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9789.JPG

• John Noble, ianatcn and rcwolpert like this

#6 Les Aperture

Les Aperture

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:26 PM

Thumpity-thump-thump... be still my heart!

Thank you for posting.

"Les"

• RMay likes this

#7 bulletdodger

bulletdodger

Vostok 1

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

Ron, Sir!

Thank you so very much for sharing Q5 progress information and photo with us. I consider us QFolk very privileged to be involved in seeing a concept undergoing the transition to finished product.
I note in your prototype photo it appears you have a 2 inch diagonal and eyepiece. Terry's photo shows the visual back and eyepiece sleeve to be 1.25. Was/Is there ever a consideration to allow the rear visual port to accommodate 2 inch
accessories. I think it would be a great idea, by the way! I understand the mechanical difficulty might completely outweigh the potential benefits.

Thanks once again, Sir!

Bob
  • RMay likes this

#8 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Apollo

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Has anyone from Questar mentioned anything about the projected cost? Not that I will ever be able to afford it but I am curious. Also, having dreamed about owning one still I was about 10, I am still excited about a new Questar coming out. I'm assuming that the control box will only be able to accomodate 1.25" eyepieces? I'm guessing that it would be difficult to design a control box that could take 2" eyepieces. 

Can't wait to see the ads will pics of the Q5.

Clear skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• RMay likes this

#9 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:20 AM

It's great to see the progress.  This is consistent with my prior conversations on a professional consulting basis that I've been unable to disclose.  The big optical deal is that field flattener.  This is an imagine scope in an imaging era.  My new Canon R5 arrives today, the first day of release of a game-changing digital camera.

New to me and admired is the shifting center of mass and other aspects to accommodate a large-sensor camera without accessible angles and requiring counterweights.

I'm not sure whose terminology use it is, but I like Q35 and Q7 along with the Q5 brand (I'm also a trademark attorney).

There is no doubt that this will be a control box scope like the Q35 and Q7.  Jim told me it will be a duplex style.

For me, it's hard to justify undocking the Q7 barrel from my mount to use a smaller Q5 scope, so while I may join the first adopters, I'll await a mount before giving it much use.

Pricing has been talked about here. 

For PG3, I've been told that it has a setting to install on any Q7 drive, so is versatile.  The library of objects isn't for me, and looking at how a phone strapped to a scope provides the same, I hope the electronic aspects aren't going to impede clean aesthetics. 

I'd love to see an integrated tripod/pier that traveled.  The knock on the Q7 is that you mount the barrel on a heavy mount, then need a mount to mount the mount. 

• JamesMStephens and RMay like this

#10 keval

keval

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

Ron -

Great news.  Thanks for sharing.

Could you possibly give us a shot of the new 5" next to a 3.5" for comparison purposes?

Thanks,

Kevin Lindsey

• RMay likes this

#11 RMay

RMay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:39 AM

Hi Kevin, good suggestion, and I’ll ask for this when I compile input for Jim later today.

As Ben notes above, costs have been discussed; per Jim’s email the various configurations (bare OTA to with mounts) will range in the ~$6,000 to $10,000 range, again with the caveat that these may change once they get it priced for retail sale.

Thanks,

Ron

#12 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

Here is a picture of the Q5 prototype that was on Questar's Facebook page. I hope that the picture (above) is the stripped down astro-version and that we will still be able to get a standard version Q5 with the same functionality as the Q3.5.

V/R

Terry

It looks like that is a raw casting for a Q35 control box sitting next to the Q5.  If so, it gives a good idea of scale.

• RMay likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics