•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars tonight with the Questar 50th (Jul 29-30, 2020)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:38 AM

The seeing was average at best, but was surprisingly better earlier in the evening just after 10:00 PM. Although I will say it never rose above average, but fluctuated thereafter. My best capture of Jupiter was when it was only at 23 degrees elevation around 10:15 PM. My best Saturn was at 29 degrees just after midnight. Mars was at 48 degrees. I slightly enlarged Mars just to make it more visible.

I initially set up both my Questar 50th and the 1961 Questar Standard. Both performed excellent on the Moon. However when I turned them to Jupiter, the Q50th was much better both visually and imaging. Now, that may have been because of the older style mushroom eyepieces that came with the 1961 model. I'll have to get an eyepiece adapter to utilize more modern eyepieces and see if that is the culprit. I really like those eyepieces though...the style appeals to me. But then again, when trying to image Jupiter with it, it wasn't as sharp as the Q50th. Maybe it's just the older optics. Either way, I still like it!

I utilized the Questar Tri-Stand and ZWO 178MC for imaging out of the axial port. The colors on these may look wacky, I'm not sure. I've been staring at this screen for far too long while processing these and it messes with my color perception after awhile.

I tried enlarging the Jupiter and Saturn images, but so far it seems to look best keeping them in line with the proper scale.

I've have another look when I wake up to see if the colors look off. If so, I'll re-do them.

Thanks again for taking a gander.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• Saturn 7-30-2020 png.png
  • IMG_2625.PNG
  • Mars_ 7-30-2020_ png.png

Edited by TerryWood, 30 July 2020 - 04:07 AM.

• Paul Schroeder, davidmcgo, drprovi57 and 17 others like this

#2 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:57 AM

Very Nice !

Mark

• TerryWood likes this

#3 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:04 AM

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it! I'm considering stepping out the door to image Mars. My enthusiasm is waning due to lack of sleep though.

V/R

Terry

• clusterbuster likes this

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:08 AM

I went out and took a couple of captures of Mars. High clouds were starting to degrade things, but luckily I got something. I re-edited my post to include the image. I really need sleep....

V/R

Terry

• clusterbuster likes this

#5 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:04 AM

Nice Mars image as well...

Mark

• TerryWood likes this

#6 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:09 AM

Superb captures!!! Looks like Mars is showing some nice features through the "Little Q"!

• TerryWood likes this

#7 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:56 PM

Beautiful, Terry!

• TerryWood likes this

#8 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Ranger 4

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:02 AM

My favorite of the three is the Mars image.  Nice job on all three.

• TerryWood likes this

#9 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

Hey, thanks everybody! Been busy today so just now checking this. The weather forecast stinks so not sure when I'll have another chance, but they could be wrong...

V/R

Terry

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics