•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who still owns the Tasco/Vixen 8v telescope?

catadioptric classic observing report reflector
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 saturnViktorSakurai

saturnViktorSakurai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:21 PM

If someone still own one of these, let me know if it really works well? Have a good resolution? A good reach?

Could you post pictures of observations of the planets?

We can also make a comparison with the Celestron Powerseeker 127eq to the Tasco/Vixen 8V 

both have very similar focal aperture...Would it make a big difference? Even though they are both Catadioptric/Bird-Jones telescopes? 

The 8v is from 1990s... Does the 8v continue to work well? With good observation and long reach?

What do you think of him? Forgetting collimation ... what do you say about his performance?

Post pictures of your skies, if you have one, or lets compare with the Celestron, ok?! 

Edited by saturnViktorSakurai, 30 July 2020 - 11:30 PM.

#2 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:46 PM

I do not currently own one, but if it comes with the original mount, you'll find it much more stable than the Powerseeker. 

• Defenderslideguitar and saturnViktorSakurai like this

#3 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:46 AM

There are a few observing reports for the 8V scattered around CN. (And some on the SGL Forum, too.)  It's not a very good design, though Vixen executes it well.  I wouldn't trust the cheaper versions for decent performance.  Seems these have something like a Barlow lens in the focuser tube -- and how stable are they after racking in/out 100s of times?

An 8V popped up at a low price a few years ago, and I thought about buying it.  They're an uncommon Tasco, and I like the concept and the appearance as a Display.  If the 8V is made as well as that Vixen VMC200L that I had, it would easily out-perform the PowerSeeker 127.

#4 Astrolite

Astrolite

Viking 1

• Loc: S. Central Pennsylvania

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:48 AM

Yes I own one.

P1030127(rc).jpg

The purchase was made strictly for the mount. After having read all the negative print about this design and the difficulties in collimating it, I actually have never even looked through it. I found that it has the exact same focuser as my Celestron C4.5 and a swap was made because it was in slightly nicer condition. I also used the finder shoe on my C4.5. So it's just leaning in a corner, kinda a parts scope. The mount however, has been put to good use! Excellent mount!!

DSC_1478r.jpg

• deepwoods1, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#5 saturnViktorSakurai

saturnViktorSakurai

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:47 AM

ok, Astrolite! I really like the Newtonian standard. But tell me what do you think of the image through the telescope? Are they good or bad? Can we see planets clearly? would it still serve you well these days? I’m thinking in buying one...Can you post planets images, pictures of both telescopes?

#6 GreyDay

GreyDay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:11 AM

I was given a powerseeker 127.. notice i say "given". personally i wouldn't buy one! The bird jones design when done correctly can work as well as any newtonian, the powerseeker has not been done that well!

The views no matter which EP you use are only sharp for75-80% of the field the outer 20% sacrificed to coma. The focuser has tons of slop, collimation is made diffucult by only having philips screws, you have to take out the corrector from the focuser to collimate... i could go on.... mine languishes in the top cupboard, i wouldn't give it away! i wouldn't want to pass on the frustration and misery!

Like everyone here has said, i'd have the 8V for the mount, If you just want a  5" Newt buy the Astromaster 130P or Celestron C6-N. Anything as long as it's not bird jones!

#7 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:57 AM

I had one due to curiosity and it was only $75. Like others have said, the scope is just ok and annoying to collimate. The views are acceptable but underwhelming. The original rings Tasco used are very prone to dent the tube and most are. The Vixen Polaris mount that came with these on the other hand is fabulous. I put a RA drive on it. Unless you can get it cheap for the mount, I would pass. I moved mine on shortly afterwards.

https://www.cloudyni...81786-tasco-8v/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: catadioptric, classic, observing report, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics