•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

24mm Eyepieces for Binoviewing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mlehere

Mlehere

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

I'm looking to ad a pair of 24mm eyepieces to mt Maxbright II for wide field viewing. I would love to have a pair of 24mm Panoptic but they are out of range of my budget. I looking for comments and input on either the 24mm Baader 68* eyepiece or the 24mm ES 68* eyepiece. Which of these would you consider if you were in my shoes? Both are within range price wise. Would one of these eyepieces be more comfortable or better lend itself to Binoviewing due to size or eye relief?

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:52 AM

The APM UFF 24mm have some fans in the binoculars forum for use in binoscopes. Perhaps do a search there.

• Jeff B likes this

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

I bought a pair of 24mm ES68's, thinking they would be superb in my bino, but in honesty, I don't use them much, far preferring my 25mm Zeiss microscope eyepieces, despite their 50° AFOV, compared to the 68° of the ES'es. The ES'es have quite a fat body and comparatively short eye relief, meaning they aren't anywhere near as comfortable as the Zeiss'es, and for binoviewing, comfort is king. 

The TV 24mm Panoptics are FAR better in this regard (I've tried them!), but oh, so expensive. 

Optically, the ES'es are really, really good, nothing wrong there.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

Out of the two listed I'd go with the ES. 

#5 betacygni

betacygni

Sputnik

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

I have a single ES 24mm and I personally wouldn’t buy a second for my Binoviewers, just too wide of an eyepiece body. It might look similar to the 24mm Panoptic in pictures, but it’s significantly larger/wider. On a budget I’d personally just go with a used pair of high quality 24mm plossls. If down the road you really wanted that extra true field of view, save up for used panoptics and sell your plossls hopefully without much loss. Larger apparent FOV isn’t as important in binoviewers due to the brain processing two eyes to appear larger, while comfort is a priority. For reference I sold my 24mm Panoptics in favor of my $40 25mm sterling plossls, even though on paper the Panoptics are better. I think personal preference/face shape plays a bigger role in binoviewing than typically found in mono mode. So buying used and trying out different options to see what works becomes a bit more important to avoid breaking the bank.
  • Astrojensen likes this

#6 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:15 PM

The APM UFF 24mm have some fans in the binoculars forum for use in binoscopes. Perhaps do a search there.

Include me as a fan.  But they are big and heavy.  But I preferred them to my 24 Pans so the Pans were sold and went out the door.  The UFF's came in...along with about $120 USD to spare from the sale of the Pans.

And NO STINKING UNDERCUTS!

Jeff

• denis0007dl likes this

#7 emilslomi

emilslomi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:50 AM

I have the UFF 24s for binoviewing. Of the Hyperion line, the longest I have is the 21. The UFFs are very, very nice - both comfort and views - but quite heavy. At f7 or below, I prefer them to anything else I have around that focal length. Your mounts should cope fine, but the weight may become problematic on smaller manual mounts with poor clutch control.

Emil

• Jeff B likes this

#8 M44

M44

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted Today, 12:37 AM

I would go for any decent 24/25mm plossl with 50/52 deg. I use Brandon 24mm and ES 24 68 deg. I like both optically but I dislike the heavy ES 24s. 

#9 bigdob24

bigdob24

Apollo

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted Today, 08:10 AM

I have sets of 15mm and 10mm APMs for solar observing and they are a good choice, 

I feel my 24 Pans give a view that’s shaper and crisper than the APMs but they are acceptable and that reflects in the price.

I’ve had 2 sets of 24 Pans over the years sold the first set and realized it was a mistake and bought the second set and they will be the last eyepieces I get rid of, there that good for Bino viewing 

• denis0007dl likes this

#10 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted Today, 12:44 PM

May I add Celestron X-Cels 25mm. I use them in a bino. Not heavy and good quality with good ergonomics.

#11 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted Today, 06:31 PM

med_gallery_249298_5348_115494.jpg

A millimetre longer, but lightweight, sharp and well contrasted.

https://www.teleskop...iverguetet.html

#12 BWAZ

BWAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted Today, 06:40 PM

Try a pair of ES 62 deg 26mm eyepieces. They would go well along with a narrow beam of light say f10 or above. On your C8HD with some OCA in place, you can achieve almost perfect edge performance, let alone the comfy eye placement which in turn let you see more. The other plus is its weight, very binoviewer friendly. 

I've been through so many pairs of eyepieces and found my peace with the 26mm's with the widest FOV in a 1.25" format. My binoviwer do support 2" format and come with a 30mm CA, so if I want more AFOV, I'll just switch to the 2" eyepieces. 

#13 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted Today, 09:17 PM

My take on the 24mm binoviewer eyepieces.

I had a pair of TV 24mm Panoptics (kept one, sold one).

Had a pair of ES 24mm 68° (4 or 5 years ago) - both sold long ago - the 24mm Pans were much better.

Current have a pair of APM 24 UFF - definitely prefer over the Pan 24mm.

Wait to you try the Zeiss W-Pl or E-Pl 25mm focusable microscope eyepieces - 3 element aspherics or 4 element orthoscopics.
They only lack in AFOV. Much better optically than any of the fore mentioned eyepieces, especially in contrast.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics