•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question for Esprit 100 Owners

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 F-Astro

F-Astro

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: NW Arkansas

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

I am a new owner of an Skywatcher Esprit 100, waiting for my CEM40 to be stocked and shipped. I plan to add the Skywatcher 50mm Evoguide scope and an undetermined guide camera, mounted on a dovetail rail attached to the rings. My question concerns the short dovetail plate the Esprit 100 comes with. The plate is only 5 inches long - is this plate sufficient for balancing the scope and the 50mm Evo guide scope or should I invest in a longer plate. If yes, recommendations?

Many thanks,

Fran 

#2 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:19 PM

I use a 14" Losmandy dovetail, but I had it before. It works perfectly with my Esprit 100.

https://www.highpoin...series_losmandy

• F-Astro likes this

#3 drprovi57

drprovi57

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

I also use a 14" dovetail - adds little weight - but makes life easier.

• F-Astro likes this

#4 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:22 PM

I am a new owner of an Skywatcher Esprit 100, waiting for my CEM40 to be stocked and shipped. I plan to add the Skywatcher 50mm Evoguide scope and an undetermined guide camera, mounted on a dovetail rail attached to the rings. My question concerns the short dovetail plate the Esprit 100 comes with. The plate is only 5 inches long - is this plate sufficient for balancing the scope and the 50mm Evo guide scope or should I invest in a longer plate. If yes, recommendations?

Many thanks,

Fran 

I use a short Losmandy dovetail with my TV 102, but it is longer and I have a lot of leeway to move the scope back and forth in the clamshell to balance it.  In general, I find that a longer dovetail works better with my shorter scopes.  The challenge is you need to make sure you have good clearance for your focuser, etc....   

JMD

• F-Astro likes this

#5 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:13 PM

I do not have any problem with my Esprit's dovetail, but my G11's saddle is about 8", much longer than most mounts.  The dovetail extends about 1/2" past the end of my saddle.

• F-Astro likes this

#6 F-Astro

F-Astro

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: NW Arkansas

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:21 AM

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and confirming my suspicion that life would be easier with a longer plate. I believe the CEM40 has a 5 inch saddle which is the same length as the Skywatcher supplied plate and the Esprit is so short that there is almost no room to slide the scope in the clamshell rings. I have a 14 inch plate on its way for the top where I plan to mount the guidescope and hopefully the Pocket Powerbox Advance. ADM sells a 9 inch plate which looks like a good choice to replace the 5 inch plate from SW. Hopefully this combination will do the trick. 

#7 honyi

honyi

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:18 PM

Skywatcher does a 18cm (7") one as well. (https://www.teleskop...gth-180-mm.html) I have not found it at any US resellers, though.

• F-Astro likes this

#8 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences and confirming my suspicion that life would be easier with a longer plate. I believe the CEM40 has a 5 inch saddle which is the same length as the Skywatcher supplied plate and the Esprit is so short that there is almost no room to slide the scope in the clamshell rings. I have a 14 inch plate on its way for the top where I plan to mount the guidescope and hopefully the Pocket Powerbox Advance. ADM sells a 9 inch plate which looks like a good choice to replace the 5 inch plate from SW. Hopefully this combination will do the trick. 

ADM makes good stuff.  Farpoint  also sells these kind of plates, and of course so does losmandy, Orion, etc... I have plates from all of them, and they all work.   ADM and Losmandy plates are a bit nicer with respect to the number of holes/slots, etc that are provided for attachment, but the less expensive options work well too.  

JMD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics