•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collimation after new focuser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jesus Munoz

Jesus Munoz

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Corregidora, Qro. MÉXICO

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:08 PM

Hello,

I have a Takahashi FS-102 refractor and I want to automate the focusing process.  It has a Cercis Astro focus motor system.  I have been trying to autofocus through N.I.N.A. software routine with no success.  I think the stock focuser is the problem, so I’m planning to change it to an Optec or a Feathertouch with motors.

Do I have to recollimate the system?  Because it’s a refractor it is a little tricky to collimate (I think), so I must send it to TNR for service.  I am out of USA.  

What experiences have you had in this situation?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards

Jesús

#2 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:06 PM

If you don't do anything to the objective lens, - and you shouldn't need to, - anything done at the focuser end will be completely independent of it. Any collimation should only be in regard to proper focus distance and centering of new focuser. Which shouldn't be a problem either, I would guess. 

#3 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 31 July 2020 - 07:35 PM

Hello,

I have a Takahashi FS-102 refractor and I want to automate the focusing process.

Ah, you imaging guys.....

Two fingers are just not good enough for you....

• Nippon likes this

#4 edif300

edif300

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Basque Country

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:18 AM

Hello,

I have a Takahashi FS-102 refractor and I want to automate the focusing process.  It has a Cercis Astro focus motor system.  I have been trying to autofocus through N.I.N.A. software routine with no success.  I think the stock focuser is the problem, so I’m planning to change it to an Optec or a Feathertouch with motors.

Do I have to recollimate the system?  Because it’s a refractor it is a little tricky to collimate (I think), so I must send it to TNR for service.  I am out of USA.  

What experiences have you had in this situation?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards

Jesús

If you are able focusing manually -by your hands- focuser is working fine. Also you can try manually trough Cercis botons and Bahtinov mask and if you are able to focus, the focuser is fine. According how was built the focuser itself, don't even own an enough amount of backlash to be a real problem, since it has only a tension adjustment between the rack and pinion. So I don't see it.

Motor must go connected directy to pinion shaft. Never to MEF.

Another task is all adjusments relative to electric hardware and user software involved during autofocus to making good way its job...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics