•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

More satelite pollution now by Bezos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moravianus

Moravianus

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:12 PM

https://www.business...estement-2020-7

The government's decision only obliquely addressed the threat and growing impact of low-flying fleets of satellites to astronomy, and especially to radio astronomers. In its decision, the FCC noted avoiding such disruption is "not a condition" for its authorization, but that Amazon "should be aware of these facts" and work with the National Science Foundation to mitigate the problems.

#2 ppg677

ppg677

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:46 AM

I'm new to amateur astronomy and thought about getting into and investing in Astrophotography. Not anymore!

#3 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

I share the concern of others about the impact of LEO constellations on long-duration imaging (and professional RF astronomy). However, it is not a reason to abandon astrophotography altogether. Certainly short duration "lucky imaging" techniques will still work for planetary imaging. Narrow-field long-duration imaging of DSOs will not be affected much. There are also tools in image processing to avoid satellite trails in integrated images, especially of wide-field DSOs.

It is OK to feel concern and frustration at the changing night sky, but I for one will continue to point cameras there.

• jdupton, SciGlass and FLord like this

#4 Andrew Brown

Andrew Brown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about Blue Origin at the moment, a lot of hot air and not much else.

More likely a conspiracy to scupper Musks plans to use starlink profits to fund starship development, production and operation.

Yeah bezos doesn't seem to have much originality these days..you HAVE watched Elysium right?

https://www.youtube....h?v=WLh9ajzMyds

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics