•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion RV-6 3D Printed Parts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gingerbreadassassin

gingerbreadassassin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:25 PM

I made a couple of parts for my RV-6, and thought I might share them with you:

End/Dust caps

Bahtinov Mask

I'm planning to make an end cap that has a toggle inlet for the mirror side, not unlike what's discussed in this thread. I would like some input as to whether I should plan to accommodate a 40mm computer fan. Thoughts?

As a side note, I lost some of the nylon washers that sit along the polar axis shaft, and have been trying to find teflon/ptfe replacements, but no where seems to stock anything in those dimensions (1.004" ID x 1.4" OD x 1/16"). I'm going to try and cut some from a sheet, but did find one supplier that could make a minimum order of 100 of them for $250, and wanted to gauge interest here. 

#2 ANM

ANM

Vostok 1

• Loc: El Paso, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol system, Orion-Cygnus arm, Milkyway

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:01 PM

I've cut washers from plastic milk cartons...

• Jon Isaacs and gingerbreadassassin like this

#3 gingerbreadassassin

gingerbreadassassin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:17 PM

I made the PTFE washers the other day. If you have access to a drill press and a circle-cutting tool, they're relatively easy to make. The best way I found was to cut several blanks matching the outer diameter from the sheet all at once, then drive two brads through each of the blanks to keep them from spinning as you cut the inner diameter.

Cutting the blanks:

ptfe_washer_blank_cuts

Anchoring to sacrificial surface:
ptfe_washer_blank_anchor

Cutting inner diameter (make sure to flip around the cutting edge so the chamfer is on the unused material):
ptfe_washer_done

I tried using hole cutting bits, but they tended to not give as clean of an edge.

I replaced the three nylon washers on the polar axis, but they're not visible once assembled (and I now think that their primary purpose was to seal grease in the polar axis shaft). I had a couple extra so I put them on the declination shaft.

ptfe_washer_installed

• astro140, Terra Nova and Astrolite like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics