•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

impactite found

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:53 AM

Hello everyone, i would like to know if the rock that i have found is an impactite? Please let me know.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03773.JPG
  • DSC03772.JPG

Edited by stonesnuffer, 31 July 2020 - 07:37 AM.

#2 starbob1

starbob1

Vanguard

• Loc: IN

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:05 AM

No

#3 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:15 AM

No

volcanic?

#4 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:24 AM

volcanic?

That's certainly more likely. The abundance of vesicles would be characteristic of volcanic origin. That light colored inclusion though, that's what makes this specimen interesting. 

Lee

#5 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:33 AM

That's certainly more likely. The abundance of vesicles would be characteristic of volcanic origin. That light colored inclusion though, that's what makes this specimen interesting. 

Lee

Hi, i will make it more interesting. What you can't see on the photo's is that the rock has tiny melted and broken quartz particles in the whole rock. and the wall of the  gass bubbles are melted smooth glassy like. I do kep finding strange rocks or do the find me, hahaaha

• lee14 likes this

#6 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

If you're seeing quartz particles, a microscopic examination would determine if they are shocked. Shocked quartz is indicative of extreme stress, i.e. the result of a high energy impact. If you're able to find shocked quartz in any of your finds, that would be good evidence of meteoritic origin. Or, at the very least, an impactite resulting from the same.

Lee

• stonesnuffer likes this

#7 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:45 AM

If you're seeing quartz particles, a microscopic examination would determine if they are shocked. Shocked quartz is indicative of extreme stress, i.e. the result of a high energy impact. If you're able to find shocked quartz in any of your finds, that would be good evidence of meteoritic origin. Or, at the very least, an impactite resulting from the same.

Lee

how rare is it to find a impactite in the netherlands or in general? i will take it to the natural museum and put it under the licht microscop to look for shock features. Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics